Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Whirlpool washing machine model WTW5310VQ0 or WTW5300VW2.

Do not move the washing machine until you open the top of the box and
check the following:

The Valve, Water Inlet W/Thermistor & Vacuum Break (valve body, valve
manifold, valve assembly) part #: W10144820 may be missing its
mounting screw. The valve incorporates the hot and cold inlets that
stick out from the center of the back of the unit just below the
control panel. This mounting screw is located between the hot and cold
inlets and secures the valve to the rear panel from the back along
with four plastic tabs that are also a part of the valve body. You
should see a small screw head when you look at the back of the unit
between the hot and cold inlets which are clearly visible. If this
screw is missing do not move the unit. The four plastic tabs may not
be enough to keep the valve braced against the rear panel. If the
valve becomes loose it may break as well as causing the tub ring part
#: W10168523 to break.

If you buy this model or any other make or model of washing machine:
What to check when you buy a washing machine:
What to look for when you buy a washing machine:

Make sure that the basket (tub, drum) is braced in some way and is not
freely moving, on top loading machines, back and forth or from side to
side. Usually you will find that it is secured at the factory by a
Styrofoam or cardboard packing material. Make sure this packing
material is securely in place and braced. Some models may have bolts
that are removed after moving that serve the same purpose. If you move
any brand and make of washing machine where the tub is loose it may be
damaged during transportation.

Make sure to tape the top of the box back-up after inspection to keep
the box from getting damaged during moving.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Molly Brown" wrote in message

If you buy this model or any other make or model of washing machine:
What to check when you buy a washing machine:
What to look for when you buy a washing machine:

I don't check anything. My local appliance dealer does all of that,
delivers, hooks up, and tests it for me. Why should I do his job?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"I don't check anything. My local appliance dealer does all of that,
delivers, hooks up, and tests it for me. Why should I do his job?"

1. Then what are you doing on this blog? This is generally for people
who want to do it themselves.
2. I hope you never have to move (change residence) or maybe you can
afford to buy a new washing machine every time you move.
3. This information is for everyone including appliance dealers who
may not know enough or care to check for a mounting screw on a valve
especially since manufacturers are always changing their design.
4. I’m glad you found an appliance dealer you can trust so much.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Molly Brown wrote in news:48bac296-088e-4390-
:

[...]

Why in the world would you buy a piece of **** that needs all that?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"I don't check anything. My local appliance dealer does all of that,
delivers, hooks up, and tests it for me. Why should I do his job?"

1. Then what are you doing on this blog? This is generally for people
who want to do it themselves.

It is also about helping people do things, such as finding a reputable
appliance dealer that does what he is supposed to do. Perhaps you'd rahter
save $5 buying from the big bos store and havingyour appliace dripped in the
back of the pickup, but the local deler is price competitive and usually
offers better service, delivery, and installation.

2. I hope you never have to move (change residence) or maybe you can
afford to buy a new washing machine every time you move.

That is exactly what I did, 28 years ago. Washer since replaced, dryer
still running. Next move will probably bo to a nursing home.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue 31 Mar 2009 09:38:30p, Molly Brown told us...

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"I don't check anything. My local appliance dealer does all of that,
delivers, hooks up, and tests it for me. Why should I do his job?"

1. Then what are you doing on this blog? This is generally for people
who want to do it themselves.
2. I hope you never have to move (change residence) or maybe you can
afford to buy a new washing machine every time you move.

We bought a Kenmore washer and dryer from Sears 13 years ago. Since that
time we have moved it cross country and into 4 different homes, including
our present home. Neither unit has required service of any kind. If you
know what you're buying, you don't need to rely on anyone unless it just
happens to be a lemon.

--
Wayne Boatwright

"One man's meat is another man's poison"
- Oswald Dykes, English writer, 1709.