Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Best quick-connect for rope?

I want to make circles of various sizes out of nylon rope to use as
targets for practicing short golf shots. The method I am using calls
for the target circle to have a radius that is 1/10 of the length of
the shot. If I am practicing 10-yard chip shots, I would need a target
circle with a radius of 1 yard. For 30-yard pitch shots, I'd need a
target circle with a radius of 3 yards.

I would like to make up a bunch of lengths of rope that are each 2-pi
yards long (about 6' 4") with some type of "connector" on the ends so
that I could connect as many as I need to make targets with radii of
1, 2, 3, ... yards.

I have thought of several solutions, but they all have problems. Can
anyone suggest another approach?

Here's what I've considered:

1. Make each length a bit longer and simply tie them together using a
square knot. This is probably the method I will use since it is simple
and easy to use. The only disadvantage is that it is not as quick as
using some sort of locking hook.

2. Make a small loop in one end and put a knot in the other. Connect
the sections by pushing the knotted end through the loop. This is a
simple solution and is a bit quicker than the square knot. The
resulting circle is not as smooth.

3. Make a loop in one end and attach a locking snap connector to the
other end. This would be a little quicker than the previous solution
and would make a smoother circle, but it requires hardware.

4. Overlap the ends and secure them with velcro tape or some sort of
clamp. This is probably more trouble than it is worth.

I only need 5-6 targets, so I could just make each one from a single
piece of rope and permanently connect the ends, but having the 2-pi
lengths provides more flexibility and the connectors make it easy to
"read" the size of the circle at a glance.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 20, 11:57*am, Square Peg wrote:
[...]

Why do you need the rope to be the exact length? You're learning
golf, not geometry. Use a length of rope that is as long as necessary
for the biggest target circle. For smaller target circles just
overlap the rope. You can paint colored marks on the rope or use tape
to indicate the appropriate length rope to use for a particular target
size.

The target does not have to be perfectly circular, either. Oval would
be better for a number of reasons. Generally you're looking to avoid
constraints that are either lateral or linear. If you can hit the
target more accurately in the more important direction, a little
leeway in the other direction is usually acceptable.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Apr 20, 10:57*am, Square Peg wrote:
[...]

5. Splice the rope ends together. Any Eagle Scout, sailboat owner,
farmer, oil rig roughneck, or rancher can show you how. There may even
be a few Navy people that know how. It's surprisingly easy to do, and
a good trick to have when you don't want tp make a long trip to the
store to replace a broken rope. Around here, I always splice a loop in
the end of a new rope as a handy way to cinch a load of stuff to drag
to another location or whatever. Plus it keeps the rope from fraying.
HTH

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
Joe wrote:

5. Splice the rope ends together. Any Eagle Scout, sailboat owner,
farmer, oil rig roughneck, or rancher can show you how. There may even
be a few Navy people that know how. It's surprisingly easy to do, and
a good trick to have when you don't want tp make a long trip to the
store to replace a broken rope. Around here, I always splice a loop in
the end of a new rope as a handy way to cinch a load of stuff to drag
to another location or whatever. Plus it keeps the rope from fraying.
HTH

Joe

"Splice" and "quick connect" are not synonymous, Joe.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 13:46:18 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

"Square Peg" wrote in message
.. .
I want to make circles of various sizes out of nylon rope to use as
targets for practicing short golf shots. The method I am using calls
for the target circle to have a radius that is 1/10 of the length of
the shot. If I am practicing 10-yard chip shots, I would need a target
circle with a radius of 1 yard. For 30-yard pitch shots, I'd need a
target circle with a radius of 3 yards.

Why not put a small loop in one end and thread the other end through it.
Then if you mark the rope you just pull through to you get the distance you
want.

That's brilliant!!! Brilliant, I tell you. ;-)

This has the added advantage of providing for intermediate sizes.

The extra rope can be laid alongside the circle. If the extra rope
creates too much clutter, I can make 2-3 sizes.

Thank you very much.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 20, 11:25*am, Square Peg wrote:
On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 13:46:18 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"

wrote:

"Square Peg" wrote in message
.. .
I want to make circles of various sizes out of nylon rope to use as
targets for practicing short golf shots. The method I am using calls
for the target circle to have a radius that is 1/10 of the length of
the shot. If I am practicing 10-yard chip shots, I would need a target
circle with a radius of 1 yard. For 30-yard pitch shots, I'd need a
target circle with a radius of 3 yards.

