Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

Default costco honda generator

ransley wrote:
On Jul 22, 1:07 pm, harry wrote:
On Jul 21, 11:57 pm, George wrote:

harry wrote:
On Jul 20, 4:04 pm, George wrote:
Bruce in alaska wrote:
In article ,
The Daring Dufas wrote:
By the way, correct me if I'm wrong
but isn't jet fuel blended with additives to prevent gelling or microbe
infestation since jet fuel is often exposed to environmental extremes?
TDD
Nope, "Jet Fuel" as you call it is JetA50, and is the same thing a #1
Diesel, Home Heating Oil, and a few other names. The difference is,
that to be classed JetA50, and sold for Aviation Fuel, it MUST be
Filtered to FAA Spec, and be within the Specific Gravity, FAA Spec.
So, what the Distributer does, is he has only one Grade of #1 Diesel in
his tanks and when he pumps it for Transport to a customer, it goes thru
a different set of filtering for Aviation, than for Home Heating, or #1
Diesel, but it all comes from the SAME Tank.
My buddy has a liquid fuels business and I have seen the tanks and
pumping systems at multiple fuel dumps and they all had a totally
separate tank for Jet A if Jet A was delivered from that facility. In my
area there are two huge fuel dumps but the Jet A used at the local
airports is trucked in on transports from another state. Also there
isn't a tank called "#1 diesel". They have multiple tanks for ULSD and
LSD and kerosene.
With #2 Diesel, in cold
climates, they have what is called "Winter Mix" where the Distributer
will mix #1 and #2 Diesel, to lower the GellPoint of the fuel when
increase the Ratio of #1 to #2 the farther North and away from the coast
the fuel is destine for. For Gasoline, the distributer will have an
"Additive Package" that they add to the Tank when dispatching a Load,
designed for the prospective customer.
It is more complicated than that. Certain additives are required and
certain additives are optional. They have an array of injector pumps
that meter in the additives when the truck is on the loading rack
according to what the customer purchased.
Many times Shell, Chevron, and
Mobile Gas Stations, will get their fuel from the same Distributer or
supplier and the only difference in the fuel is the "Additive Package"
put in, as the basic fuel, ALL COMES FROM THE SAME TANK. Depends on who
owns the Refinery, or where the Distributer bough his fuel from, the
last time. I have seen the same truck at two or three different Brand
Gas Stations, in town, on the same day, delivering fuel. the distributer
is 250 miles away, so you know they didn't fill the truck three times
that day.
All truck tankers have bulkheads to form multiple compartments. That
adds strength and limits spillage in case the tanker is damaged and it
also allows them to haul different product in each compartment if they want.
You can add paraffin (kerosine) to diesel to stop it gelling in cold
weather. (Mix thoroughly).
I think maybe you meant add kerosene to lower the amount of parafin?
Parafin is what is responsible for the gelling effect.
As well as visible water in fuel there can be dissolved water. For
most applications this doesn't matter. However in extremely low
temperatures ice can form so blocking small jets/apertures. This
can't be filtered out but there is a filterlike device that chemically
removes dissolved water in fuel. They use them on airfields, usually
adjacent to the regular filters. Ocassionally you see a combined
device.

What you call kerosine in the USA we in the UK call paraffin.
Like hoods & bonnets. Bumpers & fenders. Trunks & boots. :-)- Hide quoted text -

And when the kids in school ask for a rubber nobody stares, it means
eraser

In the U.S., "rubbers" used to commonly mean "rubber overshoes".

TDD
Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:

What you call kerosine in the USA we in the UK call paraffin.
Like hoods & bonnets. Bumpers & fenders. Trunks & boots. :-)-

Or butts and bums.

And when the kids in school ask for a rubber nobody stares, it means
eraser

"Two great nations divided by a common language" (George Bernard Shaw?
Winston Churchill?)

But problems may arise in other varieties of English too. I had not been
in Australia long when I heard somebody ask for some Durex. In UK, as in
USA, Durex was/is a common brand of condom. Perhaps Durex condoms did
exist in Australia too, but it was also the brand of a widely used
adhesive tape (a local equivalent of "Scotch tape" -- or "Sellotape" for
the Brits; does the latter still exist?).

