Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wiring in a DSL filter

I need to wire a DSL filter with a modular jack and plug into a phone
line without a modular jack/plug. I figured I'd cut the plug off the
DSL filter and wire those into the phone line. However, the colors of
the wires in the DSL filter are black, red, green, and yellow and I
think the phone line is in pairs with different colors.

How should this be wired in to the phone line?

Is there a better way to do it? (I went by Radio Shack and they
didn't have any modular jacks and plugs designed to be wired in this
way.)
--
Replace you know what by j to email
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jan Philips wrote:
I need to wire a DSL filter with a modular jack and plug into a phone
line without a modular jack/plug. I figured I'd cut the plug off the
DSL filter and wire those into the phone line. However, the colors of
the wires in the DSL filter are black, red, green, and yellow and I
think the phone line is in pairs with different colors.

How should this be wired in to the phone line?

Is there a better way to do it? (I went by Radio Shack and they
didn't have any modular jacks and plugs designed to be wired in this
way.)

Does the phone line end in the old 4 prong outlet?
Yes? Buy a converter.
No Google how phone lines work.
Most old lines only use two wires for signals. Other two are not used
or are for power to the lights on old phones.

Lou
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 22, 2:25*pm, Jan Philips
wrote:
I need to wire a DSL filter with a modular jack and plug into a phone
line without a modular jack/plug. *I figured I'd cut the plug off the
DSL filter and wire those into the phone line. *However, the colors of
the wires in the DSL filter are black, red, green, and yellow and I
think the phone line is in pairs with different colors. *

How should this be wired in to the phone line?

Is there a better way to do it? *(I went by Radio Shack and they
didn't have any modular jacks and plugs designed to be wired in this
way.)
--
Replace you know what by j to email

These days red/green are your primary pair. Black/yellow is the
second line pair. Green is positive but odds are polarity won't
matter.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jan Philips" wrote in message
I need to wire a DSL filter with a modular jack and plug into a phone
line without a modular jack/plug. I figured I'd cut the plug off the
DSL filter and wire those into the phone line. However, the colors of
the wires in the DSL filter are black, red, green, and yellow and I
think the phone line is in pairs with different colors.

How should this be wired in to the phone line?

Is there a better way to do it? (I went by Radio Shack and they
didn't have any modular jacks and plugs designed to be wired in this
way.)
--
Replace you know what by j to email

I would do it differently, but to answer your question.

Red and green are the primary phone lines. Your existing line has 2 wires.
Connect one to red and one to green. If the phone rings AND you can call
out everything is fine. If not switch the two wires.

Reason: most newer phones can handle reversed polarity, some older phones
can not.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 14:58:13 -0400, LouB wrote:

Does the phone line end in the old 4 prong outlet?
Yes? Buy a converter.
No Google how phone lines work.
Most old lines only use two wires for signals. Other two are not used
or are for power to the lights on old phones.

No old 4-prong. It is a new phone but it is hard-wired in. If I know
which pair of wires is used, should they go through the red and black
wires of the filter, or some other pair?
--
Replace you know what by j to email

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 22, 12:16*pm, Jan Philips
wrote:
On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 14:58:13 -0400, LouB wrote:
Does the phone line end in the old 4 prong outlet?
Yes? *Buy a converter.
No Google how phone lines work.
Most old lines only use two wires for signals. *Other two are not used
or are for power to the lights on old phones.

No old 4-prong. *It is a new phone but it is hard-wired in. *If I know
which pair of wires is used, should they go through the red and black
wires of the filter, or some other pair?
--
Replace you know what by j to email

As per the other replies.....
telephone color coding for the last 40+ years

red & green .......line 1
black & yellow ......line 2

my last wired phine work ~2005 polarity did matter, so if you try
red & green one way and oyur phone doenst work; swap them

sounds to me like the DSL filter is set up to service two lines

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jan Philips wrote:
I need to wire a DSL filter with a modular jack and plug into a phone
line without a modular jack/plug. I figured I'd cut the plug off the
DSL filter and wire those into the phone line. However, the colors of
the wires in the DSL filter are black, red, green, and yellow and I
think the phone line is in pairs with different colors.

How should this be wired in to the phone line?

Is there a better way to do it? (I went by Radio Shack and they
didn't have any modular jacks and plugs designed to be wired in this
way.)

