Posted to alt.home.repair
DGDevin DGDevin is offline

Default How to kill hornets - special situation

wrote:

I have a set of three wooden steps resting on concrete outside a
door. The structure is completely enclosed, but with lots of cracks
where hornets can get in and out.

I am afraid to try to remove any of the boards to gain access. I can
stick a tube into the interior through a crack

At night, I tried pouring a small amount (all I happened to have) of
ammonia through the tube into the interior yo see if the fumes would
kill them or drive them out. It didn't happen.

Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

I recently saw a show about the folks who try to suppress invasive
yellowjackets in Hawaii. They wear protective clothing when attacking the
nests (in the ground) and the poison they spray into the opening to the nest
is mint oil in part because they don't have to worry about being poisoned by
it themselves. The trick is to make sure you get the queen so the nest is
finished. It sounds like you have a tough situation because you can't get
at the nest easily, maybe it's worth calling a pro since they're experienced
at dealing with such situations.

There is some useful info he

http://gardening.yardener.com/Yarden...ithPestInsects