Perce
(dual-citizen OzBrit -- aka "whingeing Pommie *******" -- in exile in US
Midwest)
Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

In article
,
harry wrote:

Many early diesel engines could be hand cranked, they had a valve
lifter, a little lever on the crank case (side valves) It held the
exhaust valve open, you cranked like hell & then dropped the valves
and it started (hopefully) They had big flywheels in those days,
stored lots of energy.

"DeCompression Lever" or "Compression Release Lever" ... Listers are
famous for them....

--
Bruce in alaska
add path after fast to reply
Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote:

I understand that the IH TD-x tractors/'dozers had an additional valve
in each cylinder that opened to an "extension of the combustion chamber"
(for want of a better term) in which the spark plugs were located, thus
reducing the compression ratio; petrol/gasoline would have exploded
rather than burned with a diesel-appropriate compression ratio. They had
spark plugs, magneto and carburettor as well as injectors. There were
two controls to effect the changeover, IIRC: one near the left front
(perhaps to switch fuel supplies), plus a lever accessible from the
driver's seat. Clouds of black smoke at the changeover.

I have a Austin/Western Grader that has such an IH Engine in it. It is
a Gasoline Engine on one side, (Carburetor, Distributer, Coil, and
SparkPlugs) and a Diesel Engine on the other side (Injection Pump,
Injectors, etc) To Start it, You opened the Gasoline Fuel Valve, put the
Change-Over Lever in Gasoline Mode, add about 1/2 Choke, and Crank.
Starts within 25 seconds, even down at -15F. Once started, you slowly
open the Choke, as the engine warms up, until it is wide open. Then wait
5 minutes for the block to warm. Once it is warm, you move the Fuel
Rack of the Injection Pump from Cutoff, to Idle, and watch the resulting
Black Smoke to turn to Dark Gray, and then move the Mode Lever, to
Diesel. WollLa, you now burning Diesel, and you can turn off the
Ignition System, and shut off the Gasoline Fuel Supply. Shutting down
the engine is the above, in reverse. If you don't do the shutdown, via
Burning Gasoline, you have a lot harder time getting the engine to
Start, next time you want to run it.

--
Bruce in alaska
add path after fast to reply
Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

Default Divided by a common language

One of my favorite stories, was the English man in US during
the war. He was on the phone. The operator came on, asked if
he was through. He said yes, so she disconnected him. He was
storming about that over breakfast the next day. His host
found the problem.

For the English, Through = connected. Are you "through to
your party yet?". In America, Through = compelted. "Are you
through with your call?"

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message

"Two great nations divided by a common language" (George
Bernard Shaw?
Winston Churchill?)

But problems may arise in other varieties of English too. I
had not been
in Australia long when I heard somebody ask for some Durex.
In UK, as in
USA, Durex was/is a common brand of condom. Perhaps Durex
condoms did
exist in Australia too, but it was also the brand of a
widely used
adhesive tape (a local equivalent of "Scotch tape" -- or
"Sellotape" for
the Brits; does the latter still exist?).

Perce
(dual-citizen OzBrit -- aka "whingeing Pommie *******" -- in
exile in US
Midwest)

Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

Comprethion leffer. Thpoken with a lithp. Ith a lithter.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Bruce in alaska" wrote in message

"DeCompression Lever" or "Compression Release Lever" ...
Listers are
famous for them....

--
Bruce in alaska
add path after fast to reply

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm told of an English gentleman who left strict
instructions for the desk in NYC, but he was a bit surprised
who was at his door the next morning. Strumpets! Tea and
strumpets, you see.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 21:04:22 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

And don't even start with "knock you up"

.... that is not a Palin joke.

Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

On Jul 22, 4:27*pm, harry wrote:
On Jul 22, 4:56 pm, "Richard W." wrote:

"daestrom" wrote in message

Bruce in alaska wrote:
In article ,
*The Daring Dufas wrote:

*By the way, correct me if I'm wrong
but isn't jet fuel blended with additives to prevent gelling or microbe
infestation since jet fuel is often exposed to environmental extremes?

