Jim

Default Hornets

Just two months ago I had a reroofing job done including gutters.
Apparently at the juncture of the roof and gutter hornets have found a
void and have established a nest. Being somewhat protected from direct
view the power spray hornet killers have had no effect. With this nest
near the back door I'd really like to see them gone.

Any suggestions before I consider calling in the pros?
Bert Byfield

Just two months ago I had a reroofing job done including gutters.
Apparently at the juncture of the roof and gutter hornets have found a
void and have established a nest. Being somewhat protected from direct
view the power spray hornet killers have had no effect. With this nest
near the back door I'd really like to see them gone.
Any suggestions before I consider calling in the pros?

Walk carefully when near them.

Jmagerl

Jim wrote:
Just two months ago I had a reroofing job done including gutters.
Apparently at the juncture of the roof and gutter hornets have found a
void and have established a nest. Being somewhat protected from
direct view the power spray hornet killers have had no effect. With
this nest near the back door I'd really like to see them gone.

Any suggestions before I consider calling in the pros?

This may or may not work for you.
Last month I had yellow jackets in my soffits. I mounted a 6 inch muffin
(high speed) fan (Radio Shack) on a 2X4 and propped it up 6 inches from
their entrance. As they flew in and out, they got sucked into the fan and
chopped up. Within a day there were none left. I was than able to climb a
ladder and give the nest a dose of poison. I used a puffer filled with
Drione poison

Richard J Kinch

Jim writes:

Any suggestions before I consider calling in the pros?

Patience. They all die in the fall (in temperate climes). Then you fill
the leak.
Matt

Have you no soul? How could you chop God's insects into little bits?

/I like it
//You should have put it on a web cam as well

Jim

Lar wrote:
In article , says...
Lar wrote:
In article ,
says...
Just two months ago I had a reroofing job done including gutters.
Apparently at the juncture of the roof and gutter hornets have found a
void and have established a nest. Being somewhat protected from direct
view the power spray hornet killers have had no effect. With this nest
near the back door I'd really like to see them gone.

Any suggestions before I consider calling in the pros?

Can you determine if they are paper wasps, yellow jackets, or bald faced
hornets?

Believe they are the paper wasps. Have wiped out others nests in the
yard nearby.

Paperwasps
http://arrow-pestcontrol.com/paperwasp.JPG really shouldn't
be a bother to you if they are out of the way as you say. Their nest
should be small enough that if you had to get on a ladder to treat them
you probably would be safe enough. Do it at night. Use the products
that is supposed to be an instant knock down for wasps.

I've used 4 cans so far. Unable to get a direct flow to the nest
though. At the entrances they seem to be drinking like tonic water.

Jim

Jmagerl wrote:
Jim wrote:

Just two months ago I had a reroofing job done including gutters.
Apparently at the juncture of the roof and gutter hornets have found a
void and have established a nest. Being somewhat protected from
direct view the power spray hornet killers have had no effect. With
this nest near the back door I'd really like to see them gone.

Any suggestions before I consider calling in the pros?

This may or may not work for you.
Last month I had yellow jackets in my soffits. I mounted a 6 inch muffin
(high speed) fan (Radio Shack) on a 2X4 and propped it up 6 inches from
their entrance. As they flew in and out, they got sucked into the fan and
chopped up. Within a day there were none left. I was than able to climb a
ladder and give the nest a dose of poison. I used a puffer filled with
Drione poison

I'll let you know if I succeed as well. The idea makes sense. I had a
120VAC fan available and mounted it this morning. One thing for sure at
the present they definitely aren't happy about it.
Bert Byfield

This may or may not work for you.
Last month I had yellow jackets in my soffits. I mounted a 6 inch
muffin (high speed) fan (Radio Shack) on a 2X4 and propped it up 6
inches from their entrance. As they flew in and out, they got sucked
into the fan and chopped up. Within a day there were none left. I was
than able to climb a ladder and give the nest a dose of poison. I
used a puffer filled with Drione poison

I'll let you know if I succeed as well. The idea makes sense. I had
a 120VAC fan available and mounted it this morning. One thing for
sure at the present they definitely aren't happy about it.

Some of these bugs will fly to a regular electric bug zapper, too.

The Real Tom

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 09:53:21 -0500, "Jmagerl"
wrote:

Jim wrote:
Just two months ago I had a reroofing job done including gutters.
Apparently at the juncture of the roof and gutter hornets have found a
void and have established a nest. Being somewhat protected from
direct view the power spray hornet killers have had no effect. With
this nest near the back door I'd really like to see them gone.

