Posted to alt.home.repair
Jules[_2_] Jules[_2_] is offline

Default Need Refrigerator Advice

On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 16:12:37 -0700, Walter R. wrote:

Forget about ratings. All current refrigerators are equally prone to
repairs. This is evidenced by the fact that you cannot buy a refrigerator
with an warranty in excess of one year.

Indeed... our Whirlpool's over 30 years old now, but I'm reluctant to
replace it simply on energy-saving grounds; it does exactly what we
expect of it, and the time a new one has to last to pay for itself was in
the order of a decade. In today's society I really don't have that
much faith in a modern one either lasting that long or there being parts
available for it should I ever need them.

Of course the Whirlpool will die with something terminal one day, which
could be at any time, and then I won't have a choice - but I'll just keep
running it until it does.

Refrigerators used to run for 20 years.

See above...

cheers