Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Wiring in a DSL filter

Jan Philips wrote:
On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 14:35:05 -0400, Jan Philips
wrote:

On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 14:30:01 -0400, Jan Philips
wrote:

As far as I can tell, it is permanently attached to the wall. I can't
get it to budge. I have a photo now.

Whoops, you can't get to it that way. Here it is:
http://judmccranie.com/default.aspx

It is probably hung off 2 screws or studs in t-shape holes on the back.
Push up hard on the bottom end, and it will come loose, and there you
will find either a Ma Bell style wall phone plate, or a special
baseplate that came with the phone. There will probably be a modular
jack in the base plate, and the phone either snaps into the jack, or has
a short jumper cord with modular connectors where you can add a DSL
filter in-line. (It would hang down in a loop below the phone, unless
you can tuck it in the wall panel somehow.) I gotta give points to the
installer- that is an innovative use of a cheap kitchen phone, and it
took some fussing to get it to set flat like that. Exactly where were
planning on splicing the DSL filter in? It won't work on the handset
cord, if there are any electronics in the base. Or were you going to do
it where the wire feeds into the elevator shaft? (In which case, an
inline surface-mount jack and screw-to-rj11 adapter would let you plug
the filter in.)

Having said that, that doesn't really look like a commercial-grade
elevator emergency phone, if your local code people or insurance carrier
cares. If there is only one POTS line into the building, it should
probably be on a dedicated wire all the way back to the demarc, and
plugged into a 'line seizure' block like an alarm autodialer uses. If
somebody needs to call out on that phone, and they are the only one
there, it would suck if one of the other phones was off the hook.

--
aem sends....