Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default floodlights with light/motion sensor

On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 12:08:01 -0400, "Charlie Bress"
wrote:

What you have is a design "feature". It is intended to be used to put the
lights into manual mode. We get lots of quick outages. Tey set he security
lights on and reset the clock on the microwave. My solution was to put an
on/of switch in the line feeding the light and locate it in a convenient
location.

I installed the switch with the original install, but the trouble is
it doesn't help if I don't notice that the lights have gone on.

As far as sensitivity goes my old one got to the point it would come on in
erratically. They do wear out and replacement was the only solution. There
are others on the market, but these are from HD and it was a case of price
and availability versus reliability. Mine are mainly to light up the
driveway when we pull in after dark.

So yours face front, or at least face the driveway. Mine face the
back, so I don't see the area most days. I guess we have an equal
problem when we go away for a week.

Charlie

"mm" wrote in message
.. .
I have a pair of two floodlights that go on automatically when it is
dark out and there is animal motin in the back yard.

Two problems. Would a newer model have some way around these
problems?

1) When there is a power failutre, these two big flood lights go on
and stay on. There are power failures here all the time, usually for
only a couple seconds but that is enough. Are there models that would
ignore very short power failures, or at least do so if it is daytime
at the time, or at least turn off the next morning?

2) Often it goes on on a cloudy day, but when there is still
substantial light. I think I adjusted it to not be so sensitive, but
it still happens.

Are there better models than what I have?