Here's a good link that can describe it better than I can:

http://www.ling.upenn.edu/~kurisuto/phone_wiring.html

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 15:11:15 -0400, "Colbyt"
wrote:

I would do it differently, but to answer your question.

What is a better way?

What I have done is cut the modular plug off the filter and stripped
the red and green wires. Then I took a wall-to-phone cord (I have
plenty of those) and cut off a plug with a few inches of wire. I
tried to strip the red and green wires but they are so tiny I can't
strip them.

My plan was to plug the plug into the filter jack, then I could put
that inline in the phone cable.
--
Replace you know what by j to email
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 16:00:17 -0400, Jan Philips
wrote:

tried to strip the red and green wires but they are so tiny I can't
strip them.

My wire stripper goes down to 22 gauge, but it is smaller than that.
The insulation is tough and the wires are tiny so I haven't been able
to do it with a knife without breaking the wires.
--
Replace you know what by j to email
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I would do it differently, but to answer your question.

What is a better way?

What I chose to do was split the incoming phone line at the entry point to
the basement. Using a system of modern modular jacks I ran the unfiltered
source to the modem and used one DSL filter for the rest of the house.

Next person can filter that line if they want to simply by adding another
filter.

As for your striping problem a match or lighter works well for burning the
insulation off the wires which can then be trimmed if you burn to much.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I would do it differently, but to answer your question.

What is a better way?

What I have done is cut the modular plug off the filter and stripped
the red and green wires. Then I took a wall-to-phone cord (I have
plenty of those) and cut off a plug with a few inches of wire. I
tried to strip the red and green wires but they are so tiny I can't
strip them.

Now you know why the "better" way involves dealing with the access lines,
not the equipment wires.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jan Philips wrote:
On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 14:58:13 -0400, LouB wrote:

Does the phone line end in the old 4 prong outlet?
Yes? Buy a converter.
No Google how phone lines work.
Most old lines only use two wires for signals. Other two are not used
or are for power to the lights on old phones.

No old 4-prong. It is a new phone but it is hard-wired in. If I know
which pair of wires is used, should they go through the red and black
wires of the filter, or some other pair?

I haven't seen a new hard-wired single-line phone in 20 years. Is there
maybe a sliding or rotating cover on the wall outlet that is covering up
the plug on the end of the cord? Post a picture of this phone and the
wall plate someplace, with a link back here, please. A picture is worth
1000 words, etc. And even assuming the wall end is hard-wired, is the
end on the phone detachable? You can always use a double-ended rj11
block (used to hook 2 wall cords together) to connect the DSL filter
in-line, and plug the short cord into that.

BTW, forget radio shack. Their selection has purely gone to hell last
few years. Try Lowes, HD, Menards, or similar. The parts you need are
out there, at cheaper prices than RS. Too bad you aren't local. I'm 99%
certain I could solve your problem out of my junk box.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 17:47:40 -0400, aemeijers
wrote:

BTW, forget radio shack. Their selection has purely gone to hell last
few years. Try Lowes, HD, Menards, or similar.

I tried HD also, no luck. We also have Lowes.
--
Replace you know what by j to email
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jan Philips wrote:
I need to wire a DSL filter with a modular jack and plug into a phone
line without a modular jack/plug. I figured I'd cut the plug off the
DSL filter and wire those into the phone line. However, the colors of
the wires in the DSL filter are black, red, green, and yellow and I
think the phone line is in pairs with different colors.

How should this be wired in to the phone line?

Is there a better way to do it? (I went by Radio Shack and they
didn't have any modular jacks and plugs designed to be wired in this
way.)

Hi,
Don't cut the wire. Un-hardwie your phone. Install jack plate for the
phone and filter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jan Philips wrote:
On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 18:58:36 -0600, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Don't cut the wire. Un-hardwie your phone. Install jack plate for the
phone and filter.

That is probably more involved than I can do, but it sounds best. I'll
have to get someone to do it.

Check the phone book or even local large flea market. There are many
guys in the biz that charge way less than the phone companies.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article .com,
(DA) wrote:

DA had written this in response to
http://www.thefuccocompany.com/maint...er-396094-.htm
:

The fucco company, also known as the suck-o company, has nothing to do
with this discussion group, other than to use it parasitically to
further their advertising income. Posts from the fucco company aren't
welcome here. You're posting from the fucco company, therefore you
aren't welcome here at this moment.

