Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default Steel Beam Prices

On Jun 21, 2:47*pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , aemeijers wrote:

(Saw the strangest thing at an estate sale last year. Small house, and
the beam running down the center of the basement looked funny. After a
few minutes, the penny dropped, and I realized it was an upside down
hunk of used railroad track holding the house up.)

Yep, I've seen that before. My parents have a vacation cottage in a small town
in northern Michigan, where the support beams in the basement are reclaimed
trolley track.

It's higher quality steel than you'll find in your average steel beam,
and presumably much cheaper. I hope they didn't take it in the middle
of the night from a working rail line...