Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default How to kill hornets - special situation

Hipupchuck wrote:
wrote:
I have a set of three wooden steps resting on concrete outside a
door. The
structure is completely enclosed, but with lots of cracks where
hornets can
get in and out.

I am afraid to try to remove any of the boards to gain access. I can
stick
a tube into the interior through a crack

At night, I tried pouring a small amount (all I happened to have) of
ammonia through the tube into the interior yo see if the fumes would kill
them or drive them out. It didn't happen.

Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

Caulk all the cracks or use Great Stuff foam.

And next spring, he'll be rebuilding the steps because the wood rotted
out. Such structures are made to breathe for a reason.

I'd just douse it every other evening, for a week or so, with one of the
squirtgun spray cans from raid or whoever. If the holes are small, they
don't fly in and out, they walk. Douse the entry points, and they will
pick up enough of it.

They also sell powder stuff, at Farm Bureau. I used it a couple years
ago for a ground bee infestation. (Got tired of wearing long pants to
mow, in 90 degree weather.) I presume there is something for hornets
available. Just a few puffs every night at the entry points.

If the steps are starting to show their age, I'd look at precast
concrete ones to replace. They don't all scream 'trailer park' any more-
some are actually pretty decent looking.
--
aem sends...