Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Consumer Reports - The Snitch Chronicles

"Consumer Reports states that the British-made Hudson Reed Theme
Thermostatic Shower Panel had a forceful spray that "seemed too good to be
true-or legal." Environmental Protection Agency regulations limit shower
head water flow to no more than 2.5 gallons per minute. Consumer Reports
acknowledges that many shower fixtures get around this rule by using several
shower heads, but the magazine decided to report the new single-head fixture
to authorities, anyway."

http://cei.org/news-release/2009/08/...ational-snitch

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
"Consumer Reports states that the British-made Hudson Reed Theme
Thermostatic Shower Panel had a forceful spray that "seemed too good to be
true-or legal." Environmental Protection Agency regulations limit shower
head water flow to no more than 2.5 gallons per minute. Consumer Reports
acknowledges that many shower fixtures get around this rule by using several
shower heads, but the magazine decided to report the new single-head fixture
to authorities, anyway."

http://cei.org/news-release/2009/08/...ational-snitch

Whenever I travel or for my own use, I remove the flow restrictor
from the shower head. I carry my own shower head with me. I may
wind up on the FBI's most wanted list. *snicker*

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
"Consumer Reports states that the British-made Hudson Reed Theme
Thermostatic Shower Panel had a forceful spray that "seemed too good
to be true-or legal." Environmental Protection Agency regulations
limit shower head water flow to no more than 2.5 gallons per minute.
Consumer Reports acknowledges that many shower fixtures get around
this rule by using several shower heads, but the magazine decided to
report the new single-head fixture to authorities, anyway."

http://cei.org/news-release/2009/08/...ational-snitch

Whenever I travel or for my own use, I remove the flow restrictor
from the shower head. I carry my own shower head with me. I may
wind up on the FBI's most wanted list. *snicker*

TDD

I don't get the need for pressure washer class showers. Normal shower
head with a restrictor works great for us.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message
HeyBub wrote:
"Consumer Reports states that the British-made Hudson Reed Theme
Thermostatic Shower Panel had a forceful spray that "seemed too good to
be true-or legal." Environmental Protection Agency regulations limit
shower head water flow to no more than 2.5 gallons per minute. Consumer
Reports acknowledges that many shower fixtures get around this rule by
using several shower heads, but the magazine decided to report the new
single-head fixture to authorities, anyway."

http://cei.org/news-release/2009/08/...ational-snitch

Whenever I travel or for my own use, I remove the flow restrictor
from the shower head. I carry my own shower head with me. I may
wind up on the FBI's most wanted list. *snicker*

TDD

for the safety of mankind I hope they catch you.... ;-)

We're under water restrictions....good time to snitch on my
neighbor.....hahahaha

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Whenever I travel or for my own use, I remove the flow
restrictor
from the shower head. I carry my own shower head with me. I may
wind up on the FBI's most wanted list. *snicker* "

Sounds good.

I was wondering if there are various types of flow
restrictors, and what's the best way to get rid of them?

I have an old Speakman shower head at home, with NO
restrictions. Anything else seems like a dribbling faucet to me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

George wrote:

The Daring Dufas wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
"Consumer Reports states that the British-made Hudson Reed Theme
Thermostatic Shower Panel had a forceful spray that "seemed too good
to be true-or legal." Environmental Protection Agency regulations
limit shower head water flow to no more than 2.5 gallons per minute.
Consumer Reports acknowledges that many shower fixtures get around
this rule by using several shower heads, but the magazine decided to
report the new single-head fixture to authorities, anyway."

http://cei.org/news-release/2009/08/...ational-snitch

Whenever I travel or for my own use, I remove the flow restrictor
from the shower head. I carry my own shower head with me. I may
wind up on the FBI's most wanted list. *snicker*

TDD

I don't get the need for pressure washer class showers. Normal shower
head with a restrictor works great for us.

Yes, I find the same thing. I think the folks who complain about the
restrictors are mostly in places with poor water pressure. Since the
restrictors flow is dependent on water pressure if you have lower than
"standard" water pressure you are getting much less than the rated max
flow. Water here runs about 70 PSI consistently, so shower heads with
restrictors work fine. If you get say 50 PSI you should probably remove
the restrictor or at least drill it a size larger to compensate.
Posted to alt.home.repair

The whole thing is stupid. Not only is the regulation overreaching
and control-freakish, I find that I take MUCH shorter showers when
using non-low-flow shower heads.

Oh, and Consumer Reports has been a joke for some time now.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"mike" wrote in message
The whole thing is stupid. Not only is the regulation overreaching
and control-freakish, I find that I take MUCH shorter showers when
using non-low-flow shower heads.

Oh, and Consumer Reports has been a joke for some time now.

The Costco conection is sort of obvious or Costco is the only place to shop.

Costco Exec Member
(a long time now)

Posted to alt.home.repair

George wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
"Consumer Reports states that the British-made Hudson Reed Theme
Thermostatic Shower Panel had a forceful spray that "seemed too good
to be true-or legal." Environmental Protection Agency regulations
limit shower head water flow to no more than 2.5 gallons per minute.
Consumer Reports acknowledges that many shower fixtures get around
this rule by using several shower heads, but the magazine decided to
report the new single-head fixture to authorities, anyway."

http://cei.org/news-release/2009/08/...ational-snitch

Whenever I travel or for my own use, I remove the flow restrictor
from the shower head. I carry my own shower head with me. I may
wind up on the FBI's most wanted list. *snicker*

TDD

I don't get the need for pressure washer class showers. Normal shower
head with a restrictor works great for us.

I get dirty when I work, a pressure washer would feel wonderful.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

John Albert wrote:

"Whenever I travel or for my own use, I remove the flow restrictor
from the shower head. I carry my own shower head with me. I may
wind up on the FBI's most wanted list. *snicker* "

Sounds good.

I was wondering if there are various types of flow restrictors, and
what's the best way to get rid of them?

I have an old Speakman shower head at home, with NO restrictions.
Anything else seems like a dribbling faucet to me.

Hell, you could get cleaner with a cat licking you.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

"John Albert" wrote in message
I was wondering if there are various types of flow restrictors, and what's
the best way to get rid of them?

Some just pop out, as they are a disk with a hole in them. I have a Shower
Saver head that does a nice job I have no idea what the flow rate is, but
the town gave them out many years ago so I'm sure it has some sort of
restriction. More important than flow is the pattern.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:
George wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
[...]

Thats why they developed the various soap products..
Posted to alt.home.repair

You mean.... you don't want the government to control your
shower head? Next thing, you'll say that you don't want the
government controlling your toilet. Where would we be if we
all had unregulated toilets?

Just imagine the founding fathers, creating a nation of
great liberty and freedom. And a couple generations later,
people are reporting their neighbors for having illegal
shower heads, and high flow toilets. They would be rolling
over in their graves with shame.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"mike" wrote in message
The whole thing is stupid. Not only is the regulation
overreaching
and control-freakish, I find that I take MUCH shorter
showers when
using non-low-flow shower heads.

Oh, and Consumer Reports has been a joke for some time now.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 03 Sep 2009 15:37:38 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

Whenever I travel or for my own use, I remove the flow restrictor
from the shower head. I carry my own shower head with me. I may
wind up on the FBI's most wanted list. *snicker*

TDD

You need to get a hobby. :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:

Whenever I travel or for my own use, I remove the flow restrictor
from the shower head. I carry my own shower head with me. I may
wind up on the FBI's most wanted list. *snicker*

TDD

As long as you've "come clean" about that I'm going to admit that back
in my road warrior days I did eggsackly the same thing, carrying a
fairly small shower head I'd drilled the restriction out of, along with
a small pair of slip joint pliers to install it with.

I gave that up after 911, when having those things in my carrion luggage
frequently caused me delays going through security.

Way back when, maybe in the seventies, I'd also carry a 75 watt light
bulb cushioned inside a pair of foam rubber blocks. That was needed
because lots of hotels had put 40 watt bulbs in their bedside lamps to
cut their electric bill, which didn't give near enough light to read by.
Now, most of the hotels I visit have switched to CF bulbs so that
problem has gone away.

Thanks for the mammaries,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 4 Sep 2009 06:49:20 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

You mean.... you don't want the government to control your
shower head? Next thing, you'll say that you don't want the
government controlling your toilet. Where would we be if we
all had unregulated toilets?

Just imagine the founding fathers, creating a nation of
great liberty and freedom. And a couple generations later,
people are reporting their neighbors for having illegal
shower heads, and high flow toilets. They would be rolling
over in their graves with shame.

They'd be much more ashamed of an over-populated land that in no way
shape or form would ever have enough resources for its people to
independently live as their extravagant desires would like. Face it,
when the country was 1% full it was a lot different than it is now.

We could price water at its true cost in the west, but then what
would we do with all the refugees?
Posted to alt.home.repair

George wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:
George wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
[...]

Whenever I use lye soap on my body, I hear the little screams
of critters as they die and fall off my body. The little high
pitched glub glub sound they make as they are washed down the
drain is particularly disturbing.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

jeff_wisnia wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:

[...]

The last long trip I made was 20 years ago when I drove from
San Diego to Birmingham in a non air conditioned car. Golly,
I miss those days.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

You mean.... you don't want the government to control your
shower head? Next thing, you'll say that you don't want the
government controlling your toilet. Where would we be if we
all had unregulated toilets?

Just imagine the founding fathers, creating a nation of
great liberty and freedom. And a couple generations later,
people are reporting their neighbors for having illegal
shower heads, and high flow toilets. They would be rolling
over in their graves with shame.

They'd be much more ashamed of an over-populated land that in no way
shape or form would ever have enough resources for its people to
independently live as their extravagant desires would like. Face it,
when the country was 1% full it was a lot different than it is now.

The country is much less than 1% full.

Assuming everybody was jammed together like at a rock concert - 4 sq ft per
person - the 300,000,000 of this land would take up 1.2 billion sq ft., or
about 43 square miles (about 1/8th the size of New York City).

We could price water at its true cost in the west, but then what
would we do with all the refugees?

Do you mean the Star Face Mole, the Tasmanian Tadpole, and the San Fernando
Wartless Toad?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 3, 6:52*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"John Albert" wrote in message
I was wondering if there are various types of flow restrictors, and what's
the best way to get rid of them?

Some just pop out, as they are a disk with a hole in them. *I have a Shower
Saver head that does a nice job *I have no idea what the flow rate is, but
the town gave them out many years ago so I'm sure it has some sort of
restriction. *More important than flow is the pattern.

I agree with Ed....

More important than flow is the pattern.

I've seen high flow heads that were terrible as well as terrible low
flow heads

the Kohler Forte is great shower head independent of the fact its a
low flow unit
best of both worlds

I switched to them in all my shower

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:
jeff_wisnia wrote:

The Daring Dufas wrote:

[...]

Talk about missing things? What I miss were the amenities on airline
flight back when I started traveling that way in the late 50s.

Even in the lowest class seats you got free alcoholic drinks, free
smokes, and delicious meals including shrimp cocktails, steaks and such.
And, a lot more leg room too.

Course, everything has its price, and the price of airline tickets
relative to the cost of living was a LOT higher back then. But, what the
heck, it was my employers who were buying my tickets back then. G

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

On Thu, 03 Sep 2009 15:37:38 -0500, The Daring Dufas

Whenever I travel or for my own use, I remove the flow restrictor
from the shower head. I carry my own shower head with me. I may
wind up on the FBI's most wanted list. *snicker*

TDD

I'll bet you take all the sugar packets
from the restaurant table too !

