Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Winterizing time

Hi All,

It's that time again. I'm hoping I don't forget any parts this year. I
took care of the car (flushed radiatior, refilled with new antifreeze). I
know we need to check all caulking around the house (next weekend). Also
drag out the space heaters for the garage and sunroom.

What else do the rest of you do?

Posted to alt.home.repair

cshenk wrote:
Hi All,

It's that time again. I'm hoping I don't forget any parts this year.
I took care of the car (flushed radiatior, refilled with new
antifreeze). I know we need to check all caulking around the house
(next weekend). Also drag out the space heaters for the garage and
sunroom.
What else do the rest of you do?

Well, here in these parts of the UK, the central heating has not been used
for many months and tend to sieze up over the summer. Need to check mine and
probably have to manually "give it a kick" to get it going.

Posted to alt.home.repair

cshenk wrote:
Hi All,

It's that time again. I'm hoping I don't forget any parts this year. I
took care of the car (flushed radiatior, refilled with new antifreeze).
I know we need to check all caulking around the house (next weekend).
Also drag out the space heaters for the garage and sunroom.

What else do the rest of you do?

Hi,
It's all done. Snowing this morning up here. Not that cold tho.
Posted to alt.home.repair

cshenk wrote:
Hi All,

It's that time again. I'm hoping I don't forget any parts this year. I
took care of the car (flushed radiatior, refilled with new antifreeze).
I know we need to check all caulking around the house (next weekend).
Also drag out the space heaters for the garage and sunroom.

What else do the rest of you do?

Turn off the AC, pack up shorts and tees, get out the sweat pants and
sweat shirts
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote:
cshenk wrote:
Hi All,

It's that time again. I'm hoping I don't forget any parts this
year. I took care of the car (flushed radiatior, refilled with new
antifreeze). I know we need to check all caulking around the house
(next weekend). Also drag out the space heaters for the garage and
sunroom. What else do the rest of you do?

Hi,
It's all done. Snowing this morning up here. Not that cold tho.

Snow! Please keep it on that side of the Pond. Just leave us a little bit
for scenary on Christmas Eve.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Clot wrote:
Tony Hwang wrote:
cshenk wrote:
Hi All,

It's that time again. I'm hoping I don't forget any parts this
year. I took care of the car (flushed radiatior, refilled with new
antifreeze). I know we need to check all caulking around the house
(next weekend). Also drag out the space heaters for the garage and
sunroom. What else do the rest of you do?

Hi,
It's all done. Snowing this morning up here. Not that cold tho.

Snow! Please keep it on that side of the Pond. Just leave us a little bit
for scenary on Christmas Eve.

Hey,
It used to come in early September years ago. Now it is early October! I
haven't started snow blower in years. Shovel and broom is
enough.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"cshenk" wrote in message
Hi All,

It's that time again. I'm hoping I don't forget any parts this year. I
took care of the car (flushed radiatior, refilled with new antifreeze). I
know we need to check all caulking around the house (next weekend). Also
drag out the space heaters for the garage and sunroom.

What else do the rest of you do?

The car is three years old so I may do the antifreeze, but then again, I may
not. I've often gone five+ years with the newer stuff, unlike the 50's and
60's.

The heat has already been on this year so I know it is working, put new
batteries in one of the thermostats.

Soon though, I'll be washing windows and putting the screens up and storm
window down, kitchen and bathroom are last for that.

The snowblower gets pulled to the front of the garage, the lawnmower to the
back.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

The car is three years old so I may do the antifreeze, but then again, I may
not. I've often gone five+ years with the newer stuff, unlike the 50's and
60's.

This is something I struggle with too...whether or not
it is even necessary to change antifreeze every year!
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Marina" wrote in message
"cshenk" wrote in
:

Hi All,

It's that time again. I'm hoping I don't forget any parts this year.
I took care of the car (flushed radiatior, refilled with new
antifreeze). I know we need to check all caulking around the house
(next weekend). Also drag out the space heaters for the garage and
sunroom.

What else do the rest of you do?

