Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Need Refrigerator Advice

The wife wants to buy a new refrigerator, specifically one with french
doors and a bottom freezer in textured black. There are lots of these
but so far I have only found the textured black in an Amana model. Any
tip appreciated.
Thanks.

PS Anybody got any links to refrigerator reliability data? My googling
has been unsuccessful so far.
Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.epinions.com/Refrigerators--french_door

epinions has great reviews, but, if it's not reviewed you're SOL.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ng_reader" wrote in message
http://www.epinions.com/Refrigerators--french_door

epinions has great reviews, but, if it's not reviewed you're SOL.

epinions has great reviews?

They must have changed, then. Used to be that the most common washing
machine in the US would not have any reviews. And then the reviews that
were there looked like they were written by English majors, and always gave
a glowing review of the product. I have never seen a negative review on
epinions.

I wonder why that is ................

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
The wife wants to buy a new refrigerator, specifically one with french
doors and a bottom freezer in textured black. There are lots of these
but so far I have only found the textured black in an Amana model. Any
tip appreciated.
Thanks.

PS Anybody got any links to refrigerator reliability data? My googling
has been unsuccessful so far.

reliability: Consumer Reports is your friend...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Butch Haynes wrote:
wrote in message
The wife wants to buy a new refrigerator, specifically one with french
doors and a bottom freezer in textured black. There are lots of these
but so far I have only found the textured black in an Amana model. Any
tip appreciated.
Thanks.

PS Anybody got any links to refrigerator reliability data? My googling
has been unsuccessful so far.

reliability: Consumer Reports is your friend...

Go to your local library for all the scoop
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 08:20:34 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

The wife wants to buy a new refrigerator, specifically one with french
doors and a bottom freezer in textured black. There are lots of these
but so far I have only found the textured black in an Amana model. Any
tip appreciated.
Thanks.

PS Anybody got any links to refrigerator reliability data? My googling
has been unsuccessful so far.

Amana is usually very good. I bought one because it had the thickest
walls for insulation. You should take a look at Consumer Reports for
repair data, but only use it as a guideline.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 16:45:23 -0600, "SteveB"
wrote:

"ng_reader" wrote in message
http://www.epinions.com/Refrigerators--french_door

epinions has great reviews, but, if it's not reviewed you're SOL.

epinions has great reviews?

They must have changed, then. Used to be that the most common washing
machine in the US would not have any reviews. And then the reviews that
were there looked like they were written by English majors, and always gave
a glowing review of the product. I have never seen a negative review on
epinions.

I wonder why that is ................

Steve

I've posted a negative review a couple years ago and it's still there.
I've also seen many reviews that did not appear to be written by
English majors. The main failing I've seen is that for a lot of stuff
there is only one or two reviews and that's not really enough to be
sure of anything.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The wife wants to buy a new refrigerator, specifically one with french
doors and a bottom freezer in textured black. There are lots of these
but so far I have only found the textured black in an Amana model. Any
tip appreciated.
Thanks.

PS Anybody got any links to refrigerator reliability data? My googling
has been unsuccessful so far.

Amana is usually very good. I bought one because it had the thickest
walls for insulation. You should take a look at Consumer Reports for
repair data, but only use it as a guideline.

Objective data says that compared to other brands, Amana rates middle to low
in reliability-- according to current CR
reliability data.

For refrigerators with ice makers, the percent needing repairs ranged from a
low of 7% (Whirlpool) to a high of 22% (GE). 17% of Amanas with ice makers
needed repair.

For refrigerators without ice makers, the repair rate ranged from a low of
5% to a high of 15%. 12% of the Amanas needed repair.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

5% to a high of 15%. 12% *of the Amanas needed repair.- Hide quoted text -

Just a comment.

Friends rented a unit while their house was completely rebuilt and
enlarged. It had black kitchen appliances.

Lady said it showed fingerprints almost a badly as stainless steel and
made the kitchen area darker.

FWIW we reverted to white many years ago after flirting with green
(first house) the 'Harvest gold' = yellow! (Second house).
Reason; one can always find white appliances either used or new on
demand i.e. within one day and within a few miles. And having working
kitchen equipment is one of life's daily chores happily out of the way
and not worth spending extra time on.

The friends referred to in their refurbished home now have all white
kitchen appliances including double oven, large fridge, dishwasher
etc. in a bright airy kitchen with large window area.

Just a thought/opinion.

PS. The one item that my daughter has had trouble with has been the
'Ice maker' of her side by side fridge - freezer. Not sure based on
her experience I would bother with the extra water connection that is
needed. Guess it makes it harder to move fridge out for cleaning/
maintenance?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Hi,
My house is like that. Everything in kitchen is white including
cabinets. Walls are egg shell white. We have so many large windows, when
we ordered window covering, they did not believe there were so many
windows. It is airy, bright, just like living inside a green house.
House plants thrives. Yet we have two 4 season sun room as well bringing
outside to inside. We never bother with ice maker. Drinking ice cold
anything is bad for your health.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Not really. You should have a large copper loop or coil in the back
to allow the refrigerator to be moved, when needed. Protect the floor
with a sheet of ply before you move it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Forget about ratings. All current refrigerators are equally prone to
repairs. This is evidenced by the fact that you cannot buy a refrigerator
with an warranty in excess of one year.

