Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Installing Motion Sensor Floor Light

I have a tool shed at our cabin which has been broken into twice.

There is an alarm to scare off folks after they break in, and that has
been successful, but I would like to add a motion sensor flood light,
and also perhaps a fake security camera, in order to warn people off
before they break up the door.

Problem: there is a tree overhead with branches which move in the wind.
I have trimmed the tree up to about 12 feet.

Can I focus the range of the motion sensor so that the moving branches
do not set it off?

Thank you very much in advance.

Dwight Gibb
Posted to alt.home.repair

Can I focus the range of the motion sensor so that the moving branches
do not set it off?

With some models, yes. You need to check the specs re range and angle.
I used one like this
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=3511792
and was able to "aim" it so it only came on for motion in a small area.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dwight wrote:
I have a tool shed at our cabin which has been broken into twice.

There is an alarm to scare off folks after they break in, and that has
been successful, but I would like to add a motion sensor flood light,
and also perhaps a fake security camera, in order to warn people off
before they break up the door.

Problem: there is a tree overhead with branches which move in the wind.
I have trimmed the tree up to about 12 feet.

Can I focus the range of the motion sensor so that the moving branches
do not set it off?

Thank you very much in advance.

Dwight Gibb

Hi,
Some has gain adjustment.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dwight" wrote in message
m...
I have a tool shed at our cabin which has been broken into twice.

There is an alarm to scare off folks after they break in, and that has
been successful, but I would like to add a motion sensor flood light, and
also perhaps a fake security camera, in order to warn people off before
they break up the door.

Problem: there is a tree overhead with branches which move in the wind. I
have trimmed the tree up to about 12 feet.

Can I focus the range of the motion sensor so that the moving branches do
not set it off?

Thank you very much in advance.

Dwight Gibb

*You can aim the sensor according to your needs and some of the better
models have a sensitivity adjustment. It is also possible to mount a motion
sensor remotely from the lights being controlled.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 31, 10:06*pm, Dwight wrote:
I have a tool shed at our cabin which has been broken into twice.

There is an alarm to scare off folks after they break in, and that has
been successful, but I would like to add a motion sensor flood light,
and also perhaps a fake security camera, in order to warn people off
before they break up the door.

Problem: there is a tree overhead with branches which move in the wind.
I have trimmed the tree up to about 12 feet.

Can I focus the range of the motion sensor so that the moving branches
do not set it off?

Thank you very much in advance.

Dwight Gibb

X10 has wireless sensors and motion sensors that can be made to turn
on multiple lights. Have wireless sensors low under branches or on the
shed turning on how ever many lights you want. I use them, as an
example one sensor in my garage turns on lights in garage, outside
garage, on house and in house , all wirelessly. Set it up so a theif
gets hit with alot of light from many areas. X10 wireless sensors are
about half the size of a pack of cigarettes, so they are not seen
easily.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ransley" wrote in message
[...]

*You reminded me that Leviton has wireless motion sensors also.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 31, 11:06*pm, Dwight wrote:
I have a tool shed at our cabin which has been broken into twice.

There is an alarm to scare off folks after they break in, and that has
been successful, but I would like to add a motion sensor flood light,
and also perhaps a fake security camera, in order to warn people off
before they break up the door.

How about a bear trap inside?

A poster mentioned X10. They make some pretty good stuff on the cheap.
Well worth looking into. X10.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 1, 7:52*am, "John Grabowski" wrote:
"ransley" wrote in message

[...]

*You reminded me that Leviton has wireless motion sensors also.- Hide quoted text -

X 10, Leviton, Smart Home, might be compatible, even 3 button car
remotes and GMs can control X10, so you can turn on the coffee maker
from your car if you want.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"ransley" wrote in message

X 10, Leviton, Smart Home, might be compatible, even 3 button car
remotes and GMs can control X10, so you can turn on the coffee maker
from your car if you want.

I've set the sensor for my detached shop to turn on 2 floodlights and to
sound a 120 db warble siren. The system can be controlled from the house or
shop.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dwight wrote:
I have a tool shed at our cabin which has been broken into twice.

There is an alarm to scare off folks after they break in, and that has
been successful, but I would like to add a motion sensor flood light,
and also perhaps a fake security camera, in order to warn people off
before they break up the door.

Problem: there is a tree overhead with branches which move in the
wind. I have trimmed the tree up to about 12 feet.

Can I focus the range of the motion sensor so that the moving branches
do not set it off?

Thank you very much in advance.

Most of these sensors sense changes in heat, not real motion. Branches moving at
night should not affect them significantly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dwight" wrote in message
m...
I have a tool shed at our cabin which has been broken into twice.

There is an alarm to scare off folks after they break in, and that has
been successful, but I would like to add a motion sensor flood light, and
also perhaps a fake security camera, in order to warn people off before
they break up the door.

Problem: there is a tree overhead with branches which move in the wind. I
have trimmed the tree up to about 12 feet.

Can I focus the range of the motion sensor so that the moving branches do
not set it off?

Thank you very much in advance.

Dwight Gibb

Many years ago when I regularly traveled to a rural part of South Carolina,
I used to stop at the convenience store at the interstate exit that had a
sign on the door that said:

Fair Warning to burglars. Man with shotgun sleeps in store three nights a
week.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dwight wrote:
I have a tool shed at our cabin which has been broken into twice.

There is an alarm to scare off folks after they break in, and that has
been successful, but I would like to add a motion sensor flood light,
and also perhaps a fake security camera, in order to warn people off
before they break up the door.

Problem: there is a tree overhead with branches which move in the wind.
I have trimmed the tree up to about 12 feet.

Can I focus the range of the motion sensor so that the moving branches
do not set it off?

Thank you very much in advance.

Dwight Gibb

I put one together for a friend some years ago.
I used a standard motion sensor flood light and
hooked a 120 volt AC Edwards fire horn to it.
The trees around it didn't seem to cause any
problems. The motion detector was a PIR (Passive
Infrared) that detects warm objects moving through
it's field of view. It did scare off several
undesirables, in fact, there was blood and torn
clothing on the barbwire fence.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

"William Munny" wrote in message

Fair Warning to burglars. Man with shotgun sleeps in store three nights a
week.

On my shop and house doors:
By the time you read this you have been photographed and videotaped.

Best I've ever seen:
Pero Malo - Bad Dog
Muted Rottweiler

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 31, 8:06*pm, Dwight wrote:
I have a tool shed at our cabin which has been broken into twice.

There is an alarm to scare off folks after they break in, and that has
been successful, but I would like to add a motion sensor flood light,
and also perhaps a fake security camera, in order to warn people off
before they break up the door.

Problem: there is a tree overhead with branches which move in the wind.
I have trimmed the tree up to about 12 feet.

Can I focus the range of the motion sensor so that the moving branches
do not set it off?

Thank you very much in advance.

Dwight Gibb

Tree limbs CAN set off infrared sensors. The limbs may have a
different IR signature than other objects in the background, and
motion can set off the sensors, depending on how sensitive it is.

If you can't aim the sensor away, you can use electricians tape in the
color of your choice to blind portions of the sensor as needed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dwight" wrote in message
m...

Can I focus the range of the motion sensor so that the moving branches do
not set it off?

Thank you very much in advance.

Dwight Gibb

You can mask parts of the lens with electrical tape. I don't think trees
would cause much of a problem though. Also keep in mind that motion sensors
are most sensitive to motion -across- their field of view. If you walk
directly towards it, it will have a hard time detecting any change in heat,
especially if it's in the summer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I believe that -passive- infrared detectors (most light switches are
passive) are only triggered by objects emitting heat, such as a person's
body. Active IR detectors emit IR light themselves and might be
triggered by other moving objects.

But in your case, I don't think that the branches will trigger it. But
maybe they might mask movements beneath them... Difficult to tell
without seeing the situation, still there should be line of sight
between the sensor and the person, so no leaves in between.

--
LucKl
Message origin: www.TRAVEL.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

X-10 is good because you can put the motion detectors near ground
level if you want, although they're not 100% reliable.

Which is why you should probably not use them to power a coffee-
maker-- on rare occasions things turn on or off by themselves. Not a
big issue with lights but with things that produce heat it's a
different story.