Posted to alt.home.repair
W. eWatson W. eWatson is offline

Default A Noisy Whirlpool in Window A/C--Solved

W. eWatson wrote:
I decided to remove the top cover portion sticking out the window. One
screw on each side of the cover near the outside wall prevented that. I
enlisted the aid of my wife. I gave her the "easy" part. Stand inside
the room, and I'd shove the unit into the room 6", and she could
unloosen the two screws. As soon as I pushed that activated an unseen
wasp nest under the unit and partly in the window frame. She suddenly
was dealing with about 10 wasps. Got stung by one, but is OK.
Fortunately, the room was closed off and has a door to the outside. I
left it open and cleared the wasps out and their nest.

When I got the cover off, all I could see is mechanical devices, and
lines. A couple of electrical cables. No fan. It was in the well sealed
compartment ahead of this one.

Even when I had the unit loose in the window, the fan was behaving much
better. It's now hanging in place at an angle, well braced, and works
just fine in that position. Unfortunately, getting to the fan
compartment is a bigger job than I want now. Possible a label or paper
got stuck peeled off. When the sun is beating on the outside area in a
few hours, I'll put it all back in place.

Thanks to all.

The sting to my wife's arm is safely past. I looked at the back compartment
without the glare of the sun, and see the (a?) fan is at the back, 10-14". I
could not see anything obvious that caused the difficulty. There may be some
smaller fans in the front that blow the air out that had something stuck
inside them. All is working well. I found more empty wasp nests. They were
not under the box, but wedged along the space between the fan and window
frame. I've patched it so they have less room to wedge the nest in.

--
W. eWatson

Web Page: www.speckledwithstars.net/