Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How do I fix cast iron waste stack crack?

My sewer stack has a hairline crack in the bell hub right at the concrete
floor in my basement. I'm afraid the only way to fix it is to bust out the
floor around it and replace it, But I was hoping for some suggestions for
an epoxy or resin, or something that I could do to fix the seeping crack.
I'm wondering if I could build up some mortar or something around it to
try to seal the leak. It is about an inch above the floor. Anyone have any
ideas?

-------------------------------------

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 22, 12:59*pm,
(johnnylabguy) wrote:
My sewer stack has a hairline crack in the bell hub right at the concrete
floor in my basement. I'm afraid the only way to fix it is to bust out the
floor around it and replace it, But I was hoping for some suggestions for
an epoxy or resin, or something that I could do to fix the seeping crack.
I'm wondering if I could build up some mortar or something around it to
try to seal the leak. It is about an inch above the floor. Anyone have any
ideas?

I've patched stuff with epoxy then wrapped with epoxy Kevlar or carbon
fabrics which makes repair stronger than original material.
I guess for the crack, I'd use fast curing epoxy as you want it clean
and dry to start. Then for the wrap I'd use the slower curing epoxy
to give myself longer work time. I happened to have the
aforementioned fabrics but you could buy glass.

With mortar, leak would probably seep through as it does mud in a
shower pan. Epoxy would seal it and since there is no pressure should
be permanent if crack does not widen which is why I would wrap with
strong, cured material.
Posted to alt.home.repair

If you have a buddy who has welding equipment, ask him to weld it. Cast iron
can be welded.

--
Walter
www.rationality.net
"johnnylabguy" wrote in message
roups.com...
My sewer stack has a hairline crack in the bell hub right at the concrete
floor in my basement. I'm afraid the only way to fix it is to bust out the
floor around it and replace it, But I was hoping for some suggestions for
an epoxy or resin, or something that I could do to fix the seeping crack.
I'm wondering if I could build up some mortar or something around it to
try to seal the leak. It is about an inch above the floor. Anyone have any
ideas?

-------------------------------------

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Walter R. wrote:
If you have a buddy who has welding equipment, ask him to weld it.
Cast iron can be welded.

My sewer stack has a hairline crack in the bell hub right at the
concrete floor in my basement. I'm afraid the only way to fix it is
to bust out the floor around it and replace it, But I was hoping
for some suggestions for an epoxy or resin, or something that I
could do to fix the seeping crack. I'm wondering if I could build
up some mortar or something around it to try to seal the leak. It
is about an inch above the floor. Anyone have any ideas?

While cast iron can be welded, it is difficult. Brazing is simpler, however,
the OP mentioned that
the problem is at the bell hub. Welding it will melt the lead seal and
destroy the oakum caulk under
the lead. Getting it resealed may be difficult if not nearly impossible as
these materials are not used
now.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The Stucco site is not a help forum, it's an
*advertising* forum that invades real forums
(like "alt.home.repair", part of "usenet")
parasitically in order to generate free
advertising for itself, which continually
advances its search engine placement, thereby
increasing its own revenue through its click-
through advertising commissions.

So the first thing you should do is write them
an email and tell them to quit spamming.

Then try to find your way here through proper
channels. Please do a google search on "Usenet"
and post the regular way.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"johnnylabguy" wrote
in message
roups.com...

-------------------------------------

Delivered via http://www.thesuckocompany.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair

There are several epoxy repair wraps for copper water piping that
is under pressure and they work quite well. I wouldn't hesitate
to use them on your non pressured sanitary pipe.

Here is an example:
http://www.epoxyproducts.com/pipewrap2.html

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"johnnylabguy" wrote in
message
roups.com...
My sewer stack has a hairline crack in the bell hub right at the
concrete
floor in my basement. I'm afraid the only way to fix it is to
bust out the
floor around it and replace it, But I was hoping for some
suggestions for
an epoxy or resin, or something that I could do to fix the
seeping crack.
I'm wondering if I could build up some mortar or something
around it to
try to seal the leak. It is about an inch above the floor.
Anyone have any
ideas?

-------------------------------------

Delivered via
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
The Stucco site is not a help forum, it's an
*advertising* forum that invades real forums
(like "alt.home.repair", part of "usenet")
parasitically in order to generate free
advertising for itself, which continually
advances its search engine placement, thereby
increasing its own revenue through its click-
through advertising commissions.

So the first thing you should do is write them
an email and tell them to quit spamming.

Then try to find your way here through proper
channels. Please do a google search on "Usenet"
and post the regular way.

I notice now that whenever a suckocompany post comes through, a bunch of
names I've never seen before reply to it.

Methinks the spammers are getting more clever.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jon Danniken" wrote in message
I notice now that whenever a suckocompany post comes through, a bunch of
names I've never seen before reply to it.

Methinks the spammers are getting more clever.

Jon

It is probably seen by people on their forums too and gets replies. An
amazingly large number of internet users have never heard of newsgroups and
have no idea how to view them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
"Jon Danniken" wrote in message
I notice now that whenever a suckocompany post comes through, a bunch of
names I've never seen before reply to it.

Methinks the spammers are getting more clever.

Jon

It is probably seen by people on their forums too and gets replies. An
amazingly large number of internet users have never heard of newsgroups and
have no idea how to view them.

I'd say the half-vast majority of internet users are unaware of
newsgroups, or if they are aware, they think Google invented and owns
them. Hell, most people on here don't realize that the internet predates
the GUI browser by about 15 years, and for that time span, Usenet was
the main way for strangers to interact online.

Of course, before that, there was Fidonet and dial-up BBS systems....

But back then, you had to have at least a few brain cells to be online.
Today, not so much.

--
aem (hey you kids get off my lawn!) sends.....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Aug 2009 12:47:00 -0700, "Walter R."
wrote:

If you have a buddy who has welding equipment, ask him to weld it. Cast iron
can be welded.

But not a dirty used rusty cracked sewer pipe embedded in Concrete.
Don't even bother THINKING about it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

johnnylabguy had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...ck-390661-.htm
:
Thanks for all the replies. I tried to epoxy the crack this weekend and
unfortunately I've discovered the hairline crack appears to go below the
concrete level. I guess there will be no shortcut for this repair.

Also thanks for the info on stuccosite... I was just searching for similar
topics with msn and stuccosite was third on the list so the spammers are
getting smarter. But you know, I can deal with a few ads if it means me
finding an answer faster. Next time I'll go through usenet but for now it
looks like I've got more important things to do like busting out some
concrete and replacing some cast iron. Not fun.

DanG wrote:

There are several epoxy repair wraps for copper water piping that
is under pressure and they work quite well. I wouldn't hesitate
to use them on your non pressured sanitary pipe.

Here is an example:
http://www.epoxyproducts.com/pipewrap2.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

through usenet but for now it looks like I've got more important
things to do like busting out some concrete and replacing some
cast iron. Not fun.

And not the best solution. Better is to cut out the bad iron and
replace it with PVC, connected with rubber adapters and pipe clamps.
Iron is so last century.