Why not put a small loop in one end and thread the other end through it.
Then if you mark the rope you just pull through to you get the distance you
want.

That's brilliant!!! Brilliant, I tell you. ;-)

This has the added advantage of providing for intermediate sizes.

The extra rope can be laid alongside the circle. If the extra rope
creates too much clutter, I can make 2-3 sizes.

Thank you very much.

For your small loop, you can use a reduced-coil hangman's noose:

http://www.geocities.com/roo_two/hangmansnoose.html

It'll allow easy adjustment of how snug the loop is.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Why not put a small loop in one end and thread the other end through it.

Then if you mark the rope you just pull through to you get the distance
you
want.

That's brilliant!!! Brilliant, I tell you. ;-)

This has the added advantage of providing for intermediate sizes.

The extra rope can be laid alongside the circle. If the extra rope
creates too much clutter, I can make 2-3 sizes.

Thank you very much.

Glad that helped. Sometimes throwing out a question to the groups will give
an answer that you would never have thought of. YOu may have to sort
through a bunch of ideas, but one may be just the thing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 13:46:36 -0700 (PDT), mike
wrote:

On Apr 20, 11:25*am, Square Peg wrote:
On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 13:46:18 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"

wrote:

"Square Peg" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Good suggestion. I was just going to make a permanent fixed loop with
plenty of room for the other end. I hadn't decided how to secure the
loose end (velcro, piece of string, clamp, nothing, ???). It doesn't
need to be tight as it won't have any force on it.

I'll probably experiment a little.

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 16:21:50 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:
Why not put a small loop in one end and thread the other end through it.
Then if you mark the rope you just pull through to you get the distance
you
want.

That's brilliant!!! Brilliant, I tell you. ;-)

This has the added advantage of providing for intermediate sizes.

The extra rope can be laid alongside the circle. If the extra rope
creates too much clutter, I can make 2-3 sizes.

Thank you very much.

Glad that helped. Sometimes throwing out a question to the groups will give
an answer that you would never have thought of. YOu may have to sort
through a bunch of ideas, but one may be just the thing.

Quite right. This time, it seems to have struck pay dirt.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Apr 20, 12:25*pm, Smitty Two wrote:

"Splice" and "quick connect" are not synonymous, Joe.

You are quite right. I was considering the neat way of making
permanent rope rings. An 8' spliced ring could be doubled on itself to
make a 4', so with maybe four different larger sizes eight targets are
possible...no fuzz, no fray, and it all fits in the trunk. How about
that?

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 20, 5:38*pm, Square Peg wrote:

Good suggestion. I was just going to make a permanent fixed loop with
plenty of room for the other end. I hadn't decided how to secure the
loose end (velcro, piece of string, clamp, nothing, ???). It doesn't
need to be tight as it won't have any force on it.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but how does it matter if the ends
are loose, if the circle is perfectly round, if the circle is
_exactly_ five feet in diameter (or whatever)? Are you that good that
if the rope is off by three inches it will make a difference? How
does it improve anything by having a perfectly round circle of totally
arbitrary diameter as your target?

Oh, sorry, I just noticed your screen name...never mind.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Square Peg wrote:

4. Overlap the ends and secure them with velcro tape or some sort of
clamp. This is probably more trouble than it is worth.

Two rubber bands. Put one around one end and keep doubling it until
it's nearly tight. If you expect a 10" overlap, slide it 9" from the
end. Apply the other rubber band to the other end and slide back 9".

Then tuck each end of the rope under the rubber band that was put around
the other end. The loop will lie flat, can be shaped as you wish, and
can be adjusted quickly and precisely.

3-pt quick-connect dpb Home Repair 13 April 21st 09 08:05 PM
outdoor faucet/hose/quick connect question... Larry Dawson Home Repair 5 July 30th 08 07:37 PM
Troubleshooting Natural Gas Grill Quick Connect Java [email protected] Home Repair 2 August 30th 07 03:44 AM
Where to find quick connect dust collection fitting. alex Woodworking 3 August 7th 07 11:23 PM
Pneumatic Quick-Connect Hose Coupling Differences? DeepDiver Metalworking 4 September 11th 05 03:35 PM