TDD

Nope, "Jet Fuel" as you call it is JetA50, and is the same thing a #1
Diesel, Home Heating Oil, and a few other names. *The difference is, that
to be classed JetA50, and sold for Aviation Fuel, it MUST be Filtered to
FAA Spec, and be within the Specific Gravity, FAA Spec.
So, what the Distributer does, is he has only one Grade of #1 Diesel in
his tanks and when he pumps it for Transport to a customer, it goes thru
a different set of filtering for Aviation, than for Home Heating, or #1
Diesel, but it all comes from the SAME Tank. With #2 Diesel, in cold
climates, they have what is called "Winter Mix" where the Distributer
will mix #1 and #2 Diesel, to lower the GellPoint of the fuel when
increase the Ratio of #1 to #2 the farther North and away from the coast
the fuel is destine for. For Gasoline, the distributer will have an
"Additive Package" that they add to the Tank when dispatching a Load,
designed for the prospective customer. *Many times Shell, Chevron, and
Mobile Gas Stations, will get their fuel from the same Distributer or
supplier and the only difference in the fuel is the "Additive Package"
put in, as the basic fuel, ALL COMES FROM THE SAME TANK. Depends on who
owns the Refinery, or where the Distributer bough his fuel from, the last
time. I have seen the same truck at two or three different Brand Gas
Stations, in town, on the same day, delivering fuel. the distributer is
250 miles away, so you know they didn't fill the truck three times that
day.

ISTR this is even true with pipelines. *When company 'A' puts several
thousands of barrels of #1 'into' the pipeline company's head end, the
pipeline company will deliver the same number of barrels out the end point
without actually trying to calculate transport time or any such. The fuel
that goes into company A's tank could have just as easily been put in by
another company shipping the same product.

As it is a totally fungible commodity, the pipeline company just logs how
many barrels in one end and that many barrels belong to company 'A' at the
other end.

But as far as #1, truck fuel, and aviation, is it still all the same now
that road diesel has to be that special (more expensive) ultra-low sulfur
stuff? *Or is home heating oil (#1) and aviation jet fuel also ultra-low
sulfur now?

daestrom

My mother ran out of heating oil and asked if I could bring her some. I
didn't have a barrel, but the oil distributor said he had an empty I could
borrow. When I got there he was filling it with #2 pump diesel. The same
stuff you would put in your diesel pickup or tractor. He said it was the
same stuff and my mother's furnace ran just fine.

Richard W.

There are two sorts of heating oil. 25 sec and 35sec. * (That's how we
measure the viscosity in the UK.) * 25sec (kerosene) is for
vapourising burners. [Basically a big wick]
35 sec (= to diesel) for pressure jet burners.
25 sec can be burnt in a petrol engine. *However the engine needs to
be hot before it will run. *In days of yore some agricultural tractors
ran on this (known as Tractor Vapourising Oil). *They had two tanks,
you started the tractor on petrol & then switch over to the kerosene /
TVO *Smelly exhaust.- Hide quoted text -

Yup; my uncle, in the UK, had a Fordson tractor that started on petrol
and then changed over to paraffin (With ignition not in diesel mode
AFIK) in the 1940s.
Also on one occasion, here in NA, my Briggs and Stratton gasoline/
petrol mower ran out of fuel.
It was hot; so just for the heck of it I finished mowing using
kerosene/paraffin.
Also here to avoid waxing problems in storage cold climate and to
avoid need to for separate storage tanks in small community fuel
depots diesel and furnace oil were (and still are AFIK) the same
product.
Newfoundland Canada.
Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

wrote:

One of my favorite stories, was the English man in US during
the war. He was on the phone. The operator came on, asked if
he was through. He said yes, so she disconnected him. He was
storming about that over breakfast the next day. His host
found the problem.

For the English, Through = connected. Are you "through to
your party yet?". In America, Through = compelted. "Are you
through with your call?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-BvkW_Xp88
Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

"vaughn" wrote in message

wrote in message

I'm not up on the Onan model numbers, but if anyone is talking about
the old opposed-twin flat heads for a backup generator, I wouldn't
think those would be a great choice except for low-use applications.

