Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Steel Beam Prices

Anyone have a rough idea on what a W5x19 17 feet (KSI 50) beam might cost per foot or total price. I'd be buying 2. Just received my plan in the mail and everyone's closed. I'm in northern NY state. Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 20, 9:27*am, "John" wrote:
Anyone have a rough idea on what a W5x19 17 feet (KSI 50) *beam *might cost per foot or total price. *I'd be buying 2. * Just received my plan in the mail and everyone's closed. *I'm in northern NY state. *Thanks. *

Are you starting construction over the weekend...?

Chill until Monday. Local pricing is the only thing that will
matter. Even if someone on here is in your (remote) neck of the
woods, the price they get probably won't be the same price you'll get.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 20, 9:27*am, "John" wrote:
Anyone have a rough idea on what a W5x19 17 feet (KSI 50) *beam *might cost per foot or total price. *I'd be buying 2. * Just received my plan in the mail and everyone's closed. *I'm in northern NY state. *Thanks. *

weighs 19 lbs /foot at approx $0.65/lb = $12.35 /ft
Posted to alt.home.repair

50-60 cents a pound should get you in the ball park.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"John" wrote in message
Anyone have a rough idea on what a W5x19 17 feet (KSI 50) beam
might cost per foot or total price. I'd be buying 2. Just
received my plan in the mail and everyone's closed. I'm in
northern NY state. Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 20, 8:04*pm, "DanG" wrote:
50-60 cents a pound should get you in the ball park.

Is that delivered?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Not in my area. Delivery would be extra, I assumed the question
was for purchase price. Taxes would also be additional. Delivery
might be included if dealing with a supplier with whom you do
plenty of business but I don't think that is the case with the
original post.

--
______________________________

"RicodJour" wrote in message
On Jun 20, 8:04 pm, "DanG" wrote:
50-60 cents a pound should get you in the ball park.

Is that delivered?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 21, 9:58*am, "DanG" wrote:
Not in my area. *Delivery would be extra, I assumed the question
was for purchase price. *Taxes would also be additional. *Delivery
might be included if dealing with a supplier with whom you do
plenty of business but I don't think that is the case with the
original post.

That was my point in my first post. It's not a big ticket item, and
the 'extras' like delivery, one-time-buyer status and tax will make a
big difference in the final cost.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "DanG" wrote:
Not in my area. Delivery would be extra, I assumed the question
was for purchase price. Taxes would also be additional. Delivery
might be included if dealing with a supplier with whom you do
plenty of business but I don't think that is the case with the
original post.

Depends on the dealer. Also depends on the buyer's flexibility in taking
delivery. About two years ago, I bought four beams from a dealer I'd never
done business with before, and they delivered free of charge -- probably
because I was willing to wait to get the steel until they had another delivery
nearby.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 21, 7:14*am, RicodJour wrote:
On Jun 21, 9:58*am, "DanG" wrote:

Not in my area. *Delivery would be extra, I assumed the question
was for purchase price. *Taxes would also be additional. *Delivery
might be included if dealing with a supplier with whom you do
plenty of business but I don't think that is the case with the
original post.

That was my point in my first post. *It's not a big ticket item, and
the 'extras' like delivery, one-time-buyer status and tax will make a
big difference in the final cost.

Rico's original post is correct.....only the local delivered cost
matters.

I'm in SoCal, so I have a significant number of steel suppliers within
30 miles. The cost for hot rolled steel shapes varies all over the
map.....from as little as 30¢ to as much as $1 a pound. It depends
on what's in stock, the popularity of the desired section......and how
hungry the supplier be.

I typically figure $1 pound delivered so I'm always pleasantly
surprised when I get the real quote (except for square tube which is
often very expensive).

OP, plus with a 17' finished length most likely you'll be paying for
the whole 20' plus a cut charge.

Why such a shallow section? Head height restrictions? A shallow
beam is way less efficient use of material than a deeper one.

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

RicodJour wrote:
On Jun 21, 9:58 am, "DanG" wrote:
Not in my area. Delivery would be extra, I assumed the question
was for purchase price. Taxes would also be additional. Delivery
might be included if dealing with a supplier with whom you do
plenty of business but I don't think that is the case with the
original post.

That was my point in my first post. It's not a big ticket item, and
the 'extras' like delivery, one-time-buyer status and tax will make a
big difference in the final cost.

And even on delivery, delivery on site versus delivery in place, can
make a big difference. When I was a wee lad, my father always used steel
beams down the center of basements, versus the ganged 2x10s most other
builders in the area used. He tried real hard to not have the steel
delivered until the block walls were cured, footers for the posts were
in place, and the posts themselves bolted down. It made it a whole lot
easier to drop it right in place with the crane on the truck.

(Saw the strangest thing at an estate sale last year. Small house, and
the beam running down the center of the basement looked funny. After a
few minutes, the penny dropped, and I realized it was an upside down
hunk of used railroad track holding the house up.)

--
aem sends....

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , aemeijers wrote:

(Saw the strangest thing at an estate sale last year. Small house, and
the beam running down the center of the basement looked funny. After a
few minutes, the penny dropped, and I realized it was an upside down
hunk of used railroad track holding the house up.)

Yep, I've seen that before. My parents have a vacation cottage in a small town
in northern Michigan, where the support beams in the basement are reclaimed
trolley track.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 21, 2:47*pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , aemeijers wrote:

(Saw the strangest thing at an estate sale last year. Small house, and
the beam running down the center of the basement looked funny. After a
few minutes, the penny dropped, and I realized it was an upside down
hunk of used railroad track holding the house up.)

Yep, I've seen that before. My parents have a vacation cottage in a small town
in northern Michigan, where the support beams in the basement are reclaimed
trolley track.

It's higher quality steel than you'll find in your average steel beam,
and presumably much cheaper. I hope they didn't take it in the middle
of the night from a working rail line...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , aemeijers wrote:

(Saw the strangest thing at an estate sale last year. Small house, and
the beam running down the center of the basement looked funny. After a
few minutes, the penny dropped, and I realized it was an upside down
hunk of used railroad track holding the house up.)

Yep, I've seen that before. My parents have a vacation cottage in a small town
in northern Michigan, where the support beams in the basement are reclaimed
trolley track.

That actually is a plausible scenario for the house I saw- it dates from
around when the interurban rail that used to go across south MI went
belly up, and it isn't too far from an abandoned right-of-way. Midnight
requisition, or maybe the guy who built the place worked on the line, or
the dismantling of it. Or if not that, CN (ex- GT) has a major switching
and repair yard here, and it used to be even bigger, so there were lots
of guys around with access to the materials and the skills to work it.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 20, 9:27*am, "John" wrote:
Anyone have a rough idea on what a W5x19 17 feet (KSI 50) *beam *might cost per foot or total price. *I'd be buying 2. * Just received my plan in the mail and everyone's closed. *I'm in northern NY state. *Thanks.

My first instinct might be to check out some of the scrap metal places
for a deal on price but the cost of the things may be the least of
your worries. Getting it delivered may csot more than the beams unless
you can DIY. If they can be found at a scrap yard yiu could probably
get them for about $.25 a pound 2 to 3 time that for new. This is
something you could probably rent a trailer to move if you have a
vehicle that will pull it. Renting a trailer may cost $50 or so a day.
The local tool rental place here has them. Where you buy the beams
should load them for you . You can unload them by chaining the ends to
a tree amd pulling the trailer from underneath them.

Jimmie