Posted to alt.home.repair
fish

Default Cast Iron waste stack is seeping

Hi everyone,

We own a rental property, built in 1950 so some of the systems are
nearing the end of their life expectancy. For example, the waste
stack in the basement is seeping a little bit, so it needs to be
replaced. My question is, what should it be replaced with, cast iron
or plastic, and what should I expect to pay for this? How big of a
hole needs to be cut into the basement floor?

Thanks,
Fish

Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG

I guess I do not understand what is weeping. Cast iron is not
past its prime in 50 years. Cast iron can have problems, usually
caused by chemical drain cleaners and mineral deposits. You or a
good plumber would need to decide what is going on with your cast
iron. It may need a small section replaced.

Both for repair and replacement, I think any plumber will
recommend pvc. It is faster, quicker, cheaper, and easier. Cast
iron is still used, especially in commercial and high end work.
It can be argued that it is quieter, but you will pay a premium
for its use.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"fish" wrote in message
Hi everyone,

We own a rental property, built in 1950 so some of the systems
are
nearing the end of their life expectancy. For example, the
waste
stack in the basement is seeping a little bit, so it needs to be
replaced. My question is, what should it be replaced with, cast
iron
or plastic, and what should I expect to pay for this? How big
of a
hole needs to be cut into the basement floor?

Thanks,
Fish

Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim

Cast iron can exhibit corrosion before its usual
100 yr service life. It's primarily due to
silicon particles in the iron (not a chemist).
The result is a "porous" pipe.

PVC can be used as a repair section (if allowed
by the city). Note that the entire stack weight
must be supported securely while the bad parts
are removed.

If the section going into the floor isn't too
badly damaged, it may be possible to avoid digging.

Jim

DanG wrote:

I guess I do not understand what is weeping. Cast iron is not
past its prime in 50 years. Cast iron can have problems, usually
caused by chemical drain cleaners and mineral deposits. You or a
good plumber would need to decide what is going on with your cast
iron. It may need a small section replaced.

Both for repair and replacement, I think any plumber will
recommend pvc. It is faster, quicker, cheaper, and easier. Cast
iron is still used, especially in comfercial and high end work.

"fish" wrote in message

Hi everyone,

We own a rental property, built in 1950 so some of the systems
are
nearing the end of their life expectancy. For example, the
waste
stack in the basement is seeping a little bit, so it needs to be
replaced. My question is, what should it be replaced with, cast
iron
or plastic, and what should I expect to pay for this? How big
of a
hole needs to be cut into the basement floor?

Thanks,
Fish

Posted to alt.home.repair
fish

The waste pipe itself is weeping moisture. its in the basement, and
from the ceiling to the floor there are weeps and solidified weeps
that are all up and down the pipe.

Can the whole waste line pipe in the whole home be replaced? Or
should you only replace what is exposed in the basement?

Fish

On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 11:40:36 -0600, "DanG" wrote:

I guess I do not understand what is weeping. Cast iron is not
past its prime in 50 years. Cast iron can have problems, usually
caused by chemical drain cleaners and mineral deposits. You or a
good plumber would need to decide what is going on with your cast
iron. It may need a small section replaced.

Both for repair and replacement, I think any plumber will
recommend pvc. It is faster, quicker, cheaper, and easier. Cast
iron is still used, especially in commercial and high end work.
It can be argued that it is quieter, but you will pay a premium
for its use.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"fish" wrote in message
.. .
Hi everyone,

We own a rental property, built in 1950 so some of the systems
are
nearing the end of their life expectancy. For example, the
waste
stack in the basement is seeping a little bit, so it needs to be
replaced. My question is, what should it be replaced with, cast
iron
or plastic, and what should I expect to pay for this? How big
of a
hole needs to be cut into the basement floor?

Thanks,
Fish

Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Young

It is much more likely that the streaking is due to condensation rather than
leakage from within the pipe. Another possibility is a joint leak or wax
ring leak somewhere up high that is simply running down the outside of the
pipe. I think it is extremely unlikely that your cast iron stack has become
porous. I really don't think it is even possible.
Don Young
"fish" wrote in message
[...]

