Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

Default costco honda generator

costco is selling this weekend a honda gx390 13hp powered briggs&stratton rig for
under 1k

the unit is listed as 7000 watts running power with surge power at 12000 watts

is there something in the powerhead design that allows such a wide margin that could
potentially shorten the life of the unit since normally commercial units are
6000/8000w or 6500w/8000w but this one a whopping 7000/12000w ?

the costco unit is equipped also with electric start, battery and runtime meter

Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

jethro wrote:
costco is selling this weekend a honda gx390 13hp powered
briggs&stratton rig for under 1k

the unit is listed as 7000 watts running power with surge power at 12000
watts

is there something in the powerhead design that allows such a wide
margin that could potentially shorten the life of the unit since
normally commercial units are 6000/8000w or 6500w/8000w but this one a
whopping 7000/12000w ?

the costco unit is equipped also with electric start, battery and
runtime meter

Looks like a BS Powerboss with Honda engine. I have a Powerboss with a
BS engine and it is noisy but Honda should run quietly. When I bought
mine at HD, they told me you never know what engines might be used.
I considered the generac part of the unit important and another
consideration is sound insulation which, I believe, keeps Honda quiet.
Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:
consideration is sound insulation which, I believe, keeps Honda quiet.

thanks for the reply

any idea on the 7000/12000watt part of my question?

Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

"jethro" wrote in message
any idea on the 7000/12000watt part of my question?

I haven't seen the unit you are talking about, but the 7000 wats is
probably set by the hp of the engine, and the surge 12,000 by the capacity
of the generator end. In other words, you might find that same generator
end connected to a larger engine rated at perhaps 10,000/12,000. If so,
that sounds like a pretty good combination for home standby power.

Vaughn

Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

"jethro" wrote in message
costco is selling this weekend a honda gx390 13hp powered briggs&stratton

rig for
under 1k

the unit is listed as 7000 watts running power with surge power at 12000

watts

is there something in the powerhead design that allows such a wide margin

that could
potentially shorten the life of the unit since normally commercial units

are
6000/8000w or 6500w/8000w but this one a whopping 7000/12000w ?

the costco unit is equipped also with electric start, battery and runtime

meter

I suggest you take another look at the specs--12,000 watts is not possible
with 13 HP unless some other source of power is contributing. I would have
some doubts about the 7000 watts continuous as being slightly optimistic.

Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

Ulysses wrote:
"jethro" wrote in message
costco is selling this weekend a honda gx390 13hp powered
briggs&stratton rig for under 1k

the unit is listed as 7000 watts running power with surge power at
12000 watts

is there something in the powerhead design that allows such a wide
margin that could potentially shorten the life of the unit since
normally commercial units are 6000/8000w or 6500w/8000w but this one
a whopping 7000/12000w ?

the costco unit is equipped also with electric start, battery and
runtime meter

I suggest you take another look at the specs--12,000 watts is not
possible with 13 HP unless some other source of power is
contributing. I would have some doubts about the 7000 watts
continuous as being slightly optimistic.

1 HP = 746 watts, so 13 HP = 9,700 watts.

Therefore it is THEORETICALLY possible for a 13 HP motor to put out that
7000 running watts (but not 12,000 start watts). The run-time conversion
would require no more than 25% loss due to heat, friction, etc.

Maybe...

Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

On Jul 11, 7:29*am, "jethro" wrote:
costco is selling this weekend a honda gx390 13hp powered briggs&stratton rig for
under 1k

the unit is listed as 7000 watts running power with surge power at 12000 watts

is there something in the powerhead design that allows such a wide margin that could
potentially shorten the life of the unit since normally commercial units are
6000/8000w or 6500w/8000w but this one a whopping 7000/12000w ?

the costco unit is equipped also with electric start, battery and runtime meter

Why would B&S a motor manufacturer use a honda motor, I dont think
they would. The honda motor is good, but the 12000 rating is
misleading and only a second or 2 surge rating.
Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

I returned the unit

the 240v connection produced a very irregular 115v at both phases and causes light and
fridge to flicker on-off

total load at house was below 900 watts

Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

here is the picture

http://i31.tinypic.com/9lll6d.jpg

same equipment at costco for 999.97

http://www.electricgeneratorsdirect....oducts_id=1056
Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

"ransley" wrote in message
On Jul 11, 7:29 am, "jethro" wrote:
costco is selling this weekend a honda gx390 13hp powered briggs&stratton

rig for
under 1k

the unit is listed as 7000 watts running power with surge power at 12000

watts

is there something in the powerhead design that allows such a wide margin

that could
potentially shorten the life of the unit since normally commercial units

are
6000/8000w or 6500w/8000w but this one a whopping 7000/12000w ?

the costco unit is equipped also with electric start, battery and runtime

meter

Why would B&S a motor manufacturer use a honda motor, I dont think
they would. The honda motor is good, but the 12000 rating is
misleading and only a second or 2 surge rating.

