Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Windmill go boom

On Nov 15, 6:53*am, aemeijers wrote:
George wrote:
Joe wrote:
On Nov 14, 1:26 pm, RicodJour wrote:
Posted in another newsgroup. *You don't get an idea of the scale of
the thing until it goes over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3FZtmlHwcA

Most interesting, as we have had 230-odd Vestas turbines in operation
here in McLean County, Illinois for about three years. Several hundred
more turbines are scheduled for building in the next few years here
and in nearby counties. I noted propeller blade replacement being done
on one recently. Occasionally, a unit will be stopped for some
maintenance while all the surrounding ones keep ponderously rotating,
making volts and amps for Ransley up there in Chicago. I haven't seen
any bird kill problems, but there have been reports of a few bat
kills. At night, seeing acres and acres of winking red warning lights
impresses visitors. Kind of neat. The farmers like having the lease
income from the operation, and the construction crews were and are
absolute models of efficiency and care for the terrain. Not much in
the way of downsides.

Joe

They were supposed to build a fairly large windfarm here in one of the
few places where it would make sense. There is a high end development
located around 5 miles from there. A few influential people were very
vocal about how it would destroy their "view" so they had the zoning
regulations changed to prevent windmills without explicitly preventing
them. The interesting part too is the windfarm was being built with
private money not with money the government picked out of our pockets.

NIMBY strilkes again. Stuff like that is one of the reasons they are now
talking about building them offshore, in areas with both wind, and out
of view of tourist beachs and rich folk cliffs. Oh yeah, that'll make
them cheaper and more resistant to weather.

--
aem sends...- Hide quoted text -

Nimby is being rammed up the rear of the only two complainers in this
county. Lacking any other reasonable argument (they tried all of them
and got shot down by science) they are using "low frequency sound" as
their objection now. County dads just _reduced_ the setbacks and
distance between towers in the local zoning. They had it at 5 times
tower height until it was pointedout that was far stricter than
anyplace else in the state.

Is there a problem with "low freuency noise" or it is just another
hoggoblin teh nimbys dreamed up?

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 14, 11:26*am, RicodJour wrote:
Posted in another newsgroup. *You don't get an idea of the scale of
the thing until it goes over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3FZtmlHwcA

I don't know if it was posted already. If it was the same one that
was on The Hisstory or TlC channels, the problem was failure of the
governor resulting in overspeed condition. Shed one blade which
caused rest of problem.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 14, 1:41*pm, mm wrote:
On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 12:24:11 -0800, Oren wrote:
On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 11:26:07 -0800 (PST), RicodJour
wrote:

Posted in another newsgroup. *You don't get an idea of the scale of
the thing until it goes over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3FZtmlHwcA

Maybe it needed an oil change :-)

How they knew this would happen and caught it on video is be beyond
me.

I thought about that too.

How does Funniest Home Videos have all those pictures of people doing
nothing special and then falling down?

For those with *dial-up, the video is only 40 seconds long....

So iirc about 10 minutes to dl with dial-up. * But watching it won't
answer these questions.

The answer is simple. It was a failuire of the governor. Resulted in
overspeed. One blade failed due to exceeding stress limit. Unbalance
caused remainder of problem. The governor failure was mentioned
somewhere in one of the shows.

No need to go into any "conspiracy theories" simple engineering
explanations cover it.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

I assume that windmills that big must have rotating blades like planes
(and probably also brakes) so they can be stopped in high winds. My
guess is that the rotating mechanism failed, and the brakes probably
aren't strong enough to stop it with the blades in the normal
position.

We did a convention in Las Vegas, and they brought in one of the blades. It
was the longest load I have ever seen come into the LVCC. I have seen two
or three of these going down the Interstate, but looking at them in National
Geographic, they must be some of the smaller ones compared to what's in
Europe. The ones on the Interstate were a caravan of guide cars, and I
would estimate that they were about 125' long. In England and Europe, they
can be built dockside, and then barged to the towers, never getting on
asphalt.

I would say that something failed, as those blades are meant to rotate so
that when they start spinning fast, they turn so that the edge hits the wind
straight on, therefore creating no spin.

No doubt about it in my mind as to what happened. Something or someone
screwed up. Yep. Definitely.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Then there are those exotic spirally ones that spin on a vertical
axis. Anyone ever seen those?"

Weren't those used on ships?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

I haven't seen
any bird kill problems, but there have been reports of a few bat
kills.

Would that be because the birds learned to avoid them, or all the birds were
dead?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

George wrote:
Joe wrote:
[...]

I do seem to remember the late Senator Kennedy objecting to some whirly-
gigs because it would destroy the view.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

George wrote:
Joe wrote:
[...]

It disrupts the feeding habits of the Three Legged Jumping Snail
and causes pet Pot Belly Pigs to stop that cute little snorting
sound they make which the pet owners find so adorable.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

"SteveB" wrote in message

[...]

It's called feathering. With the blades fully feathered, no brakes would be
necessary.

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4610 (20091115) __________

http://www.eset.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:
On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 11:32:55 -0800, David Nebenzahl
wrote:

On 11/14/2009 11:26 AM RicodJour spake thus:

Posted in another newsgroup. You don't get an idea of the scale of
the thing until it goes over.

One comment says a goose hit it, but it looks like all three blades
broke at once. I put my cursor just before it happened and watched
several times. There is no way to watch in slo-mo afaik??