I've got 3 more windows to replace , boiler to get cleaned , leaves to take
care of(just started to drop) , planters and other garden stuff to put away
and I'll be pretty much ready except for putting the plow in the garage and
putting the studded snowtires on my wife's '06 Elantra which I won't do till
after Thanksgiving....They are mounted on different rims so the switch is
easy....That's near the end of Nov. for those across the pond and north of
the border...LOL..My 4X4 truck is ready......Oops , got a little more
caulking to do as well...Burned my massive brush pile from trimming my trees
and clearing brush out back today...A nice wet day for it...Boy did it still
burn FAST...Glad I waited for a wet day.....

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

My son's Audi says *don't* change it.

Ever???!!!

Then again, guess they're interest is in selling more Audis, not in
keeping existing ones going... ( sorta'... )

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
On Sat, 03 Oct 2009 13:26:02 -0500, wrote:

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

The car is three years old so I may do the antifreeze, but then again, I
may
not. I've often gone five+ years with the newer stuff, unlike the 50's
and
60's.
This is something I struggle with too...whether or not
it is even necessary to change antifreeze every year!

My GM manual says 5 yrs or 150k miles.

My son's Audi says *don't* change it.

Jim

My Hyundai manual says 60k miles, but I've done that in less than 3 years.
For most people it is 5 or so. My LeSabre has the original at 9 years and
125k. The car is deteriorating in other areas, but not the cooling system.
It is also the last Buick I'll ever own.

Heh. The water pump on my previous company car - an '05 Impala - failed
before I ever even thought it might be time to have the antifreeze
changed. I guess that was the antifreeze maintenance reminder. Kinda
sucked; it started spewing coolant while dropping the girl off at the
airport, had to stop and buy some bottled water just to make it home.

Hopefully the water pumps on the new 3.5 engines are more reliable than
the ones on the old POS 3.4... I actually kinda like the new one, was
thinking of buying it out when the lease is up if it's still in good shape.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

[...]

3.5, 3.4L. Crumbs never had anything larger than 2L. and see no reason to
have one that could guzzle fuel at such a rate.

Ahh, but hang on, my father has an MG with a 3.5L from Detroit and my
sister used to use a Sunbeam with a 5.7l from Detroit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Marina wrote:
"cshenk" wrote in
:

Hi All,

It's that time again. I'm hoping I don't forget any parts this year.
I took care of the car (flushed radiatior, refilled with new
antifreeze). I know we need to check all caulking around the house
(next weekend). Also drag out the space heaters for the garage and
sunroom.

What else do the rest of you do?

Had to turn on the furnace, already. 62 inside is too cold.

Sorry you've had to do that. I see the $s going up the chimney. Fortunately,
it is still 71 here and comfortable.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Clot wrote:

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

[...]

MG with a 3.5? What's that, the old Buick/Rover engine? Which model
would that be, I don't recall anything with more than four cylinders
making it stateside. And IIRC the Sunbeam Tiger used a Ford 289, which
is a 4.7 not 5.7. Still one bad little mofo of a car.

Actually the 3.5 V-6 in the Impala is not bad on gas... on the highway.
Around town it sucks, but I suspect that has more to do with the
size/bulk of the car than the engine design. I wouldn't have chosen it,
but it gets me around.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:
Clot wrote:

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

[...]

The MGB is 74/75 with the Buick/Rover engine.The Tiger had a transplant that
was larger than the original. I think I'm right that it was a 5.7L.

Last part snipped.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Clot wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
Clot wrote:

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

[...]

Dang, I bet an MGB with a Buick/Rover V-8 under the hood would be a kick
in the pants to drive. You guys get all the cool stuff on the other
side of the pond.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 03 Oct 2009 12:06:12 -0400, cshenk wrote:

Hi All,

It's that time again. I'm hoping I don't forget any parts this year. I
took care of the car (flushed radiatior, refilled with new antifreeze).

Last year I just used one of those testers, which claimed both car + truck
were good, but I'm a little wary of those - do they really work?

know we need to check all caulking around the house (next weekend).

Yes, I need to do the same. Also around vent pipes etc. for dryer,
furnace and such.

