Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Wiring in a DSL filter

Jan Philips wrote:
On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 14:58:13 -0400, LouB wrote:

Does the phone line end in the old 4 prong outlet?
Yes? Buy a converter.
No Google how phone lines work.
Most old lines only use two wires for signals. Other two are not used
or are for power to the lights on old phones.

No old 4-prong. It is a new phone but it is hard-wired in. If I know
which pair of wires is used, should they go through the red and black
wires of the filter, or some other pair?

I haven't seen a new hard-wired single-line phone in 20 years. Is there
maybe a sliding or rotating cover on the wall outlet that is covering up
the plug on the end of the cord? Post a picture of this phone and the
wall plate someplace, with a link back here, please. A picture is worth
1000 words, etc. And even assuming the wall end is hard-wired, is the
end on the phone detachable? You can always use a double-ended rj11
block (used to hook 2 wall cords together) to connect the DSL filter
in-line, and plug the short cord into that.

BTW, forget radio shack. Their selection has purely gone to hell last
few years. Try Lowes, HD, Menards, or similar. The parts you need are
out there, at cheaper prices than RS. Too bad you aren't local. I'm 99%
certain I could solve your problem out of my junk box.

--
aem sends...