Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank Frank is offline

Default How do I fix cast iron waste stack crack?

On Aug 22, 12:59*pm,
(johnnylabguy) wrote:
My sewer stack has a hairline crack in the bell hub right at the concrete
floor in my basement. I'm afraid the only way to fix it is to bust out the
floor around it and replace it, But I was hoping for some suggestions for
an epoxy or resin, or something that I could do to fix the seeping crack.
I'm wondering if I could build up some mortar or something around it to
try to seal the leak. It is about an inch above the floor. Anyone have any
ideas?

I've patched stuff with epoxy then wrapped with epoxy Kevlar or carbon
fabrics which makes repair stronger than original material.
I guess for the crack, I'd use fast curing epoxy as you want it clean
and dry to start. Then for the wrap I'd use the slower curing epoxy
to give myself longer work time. I happened to have the
aforementioned fabrics but you could buy glass.

With mortar, leak would probably seep through as it does mud in a
shower pan. Epoxy would seal it and since there is no pressure should
be permanent if crack does not widen which is why I would wrap with
strong, cured material.