Posted to alt.home.repair

Default outdoor faucet/hose/quick connect question...

I've used the plastic quick connect couplers on the front and back
hoses for years. Over time they'd degrade and break or crack so early
Spring of 07, I replaced both hoses with longer ones and all the
plastic couplers/adapters with brass ones (that was a bit of an
investment I tell you, especially considering my wife's collection of
nozzles and sprinklers.) Put a good rubber Craftsman hose on the front
faucet and what I thought was a good industrial hose from Sam's on the
back. No problems with the front set up, but the back gave us fits with
water pressure. Sometimes we'd have a good flow, sometimes not, and it
usually flucuated during any watering session. If you'd pop the nozzle
off and reseat it the pressure usually came back. Needless to say this
made watering a pain, but we got used to it. This trick didn't work
with a set sprinkler so my wife would end up doing a lot of the garden
by hand or many sessions of moving the sprinkler. Last week she came in
really riled up, there was no pressure at all. I checked indoor facets
and the front outdoor one, all was fine so no problems with the water
main. I was scratching my head when it dawned on me that the one thing
I never checked was the brass couplers on the back hose and nozzles.
Removed them and did we have water pressure! So much that my wife
complained that nonadjustable nozzle was beating up her plants. I
swapped nozzles and she was happy. She put on the new fancy garden
sprinkler she bought last year that never worked for her and it worked
beautifully. So my question is, what's going on? The new rubber hose
with brass couplers works fine in the front, but the 'Sam's' hose in
the back doesn't. The house was built in 1949 and as far as I know
still has the original plumbing to the outside faucets. While we're
staying away from the brass couplers in the back (gad, I could have
bought some cool toys/gadgets for what I dumped on them...) I'd
appreciate anyone's explanation.
Thanks,
Larry
Larry Dawson**http://web.mac.com/capnlarry

"I don't know whether it's a virtue or a vice in me, but regularly
rereading favorite books has always been one of the quasi-
religious ceremonies with which I occupy my life."
Fritz Leiber

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article 2008072920304816807-ldawson@macosxcom,
Larry Dawson wrote:

[...]

ARRGGGHHH. How can anyone even look at your post without getting vertigo
and a headache? Use some paragraphs, for god's sake.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 20:30:48 -0500, Larry Dawson
wrote:

long story of woe with hoses snipped

You have a working setup in front and non-working setup in back.
Should be simple enough to swap one part at a time from front to back
and back to front. When the problem follows the swap, you know the
culprit.

It could be that one of the brass couplings isn't fully engaging,
limiting flow sometimes. Or it could be some weird defect in the hose
that is temperature dependent even...ok when hose is hot in sun, not
ok otherwise...

Did you buy all the brass fittings at the same time/place? I've found
that they are not usually interchangeable between brands. Look at them
closely to make sure they are all the same.

HTH,

Paul F.
Posted to alt.home.repair

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=*-=
Larry Dawson**http://web.mac.com/capnlarry

"I don't know whether it's a virtue or a vice in me, but regularly
rereading favorite books has always been one of the quasi-
religious ceremonies with which I occupy my life."
* * * * Fritz Leiber

The female couplers that you talk about with the auto shutoff don't
work very well. Even with the male part plugged in the flow is less
than optimum. You can verify this yourself by timing how long it
takes to fill a bucket with and without them.

I replaced mine with the ones that don't shutoff when unplugged.
Posted to alt.home.repair

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=��-=
Larry Dawson��http://web.mac.com/capnlarry

"I don't know whether it's a virtue or a vice in me, but regularly
rereading favorite books has always been one of the quasi-
religious ceremonies with which I occupy my life."
� � � � Fritz Leiber

The female couplers that you talk about with the auto shutoff don't
work very well. �Even with the male part plugged in the flow is less
than optimum. �You can verify this yourself by timing how long it
takes to fill a bucket with and without them.

I replaced mine with the ones that don't shutoff when unplugged.- Hide quoted text -

yeah I tried those quick disconnects too and tossed them. low flow was
the norm.

its easier to always leave my hoses connected....

Posted to alt.home.repair

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=* -=
Larry Dawsonhttp://web.mac.com/capnlarry

"I don't know whether it's a virtue or a vice in me, but regularly
rereading favorite books has always been one of the quasi-
religious ceremonies with which I occupy my life."
Fritz Leiber

The female couplers that you talk about with the auto shutoff don't
work very well. Even with the male part plugged in the flow is less
than optimum. You can verify this yourself by timing how long it
takes to fill a bucket with and without them.

I replaced mine with the ones that don't shutoff when unplugged.- Hide quoted text -

yeah I tried those quick disconnects too and tossed them. low flow was
the norm.

its easier to always leave my hoses connected....

My experience has been only the quick connects that auto shutoff when
unplugged have low flow. The 'cheaper' ones that are just a connector
work great.