Posted to alt.home.repair

Default face shield

Hi,

Does anybody have experience with a protective face shield that works
well for people wearing glasses? My local stores do not seem to carry
face shields although I have not checked them all. It would also be nice
if muffs are incorporated - I keep not remembering where I left those
(not possible with a medieval looking device).

Thanks in advance,

Aaron
Posted to alt.home.repair

Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

Does anybody have experience with a protective face shield that works
well for people wearing glasses? My local stores do not seem to carry
face shields although I have not checked them all. It would also be nice
if muffs are incorporated - I keep not remembering where I left those
(not possible with a medieval looking device).

Thanks in advance,

Aaron

They are sold by laboratory supply stores such as Fisher:

http://www.fishersci.com/wps/portal/...dvanceOptions=
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 08 Aug 2009 03:23:53 -0400, Aaron Fude
wrote:

Hi,

Does anybody have experience with a protective face shield that works
well for people wearing glasses? My local stores do not seem to carry
face shields although I have not checked them all. It would also be nice
if muffs are incorporated - I keep not remembering where I left those
(not possible with a medieval looking device).

Thanks in advance,

Aaron

Harbor freight has several options for face and eye protection that
fit over glasses, including full face shields that flip up, as well as
goggles. All under $20

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Aaron Fude wrote:
Does anybody have experience with a protective face shield that works
well for people wearing glasses?

Oh, absolutely. *Far* better than goggles. I stopped using goggles about 12-15
years ago, right after the first time I used a face shield. A face shield
doesn't make your glasses fog up the way many goggles do, and IMO it's more
comfortable besides. But those aren't the most important advantages: First,
since a face shield is much easier to put on and take off than goggles, you're
more likely to use it; protective gear doesn't work if you don't wear it.
Second, there are other things on your face besides your eyes that need
protection. I know from some of your other posts that you have and use a table
saw. Table saws occasionally eject offcuts back toward the operator; the tip
speed on a typical 10" table saw is around 110mph. Picture taking a taking a
piece of wood the size of, say, a deck of cards, moving at 110mph, on your
nose. Or in your teeth.

My local stores do not seem to carry
face shields although I have not checked them all.

Lowe's, Home Depot, Ace Hardware, Do-It-Best Hardware

It would also be nice
if muffs are incorporated

Never saw one like that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 08 Aug 2009 12:39:03 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article , Aaron Fude wrote:
[...]

They sell sets of a faceshield and muffs together for operating
outdoor machinery, such as chainsaws, Chippers and similar.

Many folks wisely wear both goggles and a faceshield for some
operations, as stuff often gets thrown up behind faceshields.

I wear both when operating my chipper for that reason.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
Hi,

Does anybody have experience with a protective face shield that works well
for people wearing glasses? My local stores do not seem to carry face
shields although I have not checked them all. It would also be nice if
muffs are incorporated - I keep not remembering where I left those (not
possible with a medieval looking device).

Thanks in advance,

Aaron

Any place that sells Stihl (pronounced 'steel') chain saws will either have
one or be able to get one, a hard hat with ear muffs & a wire face shield.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 8 Aug 2009 08:27:08 -0600, "Bob M." wrote:

Any place that sells Stihl (pronounced 'steel') chain saws will either have
one or be able to get one, a hard hat with ear muffs & a wire face shield.

Arborist use them - sample

http://www.honeybros.com/gbu0-prodshow/HB31CB.html

External Shell - Advanced Thermo Material (ABS)
Internal Shell - Polystirene (EPS)
180 Degree Clear Visor
Peltor Optime II Ear Defenders
Size - Unisize (54/62cm)
Headlamp Clips
Quick Release buckle
Adjustable Size System
UK VAT Excempt
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Hi,

Does anybody have experience with a protective face shield that works
well for people wearing glasses? My local stores do not seem to carry
face shields although I have not checked them all. It would also be nice
if muffs are incorporated - I keep not remembering where I left those
(not possible with a medieval looking device).

Thanks in advance,

Aaron

I have a different face shield for chainsaw work and another for work
on the lathe. The chainsaw helmet shield (Husqvarna) is a metal mesh
with muffs, very nice and comfortable. You need to get the one for
your particular application.

I use a face shield in addition to safety glasses (no helmet) when
working at the lathe. Woodcraft and Rockler carry them, about $25. I
have the one from Rockler.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/200...ce-Shield.aspx

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...=face%20shield
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

That EXACT $24.95 rockler faceshield at Harbor Freight is $10 less

$14.99

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi,

Does anybody have experience with a protective face shield that works
well for people wearing glasses? My local stores do not seem to carry
face shields although I have not checked them all. It would also be nice
if muffs are incorporated - I keep not remembering where I left those
(not possible with a medieval looking device).

Thanks in advance,

Aaron

Depends on what you're going to use it for. They have mesh ones for
chainsawing. Clear ones for grinding. Tinted ones for OA welding or just
reducing ambient arc rays. Tons of choices, some mounted on hard hats.

Don't cheap out. If you go blind or lose your hearing, they send you home
early.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.safetyvests.com/safetysup...ion_sv/HB-3000

wrote:

Hi,

Does anybody have experience with a protective face shield that works
well for people wearing glasses? My local stores do not seem to carry
face shields although I have not checked them all. It would also be nice
if muffs are incorporated - I keep not remembering where I left those
(not possible with a medieval looking device).

Thanks in advance,

Aaron

I have been dealing with these guys for a while. They have all sorts
of ear and eye protection. I keep a pair of safety/sun glasses on a
croakie around my neck all the time and use a shield when I am in the
shop. I do not hesitate to slip the safety glasses on at the least
indication of a hazard. I really like seeing!
My eye doctor gives the Crews glasses his seal of approval from an
optical standpoint and they are really pretty cheap. ($4 or so)
They are UV-a, UV-b and impact rated
I buy the safety glasses a dozen at a time so I will replace them when
they get scratched up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 8, 3:23*am, Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

Does anybody have experience with a protective face shield that works
well for people wearing glasses? My local stores do not seem to carry
face shields although I have not checked them all. It would also be nice
if muffs are incorporated - I keep not remembering where I left those
(not possible with a medieval looking device).

Thanks in advance,

Aaron

I use the kind that fastens on a hard hat. I finally learned if you
need to protect your eyes you might as well protect the rest of your
face too. Also these dont fog up and I can aways find it no matter
where I place it in the shop.

Jimmie

FA: Racal (3-M) powered respirator/helmet/face shield William Noble Woodturning 2 October 22nd 06 08:31 AM
face shield Dan Williams Woodturning 24 December 17th 04 04:02 PM
recommendation for face shield william_b_noble Woodworking 0 July 9th 03 05:51 AM
recommendation for face shield David Wade Woodturning 1 July 8th 03 03:33 PM