I took the screens down and put the storm windows on just a few days ago.
Still got to check all the seals around the windows.

Oh, make sure your heating system + backup (if you have one) works :-)

Might be worth checking the roof, too - seals where rooflines meet, around
chimneys etc.

What else do the rest of you do?

Put on extra layers, mostly ;-)
(house is late 1940's still with single-glazed wood-framed French windows,
and those darn things would have leaked air even when new)

cheers

Jules

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 3 Oct 2009 12:06:12 -0400, "cshenk" wrote:

Hi All,

It's that time again. I'm hoping I don't forget any parts this year. I
took care of the car (flushed radiatior, refilled with new antifreeze).

I hope you are not flushing that radiatior every year. With
modern radiators and fluids, every three years is good.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"cshenk" wrote:

It's that time again. I'm hoping I don't forget any parts this year. I
took care of the car (flushed radiatior, refilled with new antifreeze).

I hope you are not flushing that radiatior every year. With
modern radiators and fluids, every three years is good.

Naw, had it done at the dealership as a standard thing based on milage and
last time was in 2005 (previous owner's records). They also did the oil,
and something with transmission checks and such. Part of the package deal
when I bought the car, covers annual state inspections and a lot of little
things like that for the first 5 years (2007-2012) under the expanded
warrentee/maintenance contract.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"cshenk" wrote

It's that time again. I'm hoping I don't forget any parts this year. I

Good info from all and thanks!

I picked up that I had forgotten (again) the HVAC filter. Don just pulled
the old one from the heating part and replaced it.

The other one i forgot, was mentioned elsewhere and i;ll add it in for those
that have this need and may have forgotten. As it gets colder, the bugs and
spiders (and mice etc) start looking for a warm spot. This is the time when
here in my area, wolf spiders start jumping across the carpets if we don't
lay down good barriers. There is no way to keep them from the attached
garage which then allows a level of access into the house. At this
intermediate temp here, they also like to come in from the chimney.

This is the time to spray all entryways well and around doors and to keep
doing it until we hit nights in the low 30's. Check roof vent screens to
ensure no ingress to the attic (I have no soffit vents).

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jules" wrote

Last year I just used one of those testers, which claimed both car + truck
were good, but I'm a little wary of those - do they really work?

Well enough if you use a margin for error. The really cheap ones can be
10-15F degrees off but if it reads 'good to -20' and your area never hits
0F, you'll be fine.

Oh, be careful if you do decide to flush and drain. Anti-freeze is both
tastey and deadly to cats. (Dogs too I think?), well other wild-life as
well. When I have to drain it myself, I take a bucket and then make sure I
flush/dispose it safely based on the area's rules. In Japan, you dropped it
off at the local auto places (free under 10L, they paid you a little if
dropping off more so I gather there is some recyle thing they can do with
it). Here in my area, they want you to take it to the storm drains and dump
it where pets cant get at it.

I took the screens down and put the storm windows on just a few days ago.
Still got to check all the seals around the windows.

I'm a warmer climate as we don't have removable ones like that here.

Oh, make sure your heating system + backup (if you have one) works :-)

*big note* If you have a fireplace and didnt have it cleaned in spring, now
is the time. (ours was done and we are now on a 2 times a year schedule due
to heavy use, so it gets done again in Jan then April or so).

Might be worth checking the roof, too - seals where rooflines meet, around
chimneys etc.

Good point.

Put on extra layers, mostly ;-)
(house is late 1940's still with single-glazed wood-framed French windows,
and those darn things would have leaked air even when new)

Hehehe.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

cshenk wrote:
... Here in my area, they want you to take it to the storm
drains and dump it where pets cant get at it.

I have no idea where you are, but I'd surely be more than just surprised
there's anywhere that suggests you dispose of used antifreeze in the
storm sewers...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote
cshenk wrote:

... Here in my area, they want you to take it to the storm drains and
dump it where pets cant get at it.

I have no idea where you are, but I'd surely be more than just surprised
there's anywhere that suggests you dispose of used antifreeze in the storm
sewers...

Suprised me too, but that was what I'd been told in 1995. Folks then were
just draining it down the driveway to puddle and eventually hit a storm
drain. Folks did that too when I was a kid and would wonder why 'Fluffy'
never came home.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

cshenk wrote:
"dpb" wrote
cshenk wrote:

... Here in my area, they want you to take it to the storm drains and
dump it where pets cant get at it.

I have no idea where you are, but I'd surely be more than just
surprised there's anywhere that suggests you dispose of used
antifreeze in the storm sewers...

Suprised me too, but that was what I'd been told in 1995. ...

I'll bet you call and ask "powers in charge" and you'll be told
differently now (and would have been then, too)...

Posted to alt.home.repair

What else do the rest of you do?

Clean out the gutters and make sure the downpipes are clear

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 04 Oct 2009 11:25:45 -0400, cshenk wrote:

"Jules" wrote

Last year I just used one of those testers, which claimed both car + truck
were good, but I'm a little wary of those - do they really work?

Well enough if you use a margin for error. The really cheap ones can be
10-15F degrees off but if it reads 'good to -20' and your area never hits
0F, you'll be fine.

Hmm, our area gets down to about -30...

Oh, be careful if you do decide to flush and drain. Anti-freeze is both
tastey and deadly to cats. (Dogs too I think?), well other wild-life as
well. When I have to drain it myself, I take a bucket and then make sure I
flush/dispose it safely based on the area's rules.

Yeah, I'm not aware of any disposal point at the dump (just batteries and
oil). I'm about 8 miles out from the nearest town, so there's no storm
drains etc.

In the past I've just dumped it in our woodland and covered it to make
sure nothing gets at it.

I took the screens down and put the storm windows on just a few days
ago. Still got to check all the seals around the windows.

I'm a warmer climate as we don't have removable ones like that here.

I hate 'em... need to re-do all the windows sometime, but we'd like to
keep the same style (all French style with what, little 6x8" panels) and
those seem to be a lot more expensive new. Will pick away at them as time
goes on, but we've got twenty-something of 'em to do...

Oh, make sure your heating system + backup (if you have one) works :-)

*big note* If you have a fireplace and didnt have it cleaned in spring,
now is the time. (ours was done and we are now on a 2 times a year
schedule due to heavy use, so it gets done again in Jan then April or
so).

Not yet. Both I & wifey want one though; I grew up in places with big open
fireplaces. Big project though as I'll have to add a second chimney (due
to location of current one), so that's a few years off :-)

Keep hearing horror stories about chimney fires - my parents went about
18 years without having theirs cleaned (burning mainly coal and Apple
logs). They were probably lucky :-)

cheers

Jules

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 3 Oct 2009 12:06:12 -0400, "cshenk" wrote:

What else do the rest of you do?

Me?! I'm waiting for one more dip in the pool, before Thanksgiving.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Went 40 miles today to the cabin and drained all lines. RV antifreeze in
all the right places. Looked good. Drained the HW tank. Some years, I can
get in in winter, others not. Last year was heavy snow, and we had a long
wait for it to thaw out so we could drive up. Now it's time to do some
stuff around this house.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Van Chocstraw wrote:
cshenk wrote:
Hi All,

It's that time again. I'm hoping I don't forget any parts this
year. I took care of the car (flushed radiatior, refilled with new
antifreeze). I know we need to check all caulking around the house
(next weekend). Also drag out the space heaters for the garage and
sunroom. What else do the rest of you do?

Change oil in car, point it to Florida.

Doing that this side of the Pond, I might drown! Here, having a condo in
Spain is the nearest equivalent.

Winterizing cshenk Home Repair 4 October 18th 08 10:55 PM
winterizing my cottage's well... jack[_8_] Home Repair 3 October 8th 08 11:32 PM
winterizing a cabin franz fripplfrappl Home Repair 2 September 28th 08 12:20 AM
Winterizing a house Buddy Matlosz Home Repair 6 August 30th 07 02:49 PM
Trampoline Winterizing Tom Accuosti Home Ownership 2 November 10th 04 03:55 AM