"fish" wrote in message
. ..
Hi everyone,

We own a rental property, built in 1950 so some of the systems
are
nearing the end of their life expectancy. For example, the
waste
stack in the basement is seeping a little bit, so it needs to be
replaced. My question is, what should it be replaced with, cast
iron
or plastic, and what should I expect to pay for this? How big
of a
hole needs to be cut into the basement floor?

Thanks,
Fish

Posted to alt.home.repair
fish

I hope you are right, that it is not possible.

Fish.

On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 22:14:24 -0600, "Don Young"
wrote:

It is much more likely that the streaking is due to condensation rather than
leakage from within the pipe. Another possibility is a joint leak or wax
ring leak somewhere up high that is simply running down the outside of the
pipe. I think it is extremely unlikely that your cast iron stack has become
porous. I really don't think it is even possible.
Don Young
.. .

"fish" wrote in message
Hi everyone,

We own a rental property, built in 1950 so some of the systems
are
nearing the end of their life expectancy. For example, the
waste
stack in the basement is seeping a little bit, so it needs to be
replaced. My question is, what should it be replaced with, cast
iron
or plastic, and what should I expect to pay for this? How big
of a
hole needs to be cut into the basement floor?

Thanks,
Fish

Posted to alt.home.repair
Heathcliff

fish wrote:
Hi everyone,

We own a rental property, built in 1950 so some of the systems are
nearing the end of their life expectancy. For example, the waste
stack in the basement is seeping a little bit, so it needs to be
replaced. My question is, what should it be replaced with, cast iron
or plastic, and what should I expect to pay for this? How big of a
hole needs to be cut into the basement floor?

Thanks,
Fish

Something similar happened to me a few years ago, although (a) it was
the upper part of the cast iron stack that was most affected, and (b)
it was 75 years old. However, yes it was rusted out from the inside
and basically it was time to replace the stack. I sprung to have new
cast iron put in up to the level of the highest fixture (pvc above
that) for the soundproofing issue. Basically, so if the toilet was
flushed or tub drained upstairs, it wasn't obtrusively obvious
downstairs. In my opinion the difference between iron and pvc is
significant in that regard. My advice would be:

1. Do some more diagnosis. Where is it leaking from? Could be a bad
joint, or might even be condensation. It's actually a little young to
be corroded through. Try to find the highest point that is wet. Poke
it with something -- can you poke a hole in the pipe? If the pipe is
sound but there's a bad joint you might be able to solve it with caulk
or epoxy or something.

2. If the pipe is indeed bad, consider using cast iron for the above
mentioned reason. On the other hand if it's a one story house and the
basement is unfinished then soundproofing might not be a big issue.
We got wildly varying estimates from plumbers for doing the cast iron
-- but found someone to do it for a perfectly reasonable price in the
end.

-- H

Posted to alt.home.repair
fish

heathcliff,

thanks, can you remember what the price was or there about?

Fish

On 21 Nov 2005 14:33:56 -0800, "Heathcliff"
wrote:

fish wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Heathcliff

I think it was about $1200 to run cast iron from the basement floor to
the floor of the second floor (actually just below it, where the toilet
connected). So about 16 ft. of 4 inch pipe installed. They used the
time honored oakum and lead method for the joints. I did all the
plaster repair myself afterward. I had gotten one bid of almost
$10,000 for the same job! I think that outfit just didn't want to work
with cast iron. -- H

Posted to alt.home.repair
fish

Hm, thanks.

On 21 Nov 2005 15:24:31 -0800, "Heathcliff"
wrote:

I think it was about $1200 to run cast iron from the basement floor to
the floor of the second floor (actually just below it, where the toilet
connected). So about 16 ft. of 4 inch pipe installed. They used the
time honored oakum and lead method for the joints. I did all the
plaster repair myself afterward. I had gotten one bid of almost
$10,000 for the same job! I think that outfit just didn't want to work
with cast iron. -- H

Condensing boiler (continued) - Told I cannot have as Cast iron Waste pipe - plot thickens! Dave Smithz UK diy 33 November 23rd 05 07:24 PM
Cast Iron Waste Mitch UK diy 3 May 25th 05 12:18 PM
How do I........... John Borman UK diy 7 December 23rd 04 09:11 AM
Production welding of cast iron to stainless steel question. Jeff Sellers Metalworking 2 December 21st 04 03:48 AM
Bench Vise Questions (Steel vs. Iron) x Metalworking 2 September 1st 03 04:50 PM