Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to kill hornets - special situation

I have a set of three wooden steps resting on concrete outside a door. The
structure is completely enclosed, but with lots of cracks where hornets can
get in and out.

I am afraid to try to remove any of the boards to gain access. I can stick
a tube into the interior through a crack

At night, I tried pouring a small amount (all I happened to have) of
ammonia through the tube into the interior yo see if the fumes would kill
them or drive them out. It didn't happen.

Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

And how, given the situation can one get the spray into the area of the
nest??

On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 21:51:50 -0600, Tony Hwang wrote:

wrote:
I have a set of three wooden steps resting on concrete outside a door. The
structure is completely enclosed, but with lots of cracks where hornets can
get in and out.

I am afraid to try to remove any of the boards to gain access. I can stick
a tube into the interior through a crack

At night, I tried pouring a small amount (all I happened to have) of
ammonia through the tube into the interior yo see if the fumes would kill
them or drive them out. It didn't happen.

Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi,
I'd use spray made to kill them. It works.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Does the powder neet to be sprayed on the nest? If so, I cannot do it
because I do not have access to the nest. It is inside the enclosed stair
structure.

On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 22:53:26 -0500, Bert Byfield
wrote:

I have a set of three wooden steps resting on concrete outside a
door. The structure is completely enclosed, but with lots of
cracks where hornets can get in and out.
I am afraid to try to remove any of the boards to gain access. I
can stick a tube into the interior through a crack
At night, I tried pouring a small amount (all I happened to have)
of ammonia through the tube into the interior yo see if the fumes
would kill them or drive them out. It didn't happen.
Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

*Sevin* powder.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a set of three wooden steps resting on concrete outside a
door. The structure is completely enclosed, but with lots of
cracks where hornets can get in and out.
I am afraid to try to remove any of the boards to gain access. I
can stick a tube into the interior through a crack
At night, I tried pouring a small amount (all I happened to have)
of ammonia through the tube into the interior yo see if the fumes
would kill them or drive them out. It didn't happen.
Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

*Sevin* powder.

Or if you are in Texas, a bit of C4
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 24, 11:46*pm, wrote:

Any suggestions will be appreciated. *Thanks.

Got picture/s?

I'm guessing a ground nest, under/behind the concrete. Those jobs can
be a real bitch, w/o wooden steps.

Generally speaking, if you can't get to them, you start thinking about
sealing them in.

You can try removing the wood, slowly and gently, at night. Hornets,
IME, can be somewhat difficult to get to respond if you're not in
their face. The entrance to the nest is probably some distance from
the steps.

I'm guessing there's a door right there, and they'll make plenty of
noise giving you fair warning to get out of the way.
-----

- gpsman

Posted to alt.home.repair

gpsman wrote:
On Jun 24, 11:46 pm, wrote:
Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

Got picture/s?

I'm guessing a ground nest, under/behind the concrete. Those jobs can
be a real bitch, w/o wooden steps.

Generally speaking, if you can't get to them, you start thinking about
sealing them in.

You can try removing the wood, slowly and gently, at night. Hornets,
IME, can be somewhat difficult to get to respond if you're not in
their face. The entrance to the nest is probably some distance from
the steps.

I'm guessing there's a door right there, and they'll make plenty of
noise giving you fair warning to get out of the way.
-----

- gpsman

The supply houses for the trades sell wasp and hornet
spray that will shoot a stream 20 feet. It works!
Blast it through the cracks.

http://tinyurl.com/kk7kq9

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for a thoughtful reply. I believe the nest must be right under a
step because I do not believe there are any cracks in the concrete below
the steps where they could get in.

I will take pictures in the morning, place them on a web site, and post a
reply here with a link.

On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 21:17:13 -0700 (PDT), gpsman
wrote:

On Jun 24, 11:46*pm, wrote:

Any suggestions will be appreciated. *Thanks.

Got picture/s?

I'm guessing a ground nest, under/behind the concrete. Those jobs can
be a real bitch, w/o wooden steps.

Generally speaking, if you can't get to them, you start thinking about
sealing them in.

You can try removing the wood, slowly and gently, at night. Hornets,
IME, can be somewhat difficult to get to respond if you're not in
their face. The entrance to the nest is probably some distance from
the steps.

I'm guessing there's a door right there, and they'll make plenty of
noise giving you fair warning to get out of the way.
-----

- gpsman

Posted to alt.home.repair

Since I cannot direct the spray onto the nest, they will come out other
cracks and get me!

On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 23:25:13 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

gpsman wrote:
On Jun 24, 11:46 pm, wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have a set of three wooden steps resting on concrete outside a door. The
structure is completely enclosed, but with lots of cracks where hornets
can
get in and out.

I am afraid to try to remove any of the boards to gain access. I can
stick
a tube into the interior through a crack

Wait til after dark, so all the hornets are "home"... If you can get the
spray into there , thru a crack(s) just use the can and let 'em have it with
about half the can (stay "upwind)..then head inside.
If you can't get the spray inside that way, slip the "tube" you mention into
the crack. Use a can of Walgreens "Flying Insect" killer (not wasp spray)
and shoot it thru the tube.

Do it again the next night..etc til they're gone. I did this for a nest in
a roof/soffit. It took 3-4 nights to get em all

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
One cannot stand on the steps or even get too near them without being mass
attacked as per the painful experience of two family members. I am afraid
to drill a hole.

At night, I tried pouring a small amount (all I happened to have) of
ammonia through the tube into the interior yo see if the fumes would
kill
them or drive them out. It didn't happen.

You got the ammonia in, now put the insecticide in the same way. Seems
rather simple. Do it at night.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 24, 10:46*pm, wrote:
I have a set of three wooden steps resting on concrete outside a door. *The
structure is completely enclosed, but with lots of cracks where hornets can
get in and out.

I am afraid to try to remove any of the boards to gain access. *I can stick
a tube into the interior through a crack

At night, I tried pouring a small amount (all I happened to have) of
ammonia through the tube into the interior yo see if the fumes would kill
them or drive them out. *It didn't happen.

Any suggestions will be appreciated. *Thanks.

Ive killed maybe 20 nests over the years with Ortho Seven, Usualy I
pour power at daytime, throwing a plastic drop cloth ofer the area
will contain the carnage.You might feel safer at night. Ive also had
luck with Sevin liqued, When it dries is when I believe it works, its
sold in a bottle you attach to a hose but the powder is more
concentrate and effective. Fill a meat baster with sevin and squit in,
then leave. Even at the entrance the powder is brought into the nest,
it can take a few aplications if you dont get much in.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bert Byfield wrote:
I have a set of three wooden steps resting on concrete outside a
door. The structure is completely enclosed, but with lots of
cracks where hornets can get in and out.
I am afraid to try to remove any of the boards to gain access. I
can stick a tube into the interior through a crack
At night, I tried pouring a small amount (all I happened to have)
of ammonia through the tube into the interior yo see if the fumes
would kill them or drive them out. It didn't happen.
Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

*Sevin* powder.

Good choice. Dusts are usually recommended for insects that aren't
accessible because the bugs contact the dust when they enter and leave
the nest. One of the "long range" hornet/wasp sprays might also work,
depending on how large the nest. Use after dark, when they are less
active. I would avoid the area, including mowing grass nearby, until
they are gone.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article 31, Bert Byfield wrote:
I have a set of three wooden steps resting on concrete outside a
door. The structure is completely enclosed, but with lots of
cracks where hornets can get in and out.
I am afraid to try to remove any of the boards to gain access. I
can stick a tube into the interior through a crack
At night, I tried pouring a small amount (all I happened to have)
of ammonia through the tube into the interior yo see if the fumes
would kill them or drive them out. It didn't happen.
Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

*Sevin* powder.

And here's how to disperse it:

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.humor.
best-of-usenet/browse_thread/thread/31053844a12578b2/98382ad748cbceb7
Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

On Jun 24, 10:46*pm, wrote:
I have a set of three wooden steps resting on concrete outside a door. *The
structure is completely enclosed, but with lots of cracks where hornets can
get in and out.

I am afraid to try to remove any of the boards to gain access. *I can stick
a tube into the interior through a crack

At night, I tried pouring a small amount (all I happened to have) of
ammonia through the tube into the interior yo see if the fumes would kill
them or drive them out. *It didn't happen.

Any suggestions will be appreciated. *Thanks.

Wait until night, then duct tape all the cracks except one small
hole. Stick the nozzle of a spray can of insecticide in the small
hole, start spraying, and beat on the steps. If they can't get out
the spray will get them all.
Red
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I have a set of three wooden steps resting on concrete outside a door. The
structure is completely enclosed, but with lots of cracks where hornets can
get in and out.

I am afraid to try to remove any of the boards to gain access. I can stick
a tube into the interior through a crack

At night, I tried pouring a small amount (all I happened to have) of
ammonia through the tube into the interior yo see if the fumes would kill
them or drive them out. It didn't happen.

Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

I've had a similar situation several times. Wasps nest in the crosstie
retaining walls all around my home. Vicious little *******s.

I use an insect fogger, taped to a long pipe or conduit.
turn it on, then hold it up to the access hole until it stops.
You may be able to rest it against - or on - something so you can back
off further. It works for me.

As others have said, at night, or the coolest time of day is best.

Another thing I've done that is satisfying though less effective:
Get your electric leaf vaccum, the one with the 4-ft long by 4" diameter
suction nozzle. Connect and extension cord, turn the switch on to high,
but don't plug it in. Prop the sucking end up so it's at their entrance
hole. then walk back and plug the unit in.
As the critters try to enter or leave, they get sucked in and
mulched. I had a large conical pile of yellow wasp pieces after 30
minutes or so. All it does is reduce the population though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for a thoughtful reply. I believe the nest must be right
under a step because I do not believe there are any cracks in the
concrete below the steps where they could get in.

It's time to consider paying a pro to do the job.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DGDevin" wrote in message
m...
wrote:

I have a set of three wooden steps resting on concrete outside a
door. The structure is completely enclosed, but with lots of cracks
where hornets can get in and out.

I am afraid to try to remove any of the boards to gain access. I can
stick a tube into the interior through a crack

At night, I tried pouring a small amount (all I happened to have) of
ammonia through the tube into the interior yo see if the fumes would
kill them or drive them out. It didn't happen.

Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

I recently saw a show about the folks who try to suppress invasive
yellowjackets in Hawaii. They wear protective clothing when attacking the
nests (in the ground) and the poison they spray into the opening to the
nest is mint oil in part because they don't have to worry about being
poisoned by it themselves. The trick is to make sure you get the queen so
the nest is finished. It sounds like you have a tough situation because
you can't get at the nest easily, maybe it's worth calling a pro since
they're experienced at dealing with such situations.

There is some useful info he

http://gardening.yardener.com/Yarden...ithPestInsects

Interesting site, but I have to disagree with some of what they say:

"Fact Number Two - Virtually every time a pest insect attacks a plant in
your yard, that plant was in a state of stress BEFORE the insect arrived.
Pest insects seldom bother healthy plants. So the best way to control pest
insect problems is to find all the ways you can to have very healthy
plants."

Virtually every time? Control with healthy plants? That is a load of crap.
There are healthy strong plants that are very tasty to certain insects and
pests, and they will happily devour the plant if they can. Tomato Hornworms
will happily and quickly devour your healthy tomatoes. Cucumber beetles will
quickly eat baby cucumbers, squash, and beans. Although the risk of damage
to the plants diminishes as they plants get bigger, they still feast on
them. Mature healthy tomatillos and sunflowers are very tasty to cucumber
beetles, and they will feast on them and breed in enormous numbers,
guaranteeing a lot of hungry babys next spring when you are trying to get
your little plants to grow big enough so that they can survive the feasting
bugs. A couple of big fat Oregon slugs will make quick work of a healthy and
happy eggplant plant. I know - I live in Oregon, and I've seen the damage a
six inch slugs can do to my healthy eggplants in just one night. Insect
pests love healthy plants

They also fail to mention how much more aggressive yellow jackets are over
paper wasps and other hornets. Paper wasps will build nests on your porch
and you can walk by them and approach them as close as 12 inches or less and
they will ignore you. I would not do that with a yellow jacket nest, as they
are a lot more sensitive to people approaching the nest - they built a nest
about six feet up in a tree above my pool last year, and I had to destroy
them because no one could use the pool. I'll destroy any yellow jacket I see
with extreme prejudice, but all paper wasps and other hornets are welcome to
my yard and garden. Leave me alone, I leave you alone. Yellow jackets are
not very good at leaving you alone if their nest is nearby.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Zootal wrote:

Interesting site, but I have to disagree with some of what they say:

"Fact Number Two - Virtually every time a pest insect attacks a plant
in your yard, that plant was in a state of stress BEFORE the insect
arrived. Pest insects seldom bother healthy plants. So the best way
to control pest insect problems is to find all the ways you can to
have very healthy plants."

Maybe they mean emotional stress. ;~)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 07:37:52 -0500, against all advice, something
compelled Ken , to say:

If you can pour something into the hole, a small amount of gasoline
will get rid of the hornets. I do not think it kills them so much as
the smell drives them out. In my case I had a hole in the back yard and
used a funnel and a couple ounces of gas.

Ammonia and chlorine bleach make chlorine gas.

Just sayin' . . .

--

Don't worry about people stealing an idea. If it's original, you will
have to ram it down their throats.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 25, 4:13*pm, Phisherman wrote:
On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 00:30:25 -0400, wrote:
Since I cannot direct the spray onto the nest, they will come out other
cracks and get me!

They won't if you wait after sundown, they don't fly in the dark. *The
hornet spray kills on contact.

Sevin dust doesnt make them angry at all. I have dusted it directly on
them.

Jimme
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 24, 10:46*pm, wrote:
I have a set of three wooden steps resting on concrete outside a door. *The
structure is completely enclosed, but with lots of cracks where hornets can
get in and out.

I am afraid to try to remove any of the boards to gain access. *I can stick
a tube into the interior through a crack

At night, I tried pouring a small amount (all I happened to have) of
ammonia through the tube into the interior yo see if the fumes would kill
them or drive them out. *It didn't happen.

Any suggestions will be appreciated. *Thanks.

Seal up the whole stairway airtight with plastic sheeting. Now get
about 5 or 6 aerosol "bug bomb" cans and gas them to death under the
plastic by releasing the bug bombs under the sealed plastic. Leave
the plastic in place for a few days so they are entrapped within the
poison. Nothing will live through that. Make sure the plastic
entirely seals the stairs by duct taping it to the house and slab,
etc. Additionally you can pump hornet liguid with an atomizer (a
paint sprayer) under the plastic, they gotta breath and eat all that
poison some time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 25, 4:10*pm, windcrest wrote:
On Jun 24, 10:46*pm, wrote:

[...]

Use clear plastic that lets in light so they have a desire to exit
their nest into the poison vapors.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hipupchuck wrote:
wrote:
I have a set of three wooden steps resting on concrete outside a
door. The
structure is completely enclosed, but with lots of cracks where
hornets can
get in and out.

I am afraid to try to remove any of the boards to gain access. I can
stick
a tube into the interior through a crack

At night, I tried pouring a small amount (all I happened to have) of
ammonia through the tube into the interior yo see if the fumes would kill
them or drive them out. It didn't happen.

Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

Caulk all the cracks or use Great Stuff foam.

And next spring, he'll be rebuilding the steps because the wood rotted
out. Such structures are made to breathe for a reason.

I'd just douse it every other evening, for a week or so, with one of the
squirtgun spray cans from raid or whoever. If the holes are small, they
don't fly in and out, they walk. Douse the entry points, and they will
pick up enough of it.

They also sell powder stuff, at Farm Bureau. I used it a couple years
ago for a ground bee infestation. (Got tired of wearing long pants to
mow, in 90 degree weather.) I presume there is something for hornets
available. Just a few puffs every night at the entry points.

If the steps are starting to show their age, I'd look at precast
concrete ones to replace. They don't all scream 'trailer park' any more-
some are actually pretty decent looking.
--
aem sends...

KILL ALL THE WHITE PEOPLE KILL EM ALL [email protected] Woodworking 1 July 10th 07 02:03 AM
VHS to DVD, Special Situation.. Brad Electronics Repair 13 October 23rd 05 08:00 PM
Hornets Jim Home Repair 17 August 21st 05 07:49 PM
How to remove multiple hornets/wasps nests from attic... Ken Moiarty Home Repair 15 June 5th 05 01:47 PM
Preventing wasps & hornets from behind shutters Alan Sung Home Ownership 1 May 19th 05 07:28 PM