However, if you'll look up "usenet" and figure out how to get to this
"newsgroup" without going through the fucco company, then we'd love to
have you join us.

I am the Chief of alt.home.repair, and I approved this message.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I haven't seen a new hard-wired single-line phone in 20 years. Is there
maybe a sliding or rotating cover on the wall outlet that is covering up
the plug on the end of the cord? Post a picture of this phone and the
wall plate someplace, with a link back here, please. A picture is worth
1000 words, etc. And even assuming the wall end is hard-wired, is the
end on the phone detachable?

As far as I can tell, it is permanently attached to the wall. I can't
get it to budge. I have a photo now.
--
Replace you know what by j to email

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 14:30:01 -0400, Jan Philips
wrote:

As far as I can tell, it is permanently attached to the wall. I can't
get it to budge. I have a photo now.

OK, the photo is one of the ones at

http://judmccranie.com/WebSiteManager/imagegallery.aspx

it is rotated from the way is actually is.
--
Replace you know what by j to email
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

As far as I can tell, it is permanently attached to the wall. I can't
get it to budge. I have a photo now.

Whoops, you can't get to it that way. Here it is:
http://judmccranie.com/default.aspx
--
Replace you know what by j to email
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

As far as I can tell, it is permanently attached to the wall. I can't
get it to budge. I have a photo now.

Whoops, you can't get to it that way. Here it is:
http://judmccranie.com/default.aspx

It is probably hung off 2 screws or studs in t-shape holes on the back.
Push up hard on the bottom end, and it will come loose, and there you
will find either a Ma Bell style wall phone plate, or a special
baseplate that came with the phone. There will probably be a modular
jack in the base plate, and the phone either snaps into the jack, or has
a short jumper cord with modular connectors where you can add a DSL
filter in-line. (It would hang down in a loop below the phone, unless
you can tuck it in the wall panel somehow.) I gotta give points to the
installer- that is an innovative use of a cheap kitchen phone, and it
took some fussing to get it to set flat like that. Exactly where were
planning on splicing the DSL filter in? It won't work on the handset
cord, if there are any electronics in the base. Or were you going to do
it where the wire feeds into the elevator shaft? (In which case, an
inline surface-mount jack and screw-to-rj11 adapter would let you plug
the filter in.)

Having said that, that doesn't really look like a commercial-grade
elevator emergency phone, if your local code people or insurance carrier
cares. If there is only one POTS line into the building, it should
probably be on a dedicated wire all the way back to the demarc, and
plugged into a 'line seizure' block like an alarm autodialer uses. If
somebody needs to call out on that phone, and they are the only one
there, it would suck if one of the other phones was off the hook.

--
aem sends....
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 21:37:30 -0400, aemeijers
wrote:

It is probably hung off 2 screws or studs in t-shape holes on the back.
Push up hard on the bottom end, and it will come loose,

I pushed on it, but maybe not hard enough. I'll try harder tomorrow.

Exactly where were planning on splicing the DSL filter in?

This is an emergency phone in a residential elevator. Outside the
elevator is a switch box for the AC, but the phone line runs through
it too.

Or were you going to do
it where the wire feeds into the elevator shaft?

Yes, basically.

(In which case, an
inline surface-mount jack and screw-to-rj11 adapter would let you plug
the filter in.)

I'm not sure if there is enough room to get a surface-mount jack plate
in the switch box.

Having said that, that doesn't really look like a commercial-grade
elevator emergency phone

It is residential, not commercial.

somebody needs to call out on that phone, and they are the only one
there, it would suck if one of the other phones was off the hook.

It is on the same circuit as the other phones in the house.
--
Replace you know what by j to email
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 12:25:32 -0700 (PDT), fftt wrote:

my last wired phine work ~2005 polarity did matter, so if you try
red & green one way and oyur phone doenst work; swap them

Polarity only matters for Touch Tone dialing. If your phone is a rotary
either way is fine.

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 14:25:46 -0400, Jan Philips
wrote:

I need to wire a DSL filter with a modular jack and plug into a phone
line without a modular jack/plug.

I've gotten a wall jack with two phone jacks. I'm going to wire that
inline and with a 6-inch male-to-male cord and the DSL filter, it
should work.

Thanks for all the help!
--
Replace you know what by j to email