And how did a goose breaking a blade bread the whole mast?

One of the blades hit the mast as it broke.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 11:42:46 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

George wrote:
Joe wrote:
[...]

DING Ding ding!

You win. It was not that long ago...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 09:56:57 -0700, "SteveB"
wrote:

No doubt about it in my mind as to what happened. Something or someone
screwed up. Yep. Definitely.

I'm glad you cleared that up for me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/14/2009 3:22 PM Neill Massello spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

Then there are those exotic spirally ones that spin on a vertical axis.
Anyone ever seen those?

Not in person, but I think they're only used for fairly small
installations near ground level, where space or height or aesthetic
considerations rule out one of the larger and (I'm guessing) more
efficient propeller-style units.

Here's a whole page of vertical-axis wind turbines:
http://www.wind-works.org/photos/PhotosVAWTs.html

(Most are from the late 70s-early 80s.)

--
Who needs a junta or a dictatorship when you have a Congress
blowing Wall Street, using the media as a condom?

- harvested from Usenet
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:

Is there a problem with "low freuency noise" or it is just another
hoggoblin teh nimbys dreamed up?

Harry K

It disrupts the feeding habits of the Three Legged Jumping Snail
and causes pet Pot Belly Pigs to stop that cute little snorting
sound they make which the pet owners find so adorable.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita.../accoustic.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

George wrote:
Joe wrote:
[...]

I have a mind like a steel....er, like a steel.....er, like a....

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob F wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Is there a problem with "low freuency noise" or it is just another
hoggoblin teh nimbys dreamed up?

Harry K

It disrupts the feeding habits of the Three Legged Jumping Snail
and causes pet Pot Belly Pigs to stop that cute little snorting
sound they make which the pet owners find so adorable.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita.../accoustic.htm

There have been some very interesting programs on about the
development of acoustic weapons. It was on The Military channel
if I remember correctly. Back when I was a damn hippie freak,
attending loud concerts, I had some bone rattling experiences
from the large acoustic transducers in front of the stage. It's
funny how our military uses that same music to torture man
caused disaster suspects. *snicker*

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Three windmills for $9.99 with valuable coupon!

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Red Green" wrote in message
RicodJour wrote in
:

Posted in another newsgroup. You don't get an idea of the
scale of
the thing until it goes over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3FZtmlHwcA

Probably a HF coupon item.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:

There have been some very interesting programs on about the
development of acoustic weapons. It was on The Military channel
if I remember correctly. Back when I was a damn hippie freak,
attending loud concerts, I had some bone rattling experiences
from the large acoustic transducers in front of the stage. It's
funny how our military uses that same music to torture man
caused disaster suspects. *snicker*

They were doing it to hippies back then, too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:
TDD

DING Ding ding!

You win. It was not that long ago...

I have a mind like a steel....er, like a steel.....er, like a....

Did you marry the girl who just can't say 'Nuu.. Nuuu, Nuuu!!!, Nuuu..."?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 17:04:30 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote:

The Daring Dufas wrote:

There have been some very interesting programs on about the
development of acoustic weapons. It was on The Military channel
if I remember correctly. Back when I was a damn hippie freak,
attending loud concerts, I had some bone rattling experiences
from the large acoustic transducers in front of the stage. It's
funny how our military uses that same music to torture man
caused disaster suspects. *snicker*

Yup! Parabolic speakers.

They were doing it to hippies back then, too.

"Application: Commercial application for parabolic speaker system are
listed as spaces like Airports, Shopping Malls and stadiums. They are
also used in by the police in situation like crowd control, hostage
crisis, anywhere where long throw intelligable audio is required."

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:
There have been some very interesting programs on about the
development of acoustic weapons. It was on The Military channel
if I remember correctly. Back when I was a damn hippie freak,
attending loud concerts, I had some bone rattling experiences
from the large acoustic transducers in front of the stage. It's
funny how our military uses that same music to torture man
caused disaster suspects. *snicker*

They were doing it to hippies back then, too.

So you saw "A Clockwork Orange" too.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:
TDD
DING Ding ding!

You win. It was not that long ago...

I have a mind like a steel....er, like a steel.....er, like a....

Did you marry the girl who just can't say 'Nuu.. Nuuu, Nuuu!!!, Nuuu..."?

I wish I could find one I could just stand to be around.
They all remind me of my mother, who is completely bonkers!
These days it's illegal to slap them upside the head in a
vain attempt to reboot their brain. *snicker*

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

RicodJour wrote:
Posted in another newsgroup. You don't get an idea of the scale of
the thing until it goes over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3FZtmlHwcA

Wow! Cool, if it's not yours!

I believed the reason someone was there with a camera is because the
generator/alternator had failed and there was no load or brakes to slow
the blades. It was an accident waiting to happen. If it had been
working properly it never would have spun that fast. At that rate of
speed I think as soon as one blade broke it became so off balance that
it instantly self destructed faster than that video, or video clip could
show. Do it again with a high speed camera! ;-)

Windmill Failure Vortex3 UK diy 8 February 26th 08 08:34 AM
WINDMILL J T Woodworking 0 April 23rd 07 04:33 AM
Windmill Part II?? EricP UK diy 41 January 3rd 07 11:28 AM
Windmill restoration Ted UK diy 6 December 12th 06 08:34 AM
Windmill types? Roger_Nickel Metalworking 23 March 15th 06 03:00 AM