Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default Best quick-connect for rope?

On Apr 20, 10:57*am, Square Peg wrote:
I want to make circles of various sizes out of nylon rope to use as
targets for practicing short golf shots. The method I am using calls
for the target circle to have a radius that is 1/10 of the length of
the shot. If I am practicing 10-yard chip shots, I would need a target
circle with a radius of 1 yard. For 30-yard pitch shots, I'd need a
target circle with a radius of 3 yards.

I would like to make up a bunch of lengths of rope that are each 2-pi
yards long (about 6' 4") with some type of "connector" on the ends so
that I could connect as many as I need to make targets with radii of
1, 2, 3, ... yards.

I have thought of several solutions, but they all have problems. Can
anyone suggest another approach?

Here's what I've considered:

1. Make each length a bit longer and simply tie them together using a
square knot. This is probably the method I will use since it is simple
and easy to use. The only disadvantage is that it is not as quick as
using some sort of locking hook.

2. Make a small loop in one end and put a knot in the other. Connect
the sections by pushing the knotted end through the loop. This is a
simple solution and is a bit quicker than the square knot. The
resulting circle is not as smooth.

3. Make a loop in one end and attach a locking snap connector to the
other end. This would be a little quicker than the previous solution
and would make a smoother circle, but it requires hardware.

4. Overlap the ends and secure them with velcro tape or some sort of
clamp. This is probably more trouble than it is worth.

I only need 5-6 targets, so I could just make each one from a single
piece of rope and permanently connect the ends, but having the 2-pi
lengths provides more flexibility and the connectors make it easy to
"read" the size of the circle at a glance.

5. Splice the rope ends together. Any Eagle Scout, sailboat owner,
farmer, oil rig roughneck, or rancher can show you how. There may even
be a few Navy people that know how. It's surprisingly easy to do, and
a good trick to have when you don't want tp make a long trip to the
store to replace a broken rope. Around here, I always splice a loop in
the end of a new rope as a handy way to cinch a load of stuff to drag
to another location or whatever. Plus it keeps the rope from fraying.
HTH

Joe