The only way out is to buy a five year warranty in addition to the factory
warranty. Costs maybe $ 100 but is worth it.

We bought a Jennair French Door 3 years ago(2,000 bucks). The compressor had
to be replaced after two years and it broke down again in the following
year. We were glad we had an extended warranty. Otherwise the repairs would
have cost us $ 900.

They don't make them like they used to, any more, and you better believe it.
Refrigerators used to run for 20 years.

The same holds true for all kitchen appliances. Right now we are waiting for
a new display for our 2 year old GE Double Oven.

Our new dishwasher broke down twice, so far.

--
Walter
www.rationality.net
wrote in message
The wife wants to buy a new refrigerator, specifically one with french
doors and a bottom freezer in textured black. There are lots of these
but so far I have only found the textured black in an Amana model. Any
tip appreciated.
Thanks.

PS Anybody got any links to refrigerator reliability data? My googling
has been unsuccessful so far.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 16:12:37 -0700, Walter R. wrote:

Forget about ratings. All current refrigerators are equally prone to
repairs. This is evidenced by the fact that you cannot buy a refrigerator
with an warranty in excess of one year.

Indeed... our Whirlpool's over 30 years old now, but I'm reluctant to
replace it simply on energy-saving grounds; it does exactly what we
expect of it, and the time a new one has to last to pay for itself was in
the order of a decade. In today's society I really don't have that
much faith in a modern one either lasting that long or there being parts
available for it should I ever need them.

Of course the Whirlpool will die with something terminal one day, which
could be at any time, and then I won't have a choice - but I'll just keep
running it until it does.

Refrigerators used to run for 20 years.

See above...

cheers

Jules

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote in
:

wrote:
[...]

low of 5% to a high of 15%. 12% of the Amanas needed repair.- Hide
[...]

So is going outside I suppose. And the infomercial shyster says were all
full of **** and need to be cleansed out. Guess that means no more eating
cause it's bad for your health.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Walter R." wrote in
:

Forget about ratings. All current refrigerators are equally prone to
repairs. This is evidenced by the fact that you cannot buy a
refrigerator with an warranty in excess of one year.

The only way out is to buy a five year warranty in addition to the
factory warranty. Costs maybe $ 100 but is worth it.

We bought a Jennair French Door 3 years ago(2,000 bucks). The
compressor had to be replaced after two years and it broke down again
in the following year. We were glad we had an extended warranty.
Otherwise the repairs would have cost us $ 900.

They don't make them like they used to, any more, and you better
believe it. Refrigerators used to run for 20 years.

The same holds true for all kitchen appliances. Right now we are
waiting for a new display for our 2 year old GE Double Oven.

Our new dishwasher broke down twice, so far.

13 year old Roper (aka Whirlpool) side by side frig.

So two nights ago I go in the kitchen to turn out the evening light.
Something smells like it's burning. Soon I hear a crackling coming from
the frig area and target it as coming from underneath where sound can
exit the front vent. Unplug and pull out frig. Remove cardbord access
cover on bottom. PeeeeUuuuu. Plug in quickly and immediately hear
crackling along with black smoke and actually tiny flaming coming from
under plastic cover on the side of the compressor. Quickly unplug and
remove cover.

I find this: http://tinypic.com/r/2a91hn5/4

I know jack about appliance repair and just wing things. Some Googling of
diagrams I find this is a compressor relay. Nasty failure if you ask me.
Along with relay under this plastic cover is an "Overload" device as they
call it.

No time for Internet orders if I can help it. Overnighting would offset
any savings anyway. Next morning I'm lucky that the local appliance parts
shop has the kit which contains everything under the cover including the
cover. Guess someone along the lines figured new cover would also be
needed when it burns. Same price as online. Surprising!

I ask the guy there what this overload device is for considering I had a
small flame and melting part. Said he thought it protects the compressor.
Not sure what that means but maybe like an AC so it doesn't cycle on-off-
on too quickly with power glitches or something. I'm like oh
great...saves the compressor...which will burn up in the house fire.

I don't think this is the first time this failed. There was a wire
routing retainer piece that came with the new cover and is mated to fit
in the cover guide. Guide was on old and new one but piece was missing in
old one. PITA to get in properly routed and locked when reassembled.
Probably why whoever replaced it left it off be it a tech or hack.

So for a bad situation it turned out best it could actually. If I had
gone to bed 10 min later I might woke up to smoke alarms, a fire or never
woke again. Repair cost was minimal. Part was available locally. No food
lost.

Checked for product recalls on the Internet with no hits.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:
Tony Hwang wrote in
:

wrote:
[...]

"You are what you eat. All your medicine is in your food."
Who said that? I go outside, why not? Next to my house is wilderness
park with all kinds of animals, plants.

Refrigerator Dottie Home Repair 4 October 28th 06 11:03 PM
Advice, please, on constantly running refrigerator MMoniker Home Repair 4 September 20th 06 11:28 PM
Refrigerator Roger Home Repair 5 February 25th 06 12:46 PM
sub zero 550 refrigerator ryan Home Repair 3 July 27th 04 12:11 AM
Sub-Zero refrigerator TJAGF Home Repair 1 May 18th 04 11:45 AM