Posted to alt.home.repair

Default A Noisy Whirlpool in Window A/C

It' got into the 90s today here, and I decided to turn on my Whirlpool a/c,
model acq062mm, and enjoy it in one room. It was doing fine pushing out cold
air, but the fan kept getting louder. The sound is definitely connected to
the rotation of the fan. I finally stopped it and looked for the owner's
manual. It was really of no use. Any ideas? It was working quite well at the
end of last summer. Since a foot or more hangs out the window, maybe
something got into the fan area.
--
W. eWatson

Web Page: www.speckledwithstars.net/

Posted to alt.home.repair

Big Bob wrote:
Motor needs oil?

"W. eWatson" wrote in message
It' got into the 90s today here, and I decided to turn on my
Whirlpool a/c, model acq062mm, and enjoy it in one room. It was
doing fine pushing out cold air, but the fan kept getting louder.
The sound is definitely connected to the rotation of the fan. I
finally stopped it and looked for the owner's manual. It was really
of no use. Any ideas? It was working quite well at the end of last
summer. Since a foot or more hangs out the window, maybe something
got into the fan area. --

I got a free A/C for an elderly friend a few years ago that had a very noisy
fan. I took the fan moror apart, took out the bearings, and replaced them for
about $15 at a bearing shop. It's still working great.

Take off the case and look if you think something might be rubbing on the fan.
It should only be a few screws.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 27, 11:04*pm, "W. eWatson" wrote:
It' got into the 90s today here, and I decided to turn on my Whirlpool a/c,
model acq062mm, and enjoy it in one room. It was doing fine pushing out cold
air, but the fan kept getting louder. The sound is definitely connected to
the rotation of the fan. I finally stopped it and looked for the owner's
manual. It was really of no use. Any ideas? It was working quite well at the
end of last summer. Since a foot or more hangs out the window, maybe
something got into the fan area.
--
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * W. eWatson

* * * * * * * (121.015 Deg. W, 39.262 Deg. N) GMT-8 hr std. time)
* * * * * * * *Obz Site: *39° 15' 7" N, 121° 2' 32" W, 2700 feet

* * * * * * * * * * *Web Page: www.speckledwithstars.net/

What does it sound like, does it sound like water splashing, old units
drained the pan, newer units keep the pan full and are do sound
different when the fan fills and water is being used to help the
cooling process, or is it a bearing noise, or kina klunky like the
neighbors cat died and is stuck in there.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"W. eWatson" wrote:

It' got into the 90s today here, and I decided to turn on my Whirlpool a/c,
model acq062mm, and enjoy it in one room. It was doing fine pushing out cold
air, but the fan kept getting louder. The sound is definitely connected to
the rotation of the fan. I finally stopped it and looked for the owner's
manual. It was really of no use. Any ideas? It was working quite well at the
end of last summer. Since a foot or more hangs out the window, maybe
something got into the fan area.

While all the others are possibilities- I'll go with Occam's Razor.
If you can get air, or a powerful stream of water back to it, try
cleaning the fan blades. The last few window bangers I've bought are
designed to keep a puddle in the AC that the fan dips into. Great
place for mold to grow, attach to the fan & throw it off balance.

You could narrow the possibilities, perhaps, by trying to describe the
noise. Is it fan noise, bearing noise, a bang on start-up, or a
rattling sound?

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

It's 4:45 am here with a temp of 67F outside. I started it. It puts out cold
air immediately, and the noise. The noise sounds like that produced by a
bicycle with a piece of stiff cardboard inserted into a spoked wheel. It's
the sort of noise kids used to do with bicycles to make them sound like a
motorcycle or a motor. Turn it off and it sounds like such a bicycle slowing
down. There's got to be something stuck in the fan. Later this morning,
when I can get some help pulling the a/c out of the window, I'll examine it
by opening it up.

--
W. eWatson

Web Page: www.speckledwithstars.net/

Posted to alt.home.repair

Most likely the fan blade is hitting the fan shroud.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"W. eWatson" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

W. eWatson wrote:
It's 4:45 am here with a temp of 67F outside. I started it. It puts out
cold air immediately, and the noise. The noise sounds like that produced
by a bicycle with a piece of stiff cardboard inserted into a spoked
wheel. It's the sort of noise kids used to do with bicycles to make them
sound like a motorcycle or a motor. Turn it off and it sounds like such
a bicycle slowing down. There's got to be something stuck in the fan.
Later this morning, when I can get some help pulling the a/c out of the
window, I'll examine it by opening it up.

It could be a label or tag that has come loose.
A piece of paper, a loose wire or even a twig
can do the same thing. ST mentioned that a part
of the plastic shroud around the fan could be
the culprit. If it's a wire, fix it fast or the
unit will quit working.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default A Noisy Whirlpool in Window A/C--Solved

I decided to remove the top cover portion sticking out the window. One screw
on each side of the cover near the outside wall prevented that. I enlisted
the aid of my wife. I gave her the "easy" part. Stand inside the room, and
I'd shove the unit into the room 6", and she could unloosen the two screws.
As soon as I pushed that activated an unseen wasp nest under the unit and
partly in the window frame. She suddenly was dealing with about 10 wasps.
Got stung by one, but is OK. Fortunately, the room was closed off and has a
door to the outside. I left it open and cleared the wasps out and their nest.

When I got the cover off, all I could see is mechanical devices, and lines.
A couple of electrical cables. No fan. It was in the well sealed compartment
ahead of this one.

Even when I had the unit loose in the window, the fan was behaving much
better. It's now hanging in place at an angle, well braced, and works just
fine in that position. Unfortunately, getting to the fan compartment is a
bigger job than I want now. Possible a label or paper got stuck peeled off.
When the sun is beating on the outside area in a few hours, I'll put it all
back in place.

Thanks to all.

--
W. eWatson

Web Page: www.speckledwithstars.net/

Posted to alt.home.repair

W. eWatson wrote:
[...]

The sting to my wife's arm is safely past. I looked at the back compartment
without the glare of the sun, and see the (a?) fan is at the back, 10-14". I
could not see anything obvious that caused the difficulty. There may be some
smaller fans in the front that blow the air out that had something stuck
inside them. All is working well. I found more empty wasp nests. They were
not under the box, but wedged along the space between the fan and window
frame. I've patched it so they have less room to wedge the nest in.