OLD? They made them for a long time. Don't know when they stopped. If
age
bothers you, find a newer one, but some of the older wones were the best
IMO.

My neighbor was fond of them because he could get them for peanuts,
which was a good thing because he seemed to have gone through quite a
few. They didn't seem especially reliable, quiet, or fuel efficient.

Sorry, I don't know anything about your neighbor so I can't argue about
that, but I can tell you about my Onan because I have known it since it
was
new. It was perhaps 30 years old when I bought it from my employer.
Except
for sparkplugs and batteries, it was all-orignal. Nothing had ever
broken!
To be honest, after I bought it, I did have some problems with points.
Perhaps the problem was the mechanic (me). Anyhow, I solved that issue
with
an electronic ignition conversion.

I'd think that the fuel inefficiency alone of flat-heads makes them
uneconomical for extended use.

There is a germ of truth here. We are talking about something that was
designed when gas cost 50 cents a gallon! There are certainly more
efficient generators around, but they are not cheap and you are unlikely
find them at Home Depot. Fuel cost is important (OK, damn important),
but
it is not the only cost of running a generator..

I'm not even sure that the 1800 RPM is
any great advantage

Running at 1800 RPM (vs 3600 RPM) drastically lowers the pumping loss of
the
engione (increasing efficiency), greatly decreases noise, and reduces
wear.

Better 3600 RPM engines last a long time if properly cared for,

"Better" (commercial quality) engines are expensive and are not found on
consumer-grade generators. I expect my Onan to outlast me. I can't say
that
about any other small engine I own.

and one can throttle most engines down to a lower
speed if planned for.

No, you can't throttle a conventional generator down to lower speed if
you
want 60 HZ power. Running at 1800 RPM (vs 3600 RPM) drastically lowers
the
pumping loss of the engione (increasing efficiency), greatly decreases
noise, and reduces wear. Yes, you could design your own generator with
throttled-down 3600 RPM engine and a belt ratio to get the proper
frequency,
but you would no longer get rated power from the engine.

Finally, these (Onan) generators are made for motorhome use. They must
fit
into a minimum space, must have reliablility comparable with the
vehicle's
engine, and must run with minimum noise and vibration. My neighbors
don't
even know that I have a generator because they can't hear it!

Vaughn

Hey dead man, soon(5 months) you won't have money to buy Arab oil, why?
because your dollar is fallen like a rock.

Why do you people still believe you have face ?

Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
One of my favorite stories, was the English man in US during
the war. He was on the phone. The operator came on, asked if
he was through. He said yes, so she disconnected him. He was
storming about that over breakfast the next day. His host
found the problem.

For the English, Through = connected. Are you "through to
your party yet?". In America, Through = compelted. "Are you
through with your call?"

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

In the USAF an airplane that is ready to fly is "In" - (in commission)
One that is not ready to fly is "Out" (out of commission)
One which is flying is "Up"
One which has landed is "Down"

In the US Navy an airplane that is ready to fly is "Up" (ie, up on the
carrier deck)
One which is not ready is "Down" (ie, down below on the hangar deck)

The Canadian forces keep their aircraft hangared, so in the Canadian forces
an airplane that is ready to fly is "Out" (ie, outside)
One which is not ready to fly is "In" (In the hangar).

To compound the problem, at one time I was on exchange with the Canadian
Forces, with the rank of Captain
There was a Canadian Group Captain on exchange with the USAF. We both
landed at Winnipeg flying T-33s, -- but the Canadian was flying a USAF T-33,
and the American was flying a Canadian T-33 -- and we both had the same last
name! And then my airplane - the Canadian airplane - broke and needed
maintenance. Confusing the last names, the ground crew made the logical
assumption that the Canadian airplane was being flown by the Canadian pilot,
and called the group captain to tell him his aircraft was not flyable. I
walked in wearing my USAF flight suit and asked if my airplane was "In,"
meaning in commission. Thinking I wanted the USAF airplane they told me my
aircraft had been serviced and was ready to fly, so I went to ops, prepared
and filed a flight plan, then headed to the flight line. The ground crew
had a crewchief stationed at the American airplane ready to start, but I was
looking for the Canadian airplane and couldn't find it. When I went back
to maintenance to find my airplane they still thought I was looking for the
USAF airplane and they told me it was "out." (outside) but I thought it was
"out" (of commission), I said "You had told me it was "In" (commission)" and
they replied, "No, it's the Canadian T-33 that's In (for maintenance). The
American T-33 is "Out" (outside.)".

Me: "Wait a minute, I'm Capt. Jones -- I'm flying the Canadian T-33. Who's
flying the American T-33?"
Maintenance: "I thought you were flying the American airplane, which is out.
Group Captain Jones is flying the Canadian T-33, and right now it's in."
Me: "No, I brought in the Canadian T-33 and the last I heard it was out, but
you just told me it's in.
Maintenance: "Sir, the Canadian T-bird IS in, and it'll stay in until we get
a replacement pitot head. The American T-bird is out but Group Captain
Jones hasn't shown up so we may bring it back in."

Abbot and Costello would have been proud of us --

Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote in
:

Eric wrote:
"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message
harry wrote:
On Jul 21, 11:57 pm, George wrote:
harry wrote:
On Jul 20, 4:04 pm, George wrote:
Bruce in alaska wrote:
In article ,
The Daring Dufas wrote:
[...]
of the fuel when loading the Truck or Barge, for deliveries
starting about August, and increase the Ratio of #1 to #2 the
[...]

That's the kind of thing that causes plane crashes and
running out of fuel in mid flight. Gallons? I thought
you meant liters.

TDD

No, he meant _litres_! ;^)

Yea, and "smoking a fag" can mean two entirely different
things. *snicker*

TDD

Ask a brit what they think when an American wears their 'fanny pack'
Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
ransley wrote:

What you call kerosine in the USA we in the UK call paraffin.
Like hoods & bonnets. Bumpers & fenders. Trunks & boots. :-)-

Or butts and bums.

And when the kids in school ask for a rubber nobody stares, it means
eraser

"Two great nations divided by a common language" (George Bernard Shaw?
Winston Churchill?)

But problems may arise in other varieties of English too. I had not been
in Australia long when I heard somebody ask for some Durex. In UK, as in
USA, Durex was/is a common brand of condom. Perhaps Durex condoms did
exist in Australia too, but it was also the brand of a widely used
adhesive tape (a local equivalent of "Scotch tape" -- or "Sellotape" for
the Brits; does the latter still exist?).

Or the time I met a pretty girl in Holy Loch Scotland. She told me I
should "Come 'round tomorrow and knock me up." Being 'knocked up' over
there has an entirely different meaning than in the States :-)

daestrom
Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

Bruce in alaska wrote:
In article ,
"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote:

[...]

Was that maybe because if you shut it down on diesel, the cylinder and
plugs and such would be coated in diesel and not fire well?

I remember a friend of my dad that had a tractor with three tanks. He
had color-coded them, red for gas, green for diesel, and blue for water.
ISTR when running on diesel it also used a bit of water in the
cylinder. To help compression?

daestrom

Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

"daestrom" wrote in message
Or the time I met a pretty girl in Holy Loch Scotland. She told me I
should "Come 'round tomorrow and knock me up." Being 'knocked up' over
there has an entirely different meaning than in the States :-)

You did better than me! To me, those Holy Loch girls may as well have
been speaking Swahili. Couldn't understand a word they were saying.
Strangely, I quickly figured out that it was only a one-way problem; they
could understand me just fine. I guess it was the USA'n TV shows and movies
that they were always watching.

Boy! This thread is really drifting around.

Vaughn

Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

Default multi fuel tractor

On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 05:03:10 +0100, Eeyore wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:

I think I heard that started during world war two. When
gasoline was rationed, but kerosene was much easier
available.

"Richard W." wrote

I have seen some of those tractors, but the more common one
is the International which is started on gas and switched over to
diesel when it got warm. Some of those engines are fairly large.

When you say 'gas', do you mean ( liquid petroleum / natural etc ) gas
or gasoline ? We solve this confusion in the UK by calling gasoline
'petrol' ( from 'petroleum' ). Petrol, gas and diesel engined vehicles
all operate on our roads.

And you are easily confused.

Graham

and to the MORMOM, please don't 'top post' since most people prefer to
see a post that starts with thee question and finishes with the answer
or follow-up comment.

Also blind user readers need bottom posting.
Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

On Jul 25, 1:42 pm, ransley wrote:
On Jul 22, 1:07 pm, harry wrote:

On Jul 21, 11:57 pm, George wrote:

harry wrote:
On Jul 20, 4:04 pm, George wrote:
Bruce in alaska wrote:
In article ,
The Daring Dufas wrote:
[...]

And "Humping" means something totally different!
Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 00:34:02 -0400, "JimR" wrote:

[...]

That's a funny story. You never know if you're talking to a brick
wall, or if the person sees three heads on your shoulders.
Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

harry wrote:
On Jul 21, 11:57 pm, George wrote:
harry wrote:
On Jul 20, 4:04 pm, George wrote:
Bruce in alaska wrote:
In article ,
The Daring Dufas wrote:
[...]

We think you're a woman menstruating. A fanny here is a vagina.
But if you tell us you're sat on your ass, we believe you to be the
owner of a donkey.
Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

On Jul 26, 5:36 pm, daestrom wrote:
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
ransley wrote:

[...]

Now that depends exactly where you are and context. "Knocked up" means
(a) Beat the door to arouse me from sleep.
(b) To get pregnant.
Depends on the locality.

Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

On Jul 26, 6:16 pm, "vaughn"
wrote:
"daestrom" wrote in message

Or the time I met a pretty girl in Holy Loch Scotland. She told me I
should "Come 'round tomorrow and knock me up." Being 'knocked up' over
there has an entirely different meaning than in the States :-)

You did better than me! To me, those Holy Loch girls may as well have
been speaking Swahili. Couldn't understand a word they were saying.
Strangely, I quickly figured out that it was only a one-way problem; they
could understand me just fine. I guess it was the USA'n TV shows and movies
that they were always watching.

Boy! This thread is really drifting around.

Vaughn

If you want to hear extreme English you need to experience Pidgin
English or Nigerian English.
Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

Default Varieties of English. Was: costco honda generator

harry wrote:

Or the time I met a pretty girl in Holy Loch Scotland. She told me I
should "Come 'round tomorrow and knock me up." Being 'knocked up' over
there has an entirely different meaning than in the States :-)

You did better than me! To me, those Holy Loch girls may as well have
been speaking Swahili. Couldn't understand a word they were saying.
Strangely, I quickly figured out that it was only a one-way problem; they
could understand me just fine. I guess it was the USA'n TV shows and movies
that they were always watching.

Boy! This thread is really drifting around.

If you want to hear extreme English you need to experience Pidgin
English or Nigerian English.

Ah, yes. Niuginian indigene (we used to call them "New Guineans")
describing piano: "Im e big-pella box, you itim teeth e cry out."

Or an inhabitant of the same country, having seen both a food mixer in
the missionary's kitchen and the Missionary Aviation Fellowship
fixed-wing aircraft but seeing the MAF helicopter for the first time:
"Mixmaster blong Jesus Christ."

Perce
Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 05:03:10 +0100, in alt.energy.homepower, Eeyore
wrote:

When you say 'gas', do you mean ( liquid petroleum / natural etc ) gas
or gasoline ? We solve this confusion in the UK by calling gasoline
'petrol' ( from 'petroleum' ).

Why not just call it gasoline? Calling it "petrol" is just as stupid as
calling it "gas".

Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

Or my lovely young English friend, just arrived in the states, who asked if she
could borrow my rubber. -- Doug
Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

Douglas Johnson wrote in
:

Or my lovely young English friend, just arrived in the states, who
asked if she could borrow my rubber. -- Doug

you're taking the ****

Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

Long long ago, far, far away... my English girl friend never
could get used to Americans saying they were "stuffed" following
a large meal or, for that matter, the expression "Stuffed Shirt".
--
PeteCresswell
Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

My friend Jack, visiting Australia. Finished a meal, pushed
away and announced "I'm full!". The Aussies started
laughing. Finally he figured out that "I'm full" was slang
for "I'm pregnant".

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote in message
Long long ago, far, far away... my English girl friend never
could get used to Americans saying they were "stuffed"
following
a large meal or, for that matter, the expression "Stuffed
Shirt".
--
PeteCresswell

Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

Michael Dobony wrote:

And you are easily confused.

You're one to talk, polluting the audio groups with your ignorance.

Gas = gas = liquid petroleum gas or liquid natural gas in my book ( for
automotive applications ).

Only US retards use gas to mean petrol.

Graham

btw do think Pacific Gas and Electric runs filling stations ?

--
due to the hugely increased level of spam please make the obvious adjustment
to my email address

Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

Scott wrote:

Eeyore wrote:

When you say 'gas', do you mean ( liquid petroleum / natural etc ) gas
or gasoline ? We solve this confusion in the UK by calling gasoline
'petrol' ( from 'petroleum' ).

Why not just call it gasoline? Calling it "petrol" is just as stupid as
calling it "gas".

Calling it 'gasoline' would be fine, as I do when myself when chatting with
US residents. Calling it 'GAS' is NUTS. A GAS is a GAS not a liquid.

Graham

p.s. why are Americans so retarded ?

--
due to the hugely increased level of spam please make the obvious adjustment
to my email address

Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair
cj cj is offline

Eeyore wrote:

Scott wrote:

Eeyore wrote:

When you say 'gas', do you mean ( liquid petroleum / natural etc ) gas
or gasoline ? We solve this confusion in the UK by calling gasoline
'petrol' ( from 'petroleum' ).

Why not just call it gasoline? Calling it "petrol" is just as stupid as
calling it "gas".

Calling it 'gasoline' would be fine, as I do when myself when chatting with
US residents. Calling it 'GAS' is NUTS. A GAS is a GAS not a liquid.

Graham

p.s. why are Americans so retarded ?

Probably due to the same thing that causes Brits to think that
automobiles have wings...

Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

Eeyore wrote:

Scott wrote:

Eeyore wrote:

When you say 'gas', do you mean ( liquid petroleum / natural etc ) gas
or gasoline ? We solve this confusion in the UK by calling gasoline
'petrol' ( from 'petroleum' ).

Why not just call it gasoline? Calling it "petrol" is just as stupid as
calling it "gas".

Calling it 'gasoline' would be fine, as I do when myself when chatting with
US residents. Calling it 'GAS' is NUTS. A GAS is a GAS not a liquid.

Graham

p.s. why are Americans so retarded ?

--

Yea, us Americans are so retarded that we abbreviate words
like gasoline to save time and space. It's easy to understand

TDD
Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 19:45:22 -0500, against all advice, something
compelled The Daring Dufas , to say:

Eeyore wrote:

Scott wrote:

Eeyore wrote:

[...]

DUDE! YOU RULE!!

--

Don't worry about people stealing an idea. If it's original, you will
have to ram it down their throats.
Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 21:49:31 +0100, in alt.energy.homepower, Eeyore
wrote:

Scott wrote:
Why not just call it gasoline? Calling it "petrol" is just as stupid as
calling it "gas".

Calling it 'gasoline' would be fine, as I do when myself when chatting with
US residents. Calling it 'GAS' is NUTS. A GAS is a GAS not a liquid.

Gas is a state of matter; gasoline is a motor fuel. "Petrol", OTOH, is a
goofy-sounding derivative of a word that can properly refer to any of
hundreds of discrete distillates, and only means "gasoline" by dint of
social convention. Just like "gas" in the US. And just as stupid.

For the most part I just say "we need more fuel", which is valid no matter
the particulars of the car/truck/motorcycle/boat/airplane I'm in. But this
is a result of conditioning from my dad being a truck [lorry] driver, and
there was never a question that trucks use fuel, diesel fuel. Never gas.
It stuck with me.

p.s. why are Americans so retarded ?

1. Most likely a vestige of our English heritage. Take a close look at the
idiots and halfwits we left behind; coming from that kind of stock, is it
any wonder?
2. You need to be more specific; America is a continent (actually a pair of
them); "American" can cover everything from Aleut and Inuit to the Araucan
and any number of Incan descendants, who all originated on other continents
anyway.
3. Your mother.

Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

wrote:
Scott wrote:
[...]

But you had the retard Bush! :-)
And may yet have, (so I hear) the even greater retard Palin!
How can you sleep at night with that possible scenario?

You are quite right about the dimwits over here. They are known
collectively as "New Labour".
We all came from Africa. Just some of us sooner than others.
Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

cj wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
Scott wrote:
Eeyore wrote:

When you say 'gas', do you mean ( liquid petroleum / natural etc ) gas
or gasoline ? We solve this confusion in the UK by calling gasoline
'petrol' ( from 'petroleum' ).

Why not just call it gasoline? Calling it "petrol" is just as stupid as
calling it "gas".

Calling it 'gasoline' would be fine, as I do when myself when chatting with
US residents. Calling it 'GAS' is NUTS. A GAS is a GAS not a liquid.

Graham

p.s. why are Americans so retarded ?

Probably due to the same thing that causes Brits to think that
automobiles have wings...

And what do you call them ? Want to argue over bumper / fender too? The fact is
that GAS is not a LIQUID. Ever heard of a 'phase diagram' ? SOLID, LIQUID, GAS

Graham

--
due to the hugely increased level of spam please make the obvious adjustment to
my email address

Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 13:11:42 +0100, against all advice, something
compelled Eeyore , to
say:

cj wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
Scott wrote:
Eeyore wrote:

When you say 'gas', do you mean ( liquid petroleum / natural etc ) gas
or gasoline ? We solve this confusion in the UK by calling gasoline
'petrol' ( from 'petroleum' ).

Why not just call it gasoline? Calling it "petrol" is just as stupid as
calling it "gas".

Calling it 'gasoline' would be fine, as I do when myself when chatting with
US residents. Calling it 'GAS' is NUTS. A GAS is a GAS not a liquid.

Graham

p.s. why are Americans so retarded ?

Probably due to the same thing that causes Brits to think that
automobiles have wings...

And what do you call them ? Want to argue over bumper / fender too? The fact is
that GAS is not a LIQUID. Ever heard of a 'phase diagram' ? SOLID, LIQUID, GAS

Graham

What is it about Brits and their compulsion to argue? Gas, in
context, is obviously a shortened name for gasoline. I can't
believe you don't understand that, and must conclude that you are
arguing for the sake of argument.

What's up with that?
--

Don't worry about people stealing an idea. If it's original, you will
have to ram it down their throats.
- Howard Aiken
Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

Steve Daniels wrote:

(...)

What is it about Brits and their compulsion to argue? Gas, in
context, is obviously a shortened name for gasoline. I can't
believe you don't understand that, and must conclude that you are
arguing for the sake of argument.

What's up with that?

Oh sorry. This is 'Abuse'.
'Argument' is down the hall.

--Winston
Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

cj wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
Scott wrote:
Eeyore wrote:

[...]

I used to live on a farm. We had a tank of gas (gasoline) for farm
equipment next to a tank of gas (propane) for use in the house, It was
confusing.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent
force for atheism ever conceived." -- Isaac Asimov
Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

The hell! I paid for argument, and I'm not leaving until I
get my money's worth! Now get that bloody snooty nose out of
the air, and get about business, you worthless rag!

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Winston" wrote in message
Steve Daniels wrote:

(...)

What is it about Brits and their compulsion to argue?
Gas, in
context, is obviously a shortened name for gasoline. I
can't
believe you don't understand that, and must conclude that
you are
arguing for the sake of argument.

What's up with that?

Oh sorry. This is 'Abuse'.
'Argument' is down the hall.

--Winston

Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

I'm sure it was tempting to pour a bucket of gasoline onto
your stove, and inflate the fuel tank of your auto with LPG.
No telling how we survived as a species.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

honda generator Winston Home Repair 1 July 9th 09 04:06 PM
Honda EB 5000x generator PSKI Home Repair 2 July 14th 08 02:41 PM
Honda E1500 K3 Generator Dave Home Repair 0 August 1st 06 03:55 PM
Honda eu 2000 Generator [email protected] Home Repair 26 December 5th 05 03:02 PM