Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Kenmore Elite 795.7519 fridge. Leaking water reservoir

My Kenmore Elite 795.7519 refrigerator has a leaking water reservoir on
the door.

Here's what it looks like: http://i28.tinypic.com/53uzgk.jpg

I attempted to resolve the problem myself.

After turning the water supply off, I tried disconnecting the hoses to
the reservoir.

Right off, I wound up snapping off the top of the water reservoir. The
water reservoir now needs to be replaced.

Before I call anyone for a repair, I'd still like to try to repair it
myself but I don't know the secret to disconnecting the hoses.

Help please.
Posted to alt.home.repair

John wrote:
My Kenmore Elite 795.7519 refrigerator has a leaking water reservoir on
the door.

Here's what it looks like: http://i28.tinypic.com/53uzgk.jpg

I attempted to resolve the problem myself.

After turning the water supply off, I tried disconnecting the hoses to
the reservoir.

Right off, I wound up snapping off the top of the water reservoir. The
water reservoir now needs to be replaced.

Before I call anyone for a repair, I'd still like to try to repair it
myself but I don't know the secret to disconnecting the hoses.

Help please.

If I see what I think I'm seeing, the bottom connector appears to have
a red "U" shaped keeper slipped under the head of the connector. I would
slip that red piece out and then push the ring toward the connector
which should release the tubing allowing you to slip it out.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , John wrote:

My Kenmore Elite 795.7519 refrigerator has a leaking water reservoir on
the door.

Here's what it looks like: http://i28.tinypic.com/53uzgk.jpg

I attempted to resolve the problem myself.

After turning the water supply off, I tried disconnecting the hoses to
the reservoir.

Right off, I wound up snapping off the top of the water reservoir. The
water reservoir now needs to be replaced.

Before I call anyone for a repair, I'd still like to try to repair it
myself but I don't know the secret to disconnecting the hoses.

Help please.

The thinnest ring, washer, or whatever you call it, at each junction,
actually moves just a tiny bit against a spring. That disengages the
hose and it slides off virtually effortlessly.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
In article , John wrote:

My Kenmore Elite 795.7519 refrigerator has a leaking water reservoir on
the door.

Here's what it looks like: http://i28.tinypic.com/53uzgk.jpg

I attempted to resolve the problem myself.

After turning the water supply off, I tried disconnecting the hoses to
the reservoir.

Right off, I wound up snapping off the top of the water reservoir. The
water reservoir now needs to be replaced.

Before I call anyone for a repair, I'd still like to try to repair it
myself but I don't know the secret to disconnecting the hoses.

Help please.

The thinnest ring, washer, or whatever you call it, at each junction,
actually moves just a tiny bit against a spring. That disengages the
hose and it slides off virtually effortlessly.

That's what I thought. I took a photograph of the unit before I started
to disassemble the unit so that I would know what went where.
Then I took off those rings and tugged on the hose.
This is what I got for my heroic efforts:

http://i26.tinypic.com/ezg4th.jpg

Now I don't have any drinkable water in the house and I ran out of
bottled water. The tap water is truly awful.
Am I in hot water now?
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , John wrote:

Smitty Two wrote:

The thinnest ring, washer, or whatever you call it, at each junction,
actually moves just a tiny bit against a spring. That disengages the
hose and it slides off virtually effortlessly.

That's what I thought. I took a photograph of the unit before I started
to disassemble the unit so that I would know what went where.
Then I took off those rings and tugged on the hose.
This is what I got for my heroic efforts:

http://i26.tinypic.com/ezg4th.jpg

Now I don't have any drinkable water in the house and I ran out of
bottled water. The tap water is truly awful.
Am I in hot water now?

Not if you live in the United States of America. You can just hop in the
car, drive to the store, and buy more bottled water.

It isn't clear to me whether you now, after breaking one, understand how
those junctions come apart? IOW, the red ring may be a locking ring, but
you still have to slide, not remove, the other ring in order to
disengage the thing. Replacement parts are readily available.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
In article , John wrote:

Smitty Two wrote:

[...]

If this is an IQ test, then I've flunked it.

I just don't get it. The red ring is exerting so little pressure that I
can't see how sliding or removing the ring is going to have any effect
at all. I've tried just about everything (obviously not the right
thing) to no avail. I've tugged, pushed, pulled and squeezed.

I feel so dumb.
Posted to alt.home.repair

John wrote:
Smitty Two wrote:
In article , John wrote:

Smitty Two wrote:

[...]

The red ring was just a safety, You have to close the gap that
the ring was in and at the same time pull on the tube. It takes
a little coordination to accomplish the task but it's not that
difficult.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , John wrote:

Smitty Two wrote:
In article , John wrote:

Smitty Two wrote:

[...]

Yep. That connector style is engineered to make you feel dumb. Once
you've done it, you'll see how easy it actually is. You have to push the
ring (not the red ring, I guess that's a removable safety lock) in the
*opposite direction* as you pull the tubing. Push ring IN, pull tubing
OUT.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
In article , John wrote:

Smitty Two wrote:
In article , John wrote:

Smitty Two wrote:
[...]

I've actually come across plumbers who couldn't work the darn things.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:
John wrote:
Smitty Two wrote:
In article , John wrote:

Smitty Two wrote:

[...]

Yep. With that explanation I was able to separate out the hoses.

The hoses leading into the reservoir was very, very tight. There doesn't
appear to be any problem with the reservoir so once I get a replacement
reservoir (that I broke), I'll have to find the real cause of the leak.

I noticed that the hole of the gray elbow leading into the reservoir was
slightly different than the hole leading into the hose. I took a close
up photograph since I'll never be able to remember which goes where later.

Of course, now that I've disassembled the hoses, the whole process seems
so simple and obvious. Silly me.

Case closed. Thank you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

John wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:
John wrote:
Smitty Two wrote:
In article , John wrote:

Smitty Two wrote:

[...]

Think of it as a Chinese finger puzzle. If you've never seen
one before, it could make you crazy. *snicker*

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hmm. Sounds like a diabolical simple thing. Somewhat
diabolical like the GM inline fuel filter, that goes into
the two flexible lines. My friend's Buick Station wagon has
one. Once you understand, they are so totally simple to
remove and replace.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in
message ...

I just don't get it. The red ring is exerting so little
pressure that I
can't see how sliding or removing the ring is going to
have any effect
at all. I've tried just about everything (obviously not
the right
thing) to no avail. I've tugged, pushed, pulled and
squeezed.

I feel so dumb.

The red ring was just a safety, You have to close the gap
that
the ring was in and at the same time pull on the tube. It
takes
a little coordination to accomplish the task but it's not
that
difficult.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Do the hokey pokey.....

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news

I just don't get it. The red ring is exerting so little
pressure that I
can't see how sliding or removing the ring is going to
have any effect
at all. I've tried just about everything (obviously not
the right
thing) to no avail. I've tugged, pushed, pulled and
squeezed.

I feel so dumb.

Yep. That connector style is engineered to make you feel
dumb. Once
you've done it, you'll see how easy it actually is. You have
to push the
ring (not the red ring, I guess that's a removable safety
lock) in the
*opposite direction* as you pull the tubing. Push ring IN,
pull tubing
OUT.

Posted to alt.home.repair

We never doubted you.

Please, write again, tell us how it all resolves. We can
learn from this, also.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"John" wrote in message

Yep. With that explanation I was able to separate out the
hoses.

The hoses leading into the reservoir was very, very tight.
There doesn't
appear to be any problem with the reservoir so once I get a
replacement
reservoir (that I broke), I'll have to find the real cause
of the leak.

I noticed that the hole of the gray elbow leading into the
reservoir was
slightly different than the hole leading into the hose. I
took a close
up photograph since I'll never be able to remember which
goes where later.

Of course, now that I've disassembled the hoses, the whole
process seems
so simple and obvious. Silly me.

Case closed. Thank you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
We never doubted you.

Please, write again, tell us how it all resolves. We can
learn from this, also.

Will do. Gotta wait until Monday to order the parts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to John, hendy hints wrote:
Thanks for the lead
After I checked the reservoir, I made a youtube video titled
Part 1 - How To Remove Refrigerator Water Filter Reservoir
https://youtu.be/2mn0WIhS4og

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ir-389382-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to John, R Mc wrote:
Press with open wrench don't pull the round looking washer and then pull out
tube at same time.should work!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ir-389382-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to The Daring Dufas, R Mc wrote:
exactly

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ir-389382-.htm