Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Underperforming toilet.

The toilet at our camp is not flushing properly. When flushed, the bowl
will rise, but the whirlpool will not form. After a few minutes, the water
level will fall but the bowl is never flushed. If I manually cause the tank
to fill to a higher level than normal and then hold the flapper open for the
tank to fully drain, the whirlpool does form and the bowl clears. This came
on suddenly. It looks like I have a partial clog. The plumber's helper
does not seem to help. I suspect female trouble.

Will the kind of snake used for sinks and such work in a toilet or do I have
to buy one of the special ones for toilets?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jun 15, 8:36*pm, "Dan Listermann" wrote:
The toilet at our camp is not flushing properly. *When flushed, the bowl
will rise, but the whirlpool will not form. *After a few minutes, the water
level will fall but the bowl is never flushed. *If I manually cause the tank
to fill to a higher level than normal and then hold the flapper open for the
tank to fully drain, the whirlpool does form and the bowl clears. *This came
on suddenly. *It looks like I have a partial clog. *The plumber's helper
does not seem to help. *I suspect female trouble.

Will the kind of snake used for sinks and such work in a toilet or do I have
to buy one of the special ones for toilets?

Get good advice from maybe Ace Hardware and buy what they recommend
snakewise. Option Two would be remove the toilet to work on it if the
snake seems helpless. You Tube and other sources can guide you through
a toilet remove and install, as folks in the NG have said many times,
'it isn't rocket science'. Having a straight shot down the waste pipe
with the snake is far easier than getting it through all the twists
and turns in the commode itself.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair
RLM RLM is offline

On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 21:36:35 -0400, Dan Listermann wrote:

The toilet at our camp is not flushing properly. When flushed, the bowl
will rise, but the whirlpool will not form. After a few minutes, the water
level will fall but the bowl is never flushed. If I manually cause the tank
to fill to a higher level than normal and then hold the flapper open for the
tank to fully drain, the whirlpool does form and the bowl clears. This came
on suddenly. It looks like I have a partial clog. The plumber's helper
does not seem to help. I suspect female trouble.

Will the kind of snake used for sinks and such work in a toilet or do I have
to buy one of the special ones for toilets?

What you want is a closet auger.
Best priced one I found.
http://www.nextag.com/COBRA-ELECTRON...23/prices-html

Posted to alt.home.repair

...that's the reason I will never go back to gravity toilets, ever since I
installed a pressure-flush toilet. The pressure flush toilet has never
clogged on us after 10 years using it, whereas our previous gravity toilet
would clog once every few months. Huge difference.

Posted to alt.home.repair

RLM wrote:
On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 21:36:35 -0400, Dan Listermann wrote:

The toilet at our camp is not flushing properly. When flushed, the bowl
will rise, but the whirlpool will not form. After a few minutes, the water
level will fall but the bowl is never flushed. If I manually cause the tank
to fill to a higher level than normal and then hold the flapper open for the
tank to fully drain, the whirlpool does form and the bowl clears. This came
on suddenly. It looks like I have a partial clog. The plumber's helper
does not seem to help. I suspect female trouble.

Will the kind of snake used for sinks and such work in a toilet or do I have
to buy one of the special ones for toilets?

What you want is a closet auger.
Best priced one I found.
http://www.nextag.com/COBRA-ELECTRON...23/prices-html

Second the closet auger.
Cheap, easy to use and effective.

--Winston

Posted to alt.home.repair

"iwdplz" wrote in message
..that's the reason I will never go back to gravity toilets, ever since I
installed a pressure-flush toilet. The pressure flush toilet has never
clogged on us after 10 years using it, whereas our previous gravity toilet
would clog once every few months. Huge difference.

Talk to me about the pressure flush toilet. Is that where the water
pressure pressurizes an accumulator?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joe" wrote in message
[...]

I installed the toilet about two months ago. I would rather not have to do
that again if I can avoid it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The toilet at our camp is not flushing properly. When flushed, the bowl
will rise, but the whirlpool will not form. After a few minutes, the water
level will fall but the bowl is never flushed. If I manually cause the tank
to fill to a higher level than normal and then hold the flapper open for the
tank to fully drain, the whirlpool does form and the bowl clears. This came
on suddenly. It looks like I have a partial clog. The plumber's helper
does not seem to help. I suspect female trouble.

Will the kind of snake used for sinks and such work in a toilet or do I have
to buy one of the special ones for toilets?

"The Lazy Flush"*

http://www.toiletology.com/lazy-03.shtml

Muriatic Acid has been discussed here before AND it works. Follow
safety precautions.

