Posted to alt.home.repair
John John is offline

Default Kenmore Elite 795.7519 fridge. Leaking water reservoir

Smitty Two wrote:
In article , John wrote:

Smitty Two wrote:

The thinnest ring, washer, or whatever you call it, at each junction,
actually moves just a tiny bit against a spring. That disengages the
hose and it slides off virtually effortlessly.

That's what I thought. I took a photograph of the unit before I started
to disassemble the unit so that I would know what went where.
Then I took off those rings and tugged on the hose.
This is what I got for my heroic efforts:

http://i26.tinypic.com/ezg4th.jpg

Now I don't have any drinkable water in the house and I ran out of
bottled water. The tap water is truly awful.
Am I in hot water now?

Not if you live in the United States of America. You can just hop in the
car, drive to the store, and buy more bottled water.

It isn't clear to me whether you now, after breaking one, understand how
those junctions come apart? IOW, the red ring may be a locking ring, but
you still have to slide, not remove, the other ring in order to
disengage the thing. Replacement parts are readily available.

If this is an IQ test, then I've flunked it.

I just don't get it. The red ring is exerting so little pressure that I
can't see how sliding or removing the ring is going to have any effect
at all. I've tried just about everything (obviously not the right
thing) to no avail. I've tugged, pushed, pulled and squeezed.

I feel so dumb.