Any suggestions before I consider calling in the pros?

This may or may not work for you.
Last month I had yellow jackets in my soffits. I mounted a 6 inch muffin
(high speed) fan (Radio Shack) on a 2X4 and propped it up 6 inches from
their entrance. As they flew in and out, they got sucked into the fan and
chopped up. Within a day there were none left. I was than able to climb a
ladder and give the nest a dose of poison. I used a puffer filled with
Drione poison

I've been told to get rid of whole nests, just use a shopvac, and when
done, give a few puffs of insectide. Don't open the shopvac, have it
on and spray the insecticide into the hose. Then shut it off.

I don't know how serious this is, I never tried it, so best to get
help from an experienced person.

later,

tom @ www.carpenter-ant-killer.com

Andy Hill

Jim wrote:
Jmagerl wrote:
Jim wrote:

[...]

As a backup, I've run a shopvac hose (shopvac running, of course) up close to
the entrance of big underground nests, and let 'er run for an hour or so. Duct
tape the end of the hose once you're done, and let the varmints cook in the sun.
You still need to poison the nest to kill off the not-quite-ready-to-fly crowd,
but it's a lot easier with most of their Combat Air Patrol in the shopvac.
phaeton

This may or may not work for you.
Last month I had yellow jackets in my soffits. I mounted a 6 inch muffin
(high speed) fan (Radio Shack) on a 2X4 and propped it up 6 inches from
their entrance.

That's awesome! Great idea! In theory, if they all get chopped up,
won't the larvae in the nest starve, and then the poison is
unnecessary?

A farmer i knew once swore by hosing their nests with gasoline. Dunno
bout y'all but spraying your house with volatile fuel doesn't sound
good to me. My gf says that soapy water is the best thing for japanese
beetle infestations- the soap sticks to their bodies and smothers them.
Never tried it on wasps.

You know, it's too bad they like to bite n sting, because wasps are
amazing little creatures. Fascinating organic builder robots.

Matt

Actually, I don't think they 'like' to sting. I saw a special on
Discovery once, that said wasps actually try to warn you first by
butting their heads into you. As a victim of many previous stings, this
didn't sound right; but I figured, well, liberal hippie tv insect love
- whatever.

About 2 weeks later, was going up the stairs to my deck, felt something
'bumping' my legs, looked down - and sure as **** there were the wasps,
doing just what the discovery channel said they do. Freaked out, ran
inside... but didn't get stung.

Duane Bozarth

Matt wrote:

Actually, I don't think they 'like' to sting. I saw a special on
Discovery once, that said wasps actually try to warn you first by
butting their heads into you. As a victim of many previous stings, this
didn't sound right; but I figured, well, liberal hippie tv insect love
- whatever.

About 2 weeks later, was going up the stairs to my deck, felt something
'bumping' my legs, looked down - and sure as **** there were the wasps,
doing just what the discovery channel said they do. Freaked out, ran
inside... but didn't get stung.

Damn! I need to get cable so these guys out here can learn to do what
they're supposed to do and quit stingin' the crap out of me!

Just like the da^h^hrn owls that are supposed to take moles, gophers,
skunks, ...
Jim

Andy Hill wrote:

As a backup, I've run a shopvac hose (shopvac running, of course) up close to
the entrance of big underground nests, and let 'er run for an hour or so. Duct
tape the end of the hose once you're done, and let the varmints cook in the sun.
You still need to poison the nest to kill off the not-quite-ready-to-fly crowd,
but it's a lot easier with most of their Combat Air Patrol in the shopvac.

Getting access to that nest is proving to be a problem. Tried the
muffin fan routine but found enough managed to go around it to where it
had limited success.

Today I have your shopvac method in use. Chose the small tip to create
a narrow but intense suction zone. Placed with the tip mere inches away
from the main entrance all seems well so far. Catching both the
arriving and departing critters.

Maybe this time I'll be able to attack the nest itself as you say
without the presence of a large Combat Air Patrol.

Preventing wasps & hornets from behind shutters Alan Sung Home Ownership 1 May 19th 05 08:28 PM
Removal of Tree John Wilson UK diy 82 February 22nd 05 12:45 PM
Hornet's nest help [email protected] Home Ownership 5 November 14th 04 07:37 AM