DeepDiver

Default Pneumatic Quick-Connect Hose Coupling Differences?

There are two fairly common pneumatic quick-connect couplings (as well as a
number of others): Industrial and Automotive. Besides ensuring compatibility
between male and female couplings, are there any advantages to favor one
style over the other. For example, does one type typically flow more air
than the other?

TIA,
Michael

Grant Erwin

DeepDiver wrote:
There are two fairly common pneumatic quick-connect couplings (as well as a
number of others): Industrial and Automotive. Besides ensuring compatibility
between male and female couplings, are there any advantages to favor one
style over the other. For example, does one type typically flow more air
than the other?

Buy the kind that the guy you borrow his air tools uses!

Seriously, if you're talking automotive vs. industrial, I don't think there's
any difference in flow resistance, both are pretty lousy. For full flow you need
Chicago style couplers, but I don't think they make those for little air hose
like 3/8".

Grant
B.B.

In article ,
"DeepDiver" wrote:

There are two fairly common pneumatic quick-connect couplings (as well as a
number of others): Industrial and Automotive. Besides ensuring compatibility
between male and female couplings, are there any advantages to favor one
style over the other. For example, does one type typically flow more air
than the other?

TIA,
Michael

If you get into the 3/8 size couplings (or really high pressures, or
both) the automotive type is much harder to connect because it's more
sensitive to alignment of the parts when you plug 'em together. That
can be offset by getting a good coupler rather than a cheap one, but if
you spend the same amount on both kinds, industrial is better.
In 1/4 size it's less of a factor. Then it's just a matter of what
you personally prefer or what's already in the system you plan to
connect to. In my experience, industrial is more common anyway, so it
wins that contest as well.
Most people wind up with a small collection of adapters. The cheap
way is to screw a male and female part together, but then when you use
it you wind up with about a foot of rigid junk sticking out of the base
of your tool. (damn, that sounds dirty) If you need an adapter try to
get a short length of hose, so all the excess hardware is away from your
tool and not getting in the way. Better yet, if you bring your own long
hose with you, stick the adapter at the end that plugs into the wall or
pipe and avoid the problem altogether.

movies.crooksandliars.com/Countdown-Timeline-Katrina.mov

DeepDiver wrote:
There are two fairly common pneumatic quick-connect couplings (as well as a
number of others): Industrial and Automotive. Besides ensuring compatibility
between male and female couplings, are there any advantages to favor one
style over the other. For example, does one type typically flow more air
than the other?

TIA,
Michael

Michael--I can't speak to flow, as I use all sizes, but the best way to
go from an interchangability point of view is to get one of those
universal female connectors--that way you can use all sizes and not
have to mess around with adaptors.
Al, www.used-tools.com

DanG

For home shop use, just stay compatible within your own system.
As Grant said, it wouldn't hurt to stay compatible with neighbors
or friends. If you really want to worry about full flow fittings,
check at a commercial paint store. Here are some:
http://www.homesteadfinishing.com/ht...ccessories.htm
make sure to scroll down to "fittings" hi-flo

(top posted for your convenience)
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)