Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default Winterizing time

Clot wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:
"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
On Sat, 03 Oct 2009 13:26:02 -0500, wrote:

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

The car is three years old so I may do the antifreeze, but then
again, I may
not. I've often gone five+ years with the newer stuff, unlike
the 50's and
60's.
This is something I struggle with too...whether or not
it is even necessary to change antifreeze every year!
My GM manual says 5 yrs or 150k miles.

My son's Audi says *don't* change it.

Jim
My Hyundai manual says 60k miles, but I've done that in less than 3
years. For most people it is 5 or so. My LeSabre has the original
at 9 years and 125k. The car is deteriorating in other areas, but
not the cooling system. It is also the last Buick I'll ever own.

Heh. The water pump on my previous company car - an '05 Impala -
failed before I ever even thought it might be time to have the
antifreeze changed. I guess that was the antifreeze maintenance
reminder. Kinda sucked; it started spewing coolant while dropping
the girl off at the airport, had to stop and buy some bottled water
just to make it home.
Hopefully the water pumps on the new 3.5 engines are more reliable
than the ones on the old POS 3.4... I actually kinda like the new
one, was thinking of buying it out when the lease is up if it's still
in good shape.

3.5, 3.4L. Crumbs never had anything larger than 2L. and see no reason to
have one that could guzzle fuel at such a rate.

Ahh, but hang on, my father has an MG with a 3.5L from Detroit and my
sister used to use a Sunbeam with a 5.7l from Detroit.

MG with a 3.5? What's that, the old Buick/Rover engine? Which model
would that be, I don't recall anything with more than four cylinders
making it stateside. And IIRC the Sunbeam Tiger used a Ford 289, which
is a 4.7 not 5.7. Still one bad little mofo of a car.

Actually the 3.5 V-6 in the Impala is not bad on gas... on the highway.
Around town it sucks, but I suspect that has more to do with the
size/bulk of the car than the engine design. I wouldn't have chosen it,
but it gets me around.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.