Posted to alt.home.repair
rlz rlz is offline

wrote:
The toilet at our camp is not flushing properly. *When flushed, the bowl
will rise, but the whirlpool will not form. *After a few minutes, the water
level will fall but the bowl is never flushed. *If I manually cause the tank
to fill to a higher level than normal and then hold the flapper open for the
tank to fully drain, the whirlpool does form and the bowl clears. *This came
on suddenly. *It looks like I have a partial clog. *The plumber's helper
does not seem to help. *I suspect female trouble.

Will the kind of snake used for sinks and such work in a toilet or do I have
to buy one of the special ones for toilets?

"The Lazy Flush"*

http://www.toiletology.com/lazy-03.shtml

Muriatic Acid has been discussed here before AND it works. Follow
safety precautions.

One of the things that is commonly overlooked is the Jet at the
bottomof the toilet. Not only does wwater come down from the rim, but
it also comes out of the jet at the bottom of the bowl. The jet
release forces water into the bottom channel which causes the
whirlpool. Overtime, hard water buildup can clog the jet giving the
symptoms that you mention. Clean the jet using a tootbrush, and this
should solve your problem.

RLZ

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 14:45:26 -0400, "Dan Listermann"
wrote:

wrote:
[...]

Fill a 5 gallon bucket with water, steadily pouring in the bowl. If it
goes down then chances are the lines are not blocked, not a need to
auger and remove the bowl.

Clean the rim/bowl jets and the toilet should work fine and have the
desired swirl.

The acid method will do a good job. It really doesn't take 24 hours as
mentioned in the link above.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dan Listermann"
Talk to me about the pressure flush toilet. Is that where the water
pressure pressurizes an accumulator?

They're pretty simple, the pressure tank is inside the toilet tank rather
than having a float with flapper valve. They're sold in every hardware
store and nothing fancy is required other than just a different type of
toilet. The water pressure builds up inside the pressure tank and it is
water efficient and produces a much more powerful flush. So instead of
having to flush 5 times with a traditional toilet because the contents in
the bowl overwhelm the weak gravity flush, you flush just once with a
pressure toilet. So it saves water too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"iwdplz" wrote in message
"Dan Listermann"
Talk to me about the pressure flush toilet. Is that where the water
pressure pressurizes an accumulator?

They're pretty simple, the pressure tank is inside the toilet tank rather
than having a float with flapper valve. They're sold in every hardware
store and nothing fancy is required other than just a different type of
toilet. The water pressure builds up inside the pressure tank and it is
water efficient and produces a much more powerful flush. So instead of
having to flush 5 times with a traditional toilet because the contents in
the bowl overwhelm the weak gravity flush, you flush just once with a
pressure toilet. So it saves water too.

So this is a special toilet, not something that can be retrofitted.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dan Listermann" wrote in message
So this is a special toilet, not something that can be retrofitted.

That's correct as far as I understand because the bowl is a little different
to accomodate the way that the water dynamic flows out differently. If
there is some retrofit kit on the market it would be easier to just install
a new toilet.

I used to have an old style gravity toilet that was built prior to the water
conservation efforts and it used several gallons per flush. Then 10 years
ago I replaced it with a new gravity toilet and I was very disappointed with
the weakness of the flush. I couldn't believe how weak it was in
comparison. So I ended up throwing it away and replacing it with a pressure
model. Since then I will never go back to a gravity unit, they are junk in
my opinion because you can't do a decent flush with less than 2 gallons of
water using gravity.

Posted to alt.home.repair

...also the reason we don't see pressure toilets in every house these days is
because they are noisier than the gravity toilets. But the extra noise is
ok with me and I'd rather have that than messing around with stuck goop on a
frequent basis.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"iwdplz" wrote:

[...]

Maybe you just bought a ****ty (intended) low-flow. When I bought mine,
it's flush was far *more* powerful than the water hog it replaced. I've
been extremely happy with it for 20 years.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"iwdplz" wrote in message
[...]

You can get a retrofit unit, but the camp is on a well and our pressure is
probably not up to the requirements.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"iwdplz" wrote in message
[...]

I raised the tank's level and it now forms the whirlpool, but the bowl may
not clear. I figure that the jets are clogged (suggestions about how to
clean them) or the drain is constricted.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 17, 11:46�am, "Dan Listermann" wrote:
"iwdplz" wrote in message

[...]

clean them) or the drain is constricted.- Hide quoted text -

if it flushes solids normally with a bucket of water the interior
passages are clogged, its time for acid
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

wrote:
[...]

Raising the tank's level seemed to do the trick, but this morning, under
load, it did not finish the flush. Last night I used an auger, but it did
not seem to help.

Does anybody have any suggestions about cleaning out the jets. I am
thinking a set of Allen wrenches might work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bent coat hanger?

I read some where about a guy who poured muriatic acid in
the overflow tube, and it came out the jets. The acid
loosened the calcium scale.

They make toilet cleaner bottles with a squirt up nozzle, I
don't know if any of them dispense acid to loosen the
calcium.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Dan Listermann" wrote in message

Raising the tank's level seemed to do the trick, but this
morning, under
load, it did not finish the flush. Last night I used an
auger, but it did
not seem to help.

Does anybody have any suggestions about cleaning out the
jets. I am
thinking a set of Allen wrenches might work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

.

"Dan Listermann" wrote in message

Raising the tank's level seemed to do the trick, but this
morning, under
load, it did not finish the flush. �Last night I used an
auger, but it did
not seem to help.

Does anybody have any suggestions about cleaning out the
jets. �I am
thinking a set of Allen wrenches might work.

I am the muriatic acid guy it works great asa others here have
reported.

Acid is safe if used with a little care, it dissolves thew sediment
that builds up in the bowl rim passages

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 10:02:09 -0400, "Dan Listermann"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

wrote:
[...]

Did you read the link above? I'm curious!

Otherwise, use Allen wrenches if you want to.

How will you get the sediment out that is horizontal along the rim,
between passages?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 12:02:58 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

I am the muriatic acid guy it works great asa others here have
reported.

Be careful Bob. The was also Acid Man the Mafia gangster.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In a world where so many things don't work. It sure is kind
of you to share something that does work. Thank you.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"bob haller" wrote in message

I am the muriatic acid guy it works great asa others here
have
reported.

Acid is safe if used with a little care, it dissolves thew
sediment
that builds up in the bowl rim passages

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jun 15, 8:36*pm, "Dan Listermann" wrote:
The toilet at our camp is not flushing properly.

snip

All this hue and cry about the toilet makes me wonder if the
downstream plumbing is up to code. For example, this being a 'camp'
does the system actually have a genuine vent of 3" or better tied into
the toilet discharge line? And if there is one, is it open? Free of
bird nests, whatever? Worth checking, I would think.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joe" wrote in message
On Jun 15, 8:36 pm, "Dan Listermann" wrote:
The toilet at our camp is not flushing properly.

snip

All this hue and cry about the toilet makes me wonder if the
downstream plumbing is up to code. For example, this being a 'camp'
does the system actually have a genuine vent of 3" or better tied into
the toilet discharge line? And if there is one, is it open? Free of
bird nests, whatever? Worth checking, I would think.

There is no real vent for the toilet, but I can't see that preventing a good
flush. The line is vented with a 1.5" vent that is away from the toilet
line. As a test, I could open two ports that I use to dump the RV. They
will vent the septic tank.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 20, 10:15�am, Joe wrote:
On Jun 19, 9:52�pm, "Dan Listermann" wrote:

snip
The toilet at our camp is not flushing properly.

�snip

There is no real vent for the toilet,
snip

Bingo!

Joe

not necessarily.......

I had a unvented toilet that flushed fine, but occasionaly the toilet
would go dry, the water in the trap would get sucked out
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joe" wrote in message
On Jun 19, 9:52 pm, "Dan Listermann" wrote:

snip

The toilet at our camp is not flushing properly.

snip

There is no real vent for the toilet,

snip

Bingo!

The "vent" was the problem. I found that I could turn the problem on and
off by opening a port that I use to drain the RV. It seems that the septic
system is fairly tight and the toilet needs to "burp" to form the siphon.
The "venting" is supposed to be through the kitchen's drain line but it had
a sag in it and evidently plugged. I got the line level and am using enzyme
stuff to try to clear the sediment; a plumber's snake with a hose did not
work. If this still does not perform, I guess I will have to rig a better
vent.

Thanks for your help!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jun 22, 9:08*am, "Dan Listermann" wrote:
"Joe" wrote in message

On Jun 19, 9:52 pm, "Dan Listermann" wrote:

snip
The toilet at our camp is not flushing properly.
snip
There is no real vent for the toilet,
snip

Bingo!

The "vent" was the problem. *I found that I could turn the problem on and
off by opening a port that I use to drain the RV. *It seems that the septic
system is fairly tight and the toilet needs to "burp" to form the siphon.
The "venting" is supposed to be through the kitchen's drain line but it had
a sag in it and evidently plugged. *I got the line level and am using enzyme
stuff to try to clear the sediment; a plumber's snake with a hose did not
work. *If this still does not perform, I guess I will have to rig a better
vent.

*Thanks for your help!

Speaking for all who made suggestions, "You're welcome"

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joe" wrote in message

[...]

It is increasingly clear that I will need to make a vent near the toilet.
Any advice about putting a stack through a rolled roof?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joe" wrote in message

[...]

Any advice about putting a stack through a rolled roof?- Hide quoted
text -

how about a indoor vent? what are they called?

It has to burp out. As far as I know, all indoor vents go in.