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/3/2009 2:36 PM George spake thus:

The Daring Dufas wrote:

HeyBub wrote:

"Consumer Reports states that the British-made Hudson Reed Theme
Thermostatic Shower Panel had a forceful spray that "seemed too good
to be true-or legal." Environmental Protection Agency regulations
limit shower head water flow to no more than 2.5 gallons per minute.
Consumer Reports acknowledges that many shower fixtures get around
this rule by using several shower heads, but the magazine decided to
report the new single-head fixture to authorities, anyway."

http://cei.org/news-release/2009/08/...ational-snitch

Whenever I travel or for my own use, I remove the flow restrictor
from the shower head. I carry my own shower head with me. I may
wind up on the FBI's most wanted list. *snicker*

I don't get the need for pressure washer class showers. Normal shower
head with a restrictor works great for us.

I don't have a restrictor head, even though I should as I live in a
drought-stricken area (California), but I have something that saves even
more water: a shower head with a shutoff valve. Simple, cheap (I think I
paid $7-8 for it at a hardware store). Besides, I need it since I've got
a teeny-tiny water heater (20 gal. electric). It allows me to take
normal showers without worrying about running out of hot water. Just get
wet, shut the water off and apply soap. (I think these are sometimes
sold under the name "Soap-up" or some such.)

These oughta be required on all showers. No need to leave all that water
running while you lather up. (Same as running water while you brush your
teeth: pure waste.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:

(...)

These oughta be required on all showers. No need to leave all that water
running while you lather up. (Same as running water while you brush your
teeth: pure waste.)

Speaking of wasted water....

There's a 70 foot (23 m) run between my water heater
and the master bathroom. It takes 30 seconds or so to
bring the hot water up to temperature, even on a cold
morning. However, I measured about a gallon and a half
of water wasted down the drain, at least twice a day.

I was thinking about equipping the end of the hot water
plumbing with a timed 'hot water' solenoid valve that
would re-direct this 'warming' water into a tank outside,
on the push of a button. Conceivably, I could fill a
55 gallon tank in 18 days or so.

I could use that for my garden or to wash my
car using a solar powered pump, for example.

I live in a very temperate desert climate, so I'm not
too concerned about freezing.

I heard that it was illegal to make use of 'grey water'
so I certainly don't want to run afoul of the law in
case this qualifies, in some way.

Your thoughts, please?

--Winston
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Winston" wrote in message
I was thinking about equipping the end of the hot water
plumbing with a timed 'hot water' solenoid valve that
would re-direct this 'warming' water into a tank outside,
on the push of a button. Conceivably, I could fill a
55 gallon tank in 18 days or so.

I could use that for my garden or to wash my
car using a solar powered pump, for example.

I live in a very temperate desert climate, so I'm not
too concerned about freezing.

I heard that it was illegal to make use of 'grey water'
so I certainly don't want to run afoul of the law in
case this qualifies, in some way.

I don't see how it qualifies as gray water. Using it is far better than
dumping it.

My run is considerably shorter, but aside from the shower, I don't wait for
the hot water to wash my hands or similar uses, but I don't want to step
into a shower not properly set.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
(...)

I don't see how it qualifies as gray water. Using it is far better than
dumping it.

That's my theory.

My run is considerably shorter, but aside from the shower, I don't wait for
the hot water to wash my hands or similar uses

Nor do I.

but I don't want to step into a shower not properly set.

Indeed.

--Winston
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 05 Sep 2009 18:20:09 -0700, Winston
wrote Re Consumer Reports - The Snitch Chronicles:

Your thoughts, please?

Great idea!
--
I filter all messages from google groups.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 5, 6:20*pm, Winston wrote:
David Nebenzahl wrote:

(...)

[...]

check out this system

http://www.startremodeling.com/solut.../product9.html

pumps the cold water in the hot water line into the cold water line at
point of use until the hot water arrives.

thus no water is wasted waiting for hot water to arrive

I think they sell them at Home Depot ~$180...easy to install

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

fftt wrote: