Ken Moiarty

Default How to remove multiple hornets/wasps nests from attic...

.... without getting stung multiple times, that is? Can someone direct me to
a do-it-yourself FAQ in this topic? (I have a notion that this common
home-owner problem probably gets asked about and answered on a regular
basis.) Thanks.

With best regards, Ken Moiarty. E-mail:

Hopkins

As mentioned, if the nests are big and plentiful, you should consider a
pro. If not, you have to hit them when it's cool. When it's warm the
hornets are out and about -- when it's cool, they're typically at the
nest and move slow.

I haven't used a fogger-in-a-can, but the spray I'd recommend is TAT.
You can get it at MAB or Sherwin-Williams [I forget which], or Google
it and try to find a retail outlet. It's the one spray that's truly a
one shot kill.

Bert Byfield

... without getting stung multiple times, that is? Can someone direct
me to a do-it-yourself FAQ in this topic? (I have a notion that this
common home-owner problem probably gets asked about and answered on a
regular basis.) Thanks.

It's not that complicated. Get a can of wasp spray (I like foaming-type,
but others don't care). Wait until dark. Go out with a flashlight and the
can. Light on! Spray with gusto! Light off! Walk (don't run, they take
running away as a sign of guilt) quietly away.

If this is not end-of-story, call a professional and gladly write the
check.

Harry K

Ken Moiarty wrote:
... without getting stung multiple times, that is? Can someone direct me to
a do-it-yourself FAQ in this topic? (I have a notion that this common
home-owner problem probably gets asked about and answered on a regular
basis.) Thanks.

With best regards, Ken Moiarty. E-mail:

This time of year, the nests -should- be empty. The queens are just
starting their brood. You should be hanging wasps traps up there now to
trap them. Also the common paper wasps do not re-use a nest. Most of
what you are seeing should be empty for that reason. I use the long
distance spray cans that I can spray from at least 15 ft away. Have
done it in the middle of a warm day with no problem but that was
outside.

Harry K

Ken Moiarty

The nests are very small. When I noticed them there were a handful of wasps
on and nearby busily (apparently) in process of constructing them. Both
nests ("both" that is, if I don't find others when finally I make the effort
to search the rest of the attic) can only be accessed from inside the attic.
The attic itself can only be accessed and exited through a ceiling hatch
inside a tiny closet (unless you're a wasp, of course), and this hatch is
much less than 15 feet away from the two nests. Can't see myself spraying
these guys from any kind of 'safe distance' here... An image of myself
reflexively hopping as fast as I can away from the nests and past my tiny
exit hatch, my eventual escape further aggravated by the need to step only
on the rafters to avoid crashing through the ceiling-drywall between, in a
panicked bid to escape my frenzied attackers, comes to mind. Maybe I'll
hire a pro afterall g.

BTW, I'm in Vancouver, Canada. Maybe what you're saying about "this time of
year the nests should be empty" applies to elsewhere on the continent?

Ken

Harry wrote on 2 Jun 2005 06:09:04 -0700:

HK Ken Moiarty wrote:
?? ... without getting stung multiple times, that is? Can someone direct
?? me to a do-it-yourself FAQ in this topic? (I have a notion that this
?? common home-owner problem probably gets asked about and answered on a
?? regular basis.) Thanks. With best regards, Ken Moiarty. E-mail:
??

HK This time of year, the nests -should- be empty. The queens are just
HK starting their brood. You should be hanging wasps traps up there now to
HK trap them. Also the common paper wasps do not re-use a nest. Most of
HK what you are seeing should be empty for that reason. I use the long
HK distance spray cans that I can spray from at least 15 ft away. Have
HK done it in the middle of a warm day with no problem but that was
HK outside.

Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Ken Moiarty wrote:
An image of myself
reflexively hopping as fast as I can away from the nests and past my tiny
exit hatch, my eventual escape further aggravated by the need to step only
on the rafters to avoid crashing through the ceiling-drywall between, in a
panicked bid to escape my frenzied attackers, comes to mind. Maybe I'll
hire a pro afterall g.

Before I hired a pro, I think I'd toss a couple of foggers up there at night and
slam the door behind you. See how they like that, the little *******s!

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

PaPaPeng

On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 04:29:10 GMT, "Ken Moiarty"
wrote:

The attic itself can only be accessed and exited through a ceiling hatch
inside a tiny closet (unless you're a wasp, of course), and this hatch is
much less than 15 feet away from the two nests. Can't see myself spraying
these guys from any kind of 'safe distance' here...

I had a yellow jacket nest under the front concrete landing that
nothing could reach and they had too many alternative escape routes.
I (live alone) was quite happy to let them be but the postman left a
note that my mail would be stopped if I didn't remove them. My final
solution was to use a badminton racquet to swat them. Best fun I ever
had. Good workout. Ecologicall friendly and didn't cost a cent. I
could cut them into half in mid-flight and they didn't even know what
hit them. Therefore none I hit could send any warning signals to
their nestmates. Over three days I must have killed enough to starve
out the nest.

Ken Moiarty

Now that sounds like an idea! But could you describe a little more for me
as to what a "fogger" is exactly and/or where I should be able to buy one?
Thanks.

Ken

Mortimer wrote on Fri, 03 Jun 2005 04:34:11 GMT:

MSR Before I hired a pro, I think I'd toss a couple of foggers up there at
MSR night and slam the door behind you. See how they like that, the
MSR little *******s!

Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Ken Moiarty wrote:
Now that sounds like an idea! But could you describe a little more for me
as to what a "fogger" is exactly and/or where I should be able to buy one?
Thanks.

Back in the days when I had a cat, late summer would become uncomfortable due to
all the fleas in the carpet. I'd nuke them with foggers that you should be able
to buy at the grocery store or any home improvement store. All a fogger is is a
spray can that once activated, doesn't stop spraying until it's empty. You'd
put a sheet of newspaper on the carpet, place the activated fogger on the paper
and vacate the premises for a couple of hours. When you got back, air the room
out. With fleas, you'd wait a week or so and repeat to get the eggs that
hatched after you nuked but before they reproduced again. Two treatments would
take care of the infestation until the following year.

In your case, you wouldn't need to place paper or air anything out. I would
think flea spray would work just fine against wasps in an enclosed area like an
attic. An insect is an insect... they all breath the same. I'd go ahead and
toss all three cans in; I doubt anything will survive.

It should cost roughly $10 US for a three pack. Look for 3 cans of "flea spray"
packaged in a box. There well may be dedicated foggers just for wasps... ask at
the home center. If not, try the flea spray.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

jim bosworth

wrote:

... without getting stung multiple times, that is? Can someone direct me to
a do-it-yourself FAQ in this topic? (I have a notion that this common
home-owner problem probably gets asked about and answered on a regular
basis.) Thanks.

With best regards, Ken Moiarty. E-mail:

After you do away with the little devils, hang "no pest strips" in the
attic and replace as required. they wont come back.
Harry K

Ken Moiarty wrote:
Now that sounds like an idea! But could you describe a little more for me
as to what a "fogger" is exactly and/or where I should be able to buy one?
Thanks.

Ken

Mortimer wrote on Fri, 03 Jun 2005 04:34:11 GMT:

MSR Before I hired a pro, I think I'd toss a couple of foggers up there at
MSR night and slam the door behind you. See how they like that, the
MSR little *******s!

In your previous you say you have active ones working. I guess the
season is farther along than I thought. Anyway, the fogger. Any
grocery store will have them. Cans about the size of 16oz beer cans,
pop top per instructions and -leave- instantly. You should be able to
set off two while standing in the hatch. Do NOT breath the fog. I did
once (one breath to get out of the basement) and my sinuses ran like a
river for an hour. Once cleared of live ones, try to block anyway for
them to get in. Probably hopeless as they can get through very small
holes/cracks.

Harry K

Stormin Mormon

I've heard of folks using a shopvac with a long hose. (Length of PVC pipe
taped to the end of the wand?). The problem is when you finish, you have a
shopvac full of wasps. Maybe then vacuum some automobile exhaust and sedate
them that way?

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus