Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair
Percival P. Cassidy Percival P. Cassidy is offline

Default Varieties of English. Was: costco honda generator

harry wrote:

Or the time I met a pretty girl in Holy Loch Scotland. She told me I
should "Come 'round tomorrow and knock me up." Being 'knocked up' over
there has an entirely different meaning than in the States :-)

You did better than me! To me, those Holy Loch girls may as well have
been speaking Swahili. Couldn't understand a word they were saying.
Strangely, I quickly figured out that it was only a one-way problem; they
could understand me just fine. I guess it was the USA'n TV shows and movies
that they were always watching.

Boy! This thread is really drifting around.

If you want to hear extreme English you need to experience Pidgin
English or Nigerian English.

Ah, yes. Niuginian indigene (we used to call them "New Guineans")
describing piano: "Im e big-pella box, you itim teeth e cry out."

Or an inhabitant of the same country, having seen both a food mixer in
the missionary's kitchen and the Missionary Aviation Fellowship
fixed-wing aircraft but seeing the MAF helicopter for the first time:
"Mixmaster blong Jesus Christ."

Perce