I guess they found out many people won't buy an engine that says B&S on it
and have to use Hondas ;-)

Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

ended up getting this Honeywell unit from Northentool

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...9640_200369640

Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

jethro wrote:
costco is selling this weekend a honda gx390 13hp powered
briggs&stratton rig for under 1k

the unit is listed as 7000 watts running power with surge power at 12000
watts

is there something in the powerhead design that allows such a wide
margin that could potentially shorten the life of the unit since
normally commercial units are 6000/8000w or 6500w/8000w but this one a
whopping 7000/12000w ?

the costco unit is equipped also with electric start, battery and
runtime meter

I have a Yamaha 2400W (peak) inverter-generator that will put out 2000W
continuous. That's enough for me to get by in an emergency if my wife
or daughter doesn't try using the microwave or a hair dryer while the
air conditioner is running.

If I didn't have that already, I would be *really* tempted to get a
knockoff Lister 6/1 diesel engine from India and put a generator head on
it. (I just learned about them) 650RPM, relatively quiet, and they'll
run forever. With their massive flywheels, they can supply enormous
surge current, and the frequency shouldn't vary much. And they are too
heavy for the neighbors to steal. ;-)

Bob
Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

On Jul 11, 4:40�pm, "jethro" wrote:
I returned the unit

the 240v connection produced a very irregular 115v at both phases and causes light and
fridge to flicker on-off

total load at house was below 900 watts

The lights flickered because there wasn't enough load on the
generator. I would guess that if you put on more load, it would've
worked fine.

Hank
Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

On Jul 11, 8:38*pm, "jethro" wrote:
ended up getting this Honeywell unit from Northentool

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...roduct_6970_20...

Thew make good boiler controls and thermostats, I bet they didnt make
anything on that gen they just put their name on it.
Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

Hustlin' Hank wrote:
The lights flickered because there wasn't enough load on the
generator. I would guess that if you put on more load, it would've
worked fine.

then why did another (also honda engine) generator produce a clean 119v on the same
load ?

Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:
Thew make good boiler controls and thermostats, I bet they didnt make
anything on that gen they just put their name on it.

do you have any information on this, would appreciate very much to know

Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

jethro wrote:
ransley wrote:
Thew make good boiler controls and thermostats, I bet they didnt make
anything on that gen they just put their name on it.

do you have any information on this, would appreciate very much to know

I was told such things by Honda dealer and HD. The same comments are
true for things like bicycles and cars. The Honda dealer told me to
avoid Coleman as their parts suppliers would be difficult to get parts from.

Curious as to shipping cost of the unit you are buying.
Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:
Curious as to shipping cost of the unit you are buying.

free

Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

honeywell servicing dealers are honda dealers

Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

"Ulysses" wrote in message

"ransley" wrote in message
On Jul 11, 7:29 am, "jethro" wrote:
[...]

I have the understanding that Generac was bought out by Briggs. When I
looked for a manual for my Generac 10 hp Tecumseh, they showed the same
generator stock number with a Briggs engine. I guess that for a while they
used up existing stock. Yet the Generac's like mine are all over.
I got a 3200 watt 4,000 peak Porter Cable generator that had a 6 HP
Tecumseh engine and I replaced it with a Honda 5.5 hp. The Honda wouldn't
pull the load and ran at only about 1/2 the wattage load. I later found out
that Honda engines are over rated on their HP. At work they use the 18 HP
Briggs and as an option they offer a 20 HP Honda. The 18 HP Honda would pull
the same load as the 18 HP Briggs, so the had to use the 20 HP Honda. Both
engines are the V2 design. This is on the Stanley Hydraulic Power units.

http://stanleyhydraulic.com/Products...2/Default.aspx

Richard W.

Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair
You You is offline

In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

I would be *really* tempted to get a
knockoff Lister 6/1 diesel engine from India and put a generator head on
it. (I just learned about them) 650RPM, relatively quiet, and they'll
run forever. With their massive flywheels, they can supply enormous
surge current, and the frequency shouldn't vary much. And they are too
heavy for the neighbors to steal. ;-)

Only if you want to BEBUILD them from the Ground up, BEFORE you actually
try and run them. These vary in quality from very rough to fairly well
done. Some still have casting sand in them and haven't been deburred
from the machining. The design is wonderful. NOthing like a real
Lister, but the knockoffs are a TOTALLY Different thing altogether...
and more have failed than have run good.....
Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

On Jul 12, 8:13�am, "jethro" wrote:
Hustlin' Hank wrote:
The lights flickered because there wasn't enough load on the
generator. I would guess that if you put on more load, it would've
worked fine.

then why did another (also honda engine) generator produce a clean 119v on the same
load ?

More precise governor adjustment/control.

Hank
Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:
On Jul 11, 8:38 pm, "jethro" wrote:
ended up getting this Honeywell unit from Northentool

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...roduct_6970_20...

Thew make good boiler controls and thermostats, I bet they didnt make
anything on that gen they just put their name on it.

Unfortunately like most companies they are just a name that used to mean
good period. They own and manufacture for example the junk ademco alarm
equipment.
Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

Hustlin' Hank wrote:
More precise governor adjustment/control.

have no argument with your there, that is why the costco/honda is apparently a good
engine/bad briggs&stratton electronics for the governor and I would not recommend it
if you want steady voltage at any load using 240v connection

Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

jethro wrote:
Frank wrote:
Curious as to shipping cost of the unit you are buying.

free

There was a calculate shipping thing there and to my zip code they say
$87. I guess that could be reasonable if cheaper than off the shelf items.

Hope I never need another generator but if I do, I'd opt for something
quieter.

Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

Please test it under a variety of situations, and let us
know how it works for you.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"jethro" wrote in message
m...
ended up getting this Honeywell unit from Northentool

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...9640_200369640

Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:
jethro wrote:
Frank wrote:
Curious as to shipping cost of the unit you are buying.

free

There was a calculate shipping thing there and to my zip code they say
$87. I guess that could be reasonable if cheaper than off the shelf
items.
Hope I never need another generator but if I do, I'd opt for something
quieter.

I thought about that. If mine didn't sound like the hinges on the gates of
Hell, I'd be able to hear all my neighbor's generators.

Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
Frank wrote:
jethro wrote:
Frank wrote:
Curious as to shipping cost of the unit you are buying.
free

There was a calculate shipping thing there and to my zip code they say
$87. I guess that could be reasonable if cheaper than off the shelf
items.
Hope I never need another generator but if I do, I'd opt for something
quieter.

I thought about that. If mine didn't sound like the hinges on the gates of
Hell, I'd be able to hear all my neighbor's generators.

I gotta agree with that. OTOH mine is noisiest to me since it's closest
Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

on 7/12/2009 8:42 PM (ET) Frank wrote the following:
HeyBub wrote:
Frank wrote:
jethro wrote:
Frank wrote:
Curious as to shipping cost of the unit you are buying.
free

There was a calculate shipping thing there and to my zip code they say
$87. I guess that could be reasonable if cheaper than off the shelf
items.
Hope I never need another generator but if I do, I'd opt for something
quieter.

I thought about that. If mine didn't sound like the hinges on the
gates of Hell, I'd be able to hear all my neighbor's generators.

I gotta agree with that. OTOH mine is noisiest to me since it's
closest

Mine is loud too, and more so because it is on a walkway between the
house and poolhouse, so it echoes between the walls. I have it
positioned so that the muffler points towards the woods behind my house,
so that it doesn't bother the neighbors as much, but when my generator
is running, so are the neighbor's generators.
I've thought of removing that box muffler and replacing it with a pipe
and auto muffler pointing straight up. Maybe make a removable foam
insulation board surround (3 sides), to keep the motor and generator
noise down.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

They may list the dB rating in the literature. They may even
accurtely report it. Wouldn't that be a surprise!

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...

I thought about that. If mine didn't sound like the hinges
on the gates of
Hell, I'd be able to hear all my neighbor's generators.

Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

I've thought of putting generator in a shed, with fiberglass
insulation and a ceiling bathroom type fan. Run the exhaust
outside. Eaves vents for fresh air coming in.

Or buy a quieter generator, next time.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"willshak" wrote in message

Mine is loud too, and more so because it is on a walkway
between the
house and poolhouse, so it echoes between the walls. I have
it
positioned so that the muffler points towards the woods
behind my house,
so that it doesn't bother the neighbors as much, but when my
generator
is running, so are the neighbor's generators.
I've thought of removing that box muffler and replacing it
with a pipe
and auto muffler pointing straight up. Maybe make a
removable foam
insulation board surround (3 sides), to keep the motor and
generator
noise down.

Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

You wrote:

Only if you want to BEBUILD them from the Ground up, BEFORE you actually
try and run them. These vary in quality from very rough to fairly well
done. Some still have casting sand in them and haven't been deburred
from the machining. The design is wonderful. NOthing like a real
Lister, but the knockoffs are a TOTALLY Different thing altogether...
and more have failed than have run good.....

I beg to differ. I have the GTC (Gecko Trading Co) version of the six
horsepower cold start Listeroid. It has the original seven bolt head and
a chrome bore. An oil filter is also fitted.

No sand or burrs. I know, because I checked it all before firing it up.
I even had the head off to make sure all was in order.

Pure simplicity in construction makes it easy to work on.

I purchased mine he

http://www.ecodieselcanada.com/

I have no business interest or any financial ties with that company. I'm
just a customer. I think the PowerAnand engine is the same design and
probably are the manufacturers.

http://www.poweranand.com/

mike

--
__ __ __ __ __ __ __ __
/ /\ / /\ / /\ / /\ / /\ / /\ / /\ / /

Densa International©
For the OTHER two percent.

Due to the insane amount of spam and garbage,
I block all postings with a Gmail, Google Mail,
Google Groups or HOTMAIL address.
I also filter everything from a .cn server.

For solutions which may work for you, please check:
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

"Frank" wrote in message
Hope I never need another generator but if I do, I'd opt for something
quieter.

If you are reasonably handy, find yourself a good deal on an old Onan
generator like they use in motor homes. They run at half the speed of
portable generators and are much easier to make quiet. Further, most of
them you find still have thousands of hours of reliable operation left in
them.

Vaughn

Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

Thew make good boiler controls and thermostats, I bet they didnt make
anything on that gen they just put their name on it.

the maker of the Honeywell is NORTSHORE POWER SYSTEMS LLC, phone
414-332-2375

Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

"Richard W." wrote in message

"Ulysses" wrote in message

"ransley" wrote in message

On Jul 11, 7:29 am, "jethro" wrote:
[...]

I actually have only a little experience with the B&S OHV engines and it has
been favorable, but those of us who have tried to work on their old standard
lawnmower type engines realize they are basically disposable. Short blocks
are available for a reasonable amount of money for the vertical shaft models
but none were available for a comparable horizonital shaft engine such as is
found on their Pulse 1850 generator. So, basically, in my mind they have a
reputation for making cheap, crappy engines. That doesn't mean that they
don't make better engines now, but in my mind B&S means poor quaility so I
don't even look at them.

I'm not surprised to hear that your Honda engine was overrated. I've had
the same experience on a couple of their engines. Plus many generator
manufacturers seem to underpower their units, probably so they can sell them
for less. The maximum output they give apparently is possible under ideal
conditions. I've had three (two are still running) generators in the 5000
watt range: one is powered by a Honda 9 HP, another is powered by a Tecumseh
10 HP, and the other one is powered by an 11 HP Chinese OHV engine. The
Chinese have given us the little bit more power needed which can come in
handy on a hot day at 3000' elevation. Without actually doing any
scientific tests I would say the Honda is not quite 9 HP, the Tecumseh
really does seem to be 10 HP, and the Chinese is the best suited of the
three. I also have a Chinese 2000 watt generator and they put in a 5.5 HP
engine and it easily keeps up with the loads. Theoretically 4.5 HP should
be able to provide their surge rating of 2300 watts. I noticed that using a
slightly bigger engine does not seem to increase fuel consumption, possibly
because the engines are not having to work quite so hard.

I have two riding mowers and one has a B&S OHV 12.5 HP engine. The other
has a Tecumseh twin cylinder 18 HP engine. The B&S seems to have more power
even though the Tecumseh is rated much higher.

http://stanleyhydraulic.com/Products...2/Default.aspx

Richard W.

Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

"Ulysses" wrote in message

"Richard W." wrote in message

"Ulysses" wrote in message

"ransley" wrote in message

On Jul 11, 7:29 am, "jethro" wrote:
[...]

I pretty much agree with everything you say. Although did you know that the
V2 Briggs engine is made Japan? It's seems all the larger Brigg's engines
are made in Japan including their diesel engine. You shouldn't have had any
trouble ordering a short block for a briggs generator. Also Tecumseh has
went broke and you might want to find a new short block while you can. They
say parts will be made for many years, but so far no one has picked up the
engine lines. I read this on the generator forum on Smokestak. There is a
seller on Ebay that has bought up a lot of stock. The seller goes by
"small-engine-deals". He has had complete engines in the past.

I know people have made adapters for generator heads so that they can be
used with a belt and pulley or direct coupled. I would like to try running
one with a 6 hp diesel engine. This may be a way to use generators ends with
the Tecumseh engines, since no one else make an engine with the proper taper
to fit the gen heads. At least if they do I have never heard about it.

Richard W.

Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

"vaughn" wrote in message

"Frank" wrote in message
Hope I never need another generator but if I do, I'd opt for something
quieter.

If you are reasonably handy, find yourself a good deal on an old Onan
generator like they use in motor homes. They run at half the speed of
portable generators and are much easier to make quiet. Further, most of
them you find still have thousands of hours of reliable operation left in
them.

Vaughn

I have to agree with you there. I have seen Onans with less than 150 hours
being sold from motor homes that are being scraped or the generators are
upgraded to a larger unit.

Richard W.

Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

the maker of the Honeywell is NORTSHORE POWER SYSTEMS LLC, phone
414-332-2375

...and they just confirmed, all parts come from India and China

Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

"Richard W." wrote in message

I know people have made adapters for generator heads so that they can be
used with a belt and pulley or direct coupled. I would like to try running
one with a 6 hp diesel engine. This may be a way to use generators ends
with the Tecumseh engines, since no one else make an engine with the
proper taper to fit the gen heads. At least if they do I have never heard
about it.

Caution. Many portable generators (and some that are not-so-portable) have
only one bearing on the generator rotor. The other part of the rotor is
supported by the engine crankshaft. It would take a machine shop to make an
"adapter" to swap engines for most of those units.

Further; unless you engineered an adapter that incorporated a bearing, belt
driving one of those generators would be impossible.

Vaughn

Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair

On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 08:53:53 -0700, "Ulysses"
wrote:

That doesn't mean that they
don't make better engines now, but in my mind B&S means poor quaility so I
don't even look at them.

As I'm sure you know, the modern, imported, OHV small engines are all
starting to look *very* similar in quality. I have a 13hp clone of the
popular Honda model and it's really nicely made. Time will tell if
it's as good as it looks, but there's one thing I have no doubt about:
most of Honda's rep for quality was based on the difference between
them and their competitors' older models. Honda earned that
reputation, but the resultant brand loyalty should be less now that
their competitors have improved so much.

I noticed that using a
slightly bigger engine does not seem to increase fuel consumption, possibly
because the engines are not having to work quite so hard.

With either engine It takes the same amount of horsepower to do the
job. All other things being equal, a bigger engine should use a little
more fuel since there's more friction and waste with larger piston
etc. But it seems that design can sometimes make up for that. For
example, our car was offered with a 2.4L 4 cylinder, and a 3.5L 6 with
100 extra hp. Even though the 6 added some weight, it delivers
slightly better highway mileage. Things like chain-driven cams and
variable valve timing on both cams probably more than made up for the
extra friction and weight. The following year they offered a
redesigned 4, and now the same vehicle gets slightly better mileage
with that, which indicates that the tech is probably now equal in the
2 current engines.

Wayne

honda generator Winston Home Repair 1 July 9th 09 04:06 PM
Honda EB 5000x generator PSKI Home Repair 2 July 14th 08 02:41 PM
Honda E1500 K3 Generator Dave Home Repair 0 August 1st 06 03:55 PM
Honda eu 2000 Generator [email protected] Home Repair 26 December 5th 05 03:02 PM