Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair
z[_2_] z[_2_] is offline

Default costco honda generator

The Daring Dufas wrote in
:

Eric wrote:
"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message
harry wrote:
On Jul 21, 11:57 pm, George wrote:
harry wrote:
On Jul 20, 4:04 pm, George wrote:
Bruce in alaska wrote:
In article ,
The Daring Dufas wrote:
By the way, correct me if I'm wrong
but isn't jet fuel blended with additives to prevent gelling
or microbe infestation since jet fuel is often exposed to
environmental extremes? TDD
Nope, "Jet Fuel" as you call it is JetA50, and is the same
thing a #1 Diesel, Home Heating Oil, and a few other names.
The difference is, that to be classed JetA50, and sold for
Aviation Fuel, it MUST be Filtered to FAA Spec, and be within
the Specific Gravity, FAA Spec. So, what the Distributer does,
is he has only one Grade of #1 Diesel in his tanks and when he
pumps it for Transport to a customer, it goes thru a different
set of filtering for Aviation, than for Home Heating, or #1
Diesel, but it all comes from the SAME Tank.
My buddy has a liquid fuels business and I have seen the tanks
and pumping systems at multiple fuel dumps and they all had a
totally separate tank for Jet A if Jet A was delivered from that
facility. In my area there are two huge fuel dumps but the Jet A
used at the local airports is trucked in on transports from
another state. Also there isn't a tank called "#1 diesel". They
have multiple tanks for ULSD and LSD and kerosene.
With #2 Diesel, in cold
climates, they have what is called "Winter Mix" where the
Distributer will mix #1 and #2 Diesel, to lower the GellPoint
of the fuel when loading the Truck or Barge, for deliveries
starting about August, and increase the Ratio of #1 to #2 the
farther North and away from the coast the fuel is destine for.
For Gasoline, the distributer will have an "Additive Package"
that they add to the Tank when dispatching a Load, designed for
the prospective customer.
It is more complicated than that. Certain additives are required
and certain additives are optional. They have an array of
injector pumps that meter in the additives when the truck is on
the loading rack according to what the customer purchased.
Many times Shell, Chevron, and
Mobile Gas Stations, will get their fuel from the same
Distributer or supplier and the only difference in the fuel is
the "Additive Package" put in, as the basic fuel, ALL COMES
FROM THE SAME TANK. Depends on who owns the Refinery, or where
the Distributer bough his fuel from, the last time. I have seen
the same truck at two or three different Brand Gas Stations, in
town, on the same day, delivering fuel. the distributer
is 250 miles away, so you know they didn't fill the truck three
times that day.
All truck tankers have bulkheads to form multiple compartments.
That adds strength and limits spillage in case the tanker is
damaged and it also allows them to haul different product in
each compartment if they want.
You can add paraffin (kerosine) to diesel to stop it gelling in
cold weather. (Mix thoroughly).
I think maybe you meant add kerosene to lower the amount of
parafin? Parafin is what is responsible for the gelling effect.

As well as visible water in fuel there can be dissolved water.
For most applications this doesn't matter. However in extremely
low temperatures ice can form so blocking small jets/apertures.
This can't be filtered out but there is a filterlike device that
chemically removes dissolved water in fuel. They use them on
airfields, usually adjacent to the regular filters. Ocassionally
you see a combined device.
What you call kerosine in the USA we in the UK call paraffin.
Like hoods & bonnets. Bumpers & fenders. Trunks & boots. :-)
That's the kind of thing that causes plane crashes and
running out of fuel in mid flight. Gallons? I thought
you meant liters.

TDD

No, he meant _litres_! ;^)

Yea, and "smoking a fag" can mean two entirely different
things. *snicker*

TDD

Ask a brit what they think when an American wears their 'fanny pack'