Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default floodlights with light/motion sensor

I have a pair of two floodlights that go on automatically when it is
dark out and there is animal motin in the back yard.

Two problems. Would a newer model have some way around these
problems?

1) When there is a power failutre, these two big flood lights go on
and stay on. There are power failures here all the time, usually for
only a couple seconds but that is enough. Are there models that would
ignore very short power failures, or at least do so if it is daytime
at the time, or at least turn off the next morning?

2) Often it goes on on a cloudy day, but when there is still
substantial light. I think I adjusted it to not be so sensitive, but
it still happens.

Are there better models than what I have?
Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

The technology is the same in all of them, however some models have more
control over the features. Most units are designed to allow the lights to
stay on by momentarily flipping the wall switch off, then quickly back on. A
momentary power failure simulates this feature, and I don't believe there is
any way around it

"mm" wrote in message
I have a pair of two floodlights that go on automatically when it is
dark out and there is animal motin in the back yard.

Two problems. Would a newer model have some way around these
problems?

1) When there is a power failutre, these two big flood lights go on
and stay on. There are power failures here all the time, usually for
only a couple seconds but that is enough. Are there models that would
ignore very short power failures, or at least do so if it is daytime
at the time, or at least turn off the next morning?

2) Often it goes on on a cloudy day, but when there is still
substantial light. I think I adjusted it to not be so sensitive, but
it still happens.

Are there better models than what I have?

Posted to alt.home.repair
DT DT is offline

The one I installed recently works pretty much like what you want. A momentary
power off/on will turn on the light, but only when it is dark. If you lock it
on during the night, it resets at dawn. Not sure what brand it is, I got it at
Home Depot. Mine is a glass fixture, not a floodlight, but I assume the method
of operation would be the same on other models. You can check the operation
manual before you buy one.

--
Dennis

Posted to alt.home.repair

What you have is a design "feature". It is intended to be used to put the
lights into manual mode. We get lots of quick outages. Tey set he security
lights on and reset the clock on the microwave. My solution was to put an
on/of switch in the line feeding the light and locate it in a convenient
location.

As far as sensitivity goes my old one got to the point it would come on in
erratically. They do wear out and replacement was the only solution. There
are others on the market, but these are from HD and it was a case of price
and availability versus reliability. Mine are mainly to light up the
driveway when we pull in after dark.

Charlie

"mm" wrote in message
I have a pair of two floodlights that go on automatically when it is
dark out and there is animal motin in the back yard.

Two problems. Would a newer model have some way around these
problems?

1) When there is a power failutre, these two big flood lights go on
and stay on. There are power failures here all the time, usually for
only a couple seconds but that is enough. Are there models that would
ignore very short power failures, or at least do so if it is daytime
at the time, or at least turn off the next morning?

2) Often it goes on on a cloudy day, but when there is still
substantial light. I think I adjusted it to not be so sensitive, but
it still happens.

Are there better models than what I have?

Posted to alt.home.repair
sym sym is offline

On Apr 14, 12:13 am, mm wrote:
I have a pair of two floodlights that go on automatically when it is
dark out and there is animal motin in the back yard.

Two problems. Would a newer model have some way around these
problems?

1) When there is a power failutre, these two big flood lights go on
and stay on. There are power failures here all the time, usually for
only a couple seconds but that is enough. Are there models that would
ignore very short power failures, or at least do so if it is daytime
at the time, or at least turn off the next morning?

2) Often it goes on on a cloudy day, but when there is still
substantial light. I think I adjusted it to not be so sensitive, but
it still happens.

Are there better models than what I have?

i think i would be looking onto why the power fails so often. is it
just your place or does it include neighbors who share a transformer?
it is possible you may have a bigger problem than your lites. but they
do make them that supposedly dont nuisance trip from animals, but most
all i believe have the manual override.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 15 Apr 2007 16:22:25 -0700, "sym" wrote:

On Apr 14, 12:13 am, mm wrote:
[...]

It's the whole 8 or 16 houses, or maybe more. When I lived in NYC,
there was only one power failure that I recall, and it made the news
nationwide**. But here there are frequent ones for the entire 24
years I've been here. **The other big failure in NYC was before I got
there. On second thought, it's conceivable there were more but I
didn't have much digital stuff then so I didn't notice.

it is possible you may have a bigger problem than your lites. but they
do make them that supposedly dont nuisance trip from animals, but most
all i believe have the manual override.

I installed a switch with the original install, so I can reset it,
when I know it's on. In the daytime, when I look out the back window,
I can't tell that it is on. And especially in the summer when it's
not dark much, I can go all night without noticing that the lights are
on. Everytime I miss it is another 24 hours.

Mostly I'm going away for 3 weeks and I would like it to go on for
prowlers but not stay on for 3 weeks because of a power failure.

I've read all the answers but I have a cold and aheadache, and can't
answer them individually now. If I can buy something to make it work
better, I will, but otherwise

I think I['ll just turn it off when I'm away. There have only been 2
prowlers in 24 years.

Thanks everyone..
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 12:08:01 -0400, "Charlie Bress"
wrote:

What you have is a design "feature". It is intended to be used to put the
lights into manual mode. We get lots of quick outages. Tey set he security
lights on and reset the clock on the microwave. My solution was to put an
on/of switch in the line feeding the light and locate it in a convenient
location.

I installed the switch with the original install, but the trouble is
it doesn't help if I don't notice that the lights have gone on.

As far as sensitivity goes my old one got to the point it would come on in
erratically. They do wear out and replacement was the only solution. There
are others on the market, but these are from HD and it was a case of price
and availability versus reliability. Mine are mainly to light up the
driveway when we pull in after dark.

So yours face front, or at least face the driveway. Mine face the
back, so I don't see the area most days. I guess we have an equal
problem when we go away for a week.

Charlie

"mm" wrote in message
.. .
I have a pair of two floodlights that go on automatically when it is
dark out and there is animal motin in the back yard.

Two problems. Would a newer model have some way around these
problems?

1) When there is a power failutre, these two big flood lights go on
and stay on. There are power failures here all the time, usually for
only a couple seconds but that is enough. Are there models that would
ignore very short power failures, or at least do so if it is daytime
at the time, or at least turn off the next morning?

2) Often it goes on on a cloudy day, but when there is still
substantial light. I think I adjusted it to not be so sensitive, but
it still happens.

Are there better models than what I have?

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 15:30:06 -0700, jJim McLaughlin
wrote:

If you want to know if there are "better" models than what you have,
at least tell us what models you actually have.

I started a reply, but can't find it now. Turns out not to matter so
much.

Thanks.