Posted to alt.home.repair
fftt fftt is offline

Default Consumer Reports - The Snitch Chronicles

On Sep 5, 6:20*pm, Winston wrote:
David Nebenzahl wrote:

(...)

These oughta be required on all showers. No need to leave all that water
running while you lather up. (Same as running water while you brush your
teeth: pure waste.)

Speaking of wasted water....

There's a 70 foot (23 m) run between my water heater
and the master bathroom. *It takes 30 seconds or so to
bring the hot water up to temperature, even on a cold
morning. *However, I measured about a gallon and a half
of water wasted down the drain, at least twice a day.

I was thinking about equipping the end of the hot water
plumbing with a timed 'hot water' solenoid valve that
would re-direct this 'warming' water into a tank outside,
on the push of a button. Conceivably, I could fill a
55 gallon tank in 18 days or so.

I could use that for my garden or to wash my
car using a solar powered pump, for example.

I live in a very temperate desert climate, so I'm not
too concerned about freezing.

I heard that it was illegal to make use of 'grey water'
so I certainly don't want to run afoul of the law in
case this qualifies, in some way.

Your thoughts, please?

--Winston

check out this system

http://www.startremodeling.com/solut.../product9.html

pumps the cold water in the hot water line into the cold water line at
point of use until the hot water arrives.

thus no water is wasted waiting for hot water to arrive

I think they sell them at Home Depot ~$180...easy to install

cheers
Bob