Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron G

Default Musty Whirlpool Washing Machine

Hi--
I have a horribly musty Whirlpool Washing Machine, a top loader.

Best But service person will no longer clean out all the fibers caught
somewhere in the top inside.
They say Whirlpool will not cover it anymore.
I'm getting at my wits end, it stinks up our one-level home.

Don't know if I actually even believe Best Buy. The service person has
come up with truly amazing answers to other problems, over the last 5 years

Like (Washer Faulty top door switch intermittent)
Best Buy servicepersons analysis: It's a problem in the house
wiring, get the house wiring replaced!
(She refused to order the switch, so I ordered it myself, then
she was mad because she had to install it)

Like a faulty Washer control timer:
(Same) Best Buy servicepersons analysis: It's a problem in the house
wiring, get the house wiring replaced!
(Later she angrily replaced the timer control)

Like the (dryer) door light going on and off at random:
( I thought it was the door switch)
But, Best Buy (Same) servicepersons analysis: It's a problem in the
house wiring, get the house wiring replaced!
( I later found out myself that the light bulb had a broken
filament, so I solved it with a 65 cent new bulb from Ace)

Don't know if I actually even believe Best Buy Servicepeople. So, I'm
being told that they will not service the washer to get rid of the stink. We
leave the lid open, but no help. She used to clean all sorts of stinking
fiber junk out of the Washer, but no more.

She advises us (again) to buy a front loading washer, as they never
build up fibers that stink and rot. Plus she ads that no one sells top

I am partially diasbled, and cannot pull the washer out and get down on the
floor to take out screws, etc. Gone are the old days when I did absolutely
all repairs around our home. But no real complaints, I'm kickin' , just in a
different way. Real light hobbies.
"Change is inevitable, adaptation is optional" :-)

Thanks for any replies
Best to you---
Ron

Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

if the lint fibers are built up between the inner perforated tub which
holds clothes and the outer water holding tub, you'll want to bleach
them. if you have a plastic instead of stainless tub it may seem to
hold more odors. turn on an exhaust fan and follow washer instructions,
run a full load of water, agitate to mix in the bleach, and let it
soak.

see also:
http://fixitnow.com/wp/2003/09/02/ma...washer-stinks/

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom

"buffalobill" wrote in message
oups.com...
if the lint fibers are built up between the inner perforated tub which
holds clothes and the outer water holding tub, you'll want to bleach
them. if you have a plastic instead of stainless tub it may seem to
hold more odors. turn on an exhaust fan and follow washer instructions,
run a full load of water, agitate to mix in the bleach, and let it
soak.

see also:
http://fixitnow.com/wp/2003/09/02/ma...washer-stinks/

The bleach is an excellent suggestion and to keep the soap scum from forming
a soap ring in the outer tub, add a cup or so of white vinegar to the rinse
cycle when you wash your towels. This will keep the towels from getting
scratchy plus cut that soap scum which is where the mildew is probably
growing and causing the stink. Unlike the bleach, it isn't a good idea to
let the vinegar sit and soak in the machine as it is slightly acidic and can
etch the glaze on the porcelain tub. You already said you leave the lid
open and that is also a help in keeping mildew from growing.

Tom G.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Mon, 2 Jan 2006 21:10:36 -0600, "Ron G" wrote:

[...]

I think she likes you. Have you tried pulling her pigtails?

Like the (dryer) door light going on and off at random:
( I thought it was the door switch)
But, Best Buy (Same) servicepersons analysis: It's a problem in the
house wiring, get the house wiring replaced!
( I later found out myself that the light bulb had a broken
filament, so I solved it with a 65 cent new bulb from Ace)

Don't know if I actually even believe Best Buy Servicepeople. So, I'm
being told that they will not service the washer to get rid of the stink. We
leave the lid open, but no help. She used to clean all sorts of stinking
fiber junk out of the Washer, but no more.

Well it is sort of strange that you have fiber junk in the washer.
I've never had that. I have a Kemore, built by Whirlpool I think, and
it has a lint chopper, no filter, but I've had other machines and they
never stank, or had fiber junk Can you identify the fiber?

Is the fiber the cause of the smell?

She advises us (again) to buy a front loading washer, as they never
build up fibers that stink and rot. Plus she ads that no one sells top

That would be a shame. It means I'll have to buy second hand. For
one thing, I like the ability to add clothes after it has started. I
usually forget things.

I am partially diasbled, and cannot pull the washer out and get down on the
floor to take out screws, etc. Gone are the old days when I did absolutely
all repairs around our home. But no real complaints, I'm kickin' , just in a
different way. Real light hobbies.
"Change is inevitable, adaptation is optional" :-)

Thanks for any replies
Best to you---
Ron

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.
Posted to alt.home.repair
HarryS

Do not mix bleach and vinegar. If you try the bleach method, be sure all of
the bleach is rinsed out of the tub if you then try the vinegar method.
Alternately, if you try vinegar first, make sure it's rinsed out completely
if you then try bleach. Mixing vinegar and bleach can release dangerous
amounts of chlorine gas, especially in these quantities.

"Tom" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom

"HarryS" wrote in message
Do not mix bleach and vinegar. If you try the bleach method, be sure all
of the bleach is rinsed out of the tub if you then try the vinegar method.
Alternately, if you try vinegar first, make sure it's rinsed out
completely if you then try bleach. Mixing vinegar and bleach can release
dangerous amounts of chlorine gas, especially in these quantities.

Is that right...I had heard that you don't dare mix bleach and ammonia but I
had never heard of the problem with bleach and vinegar.

Tom G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ron G wrote:

She advises us (again) to buy a front loading washer, as they never
build up fibers that stink and rot. Plus she ads that no one sells top

don't know about the current batch, but the original Maytag
front-loader Neptunes, even after the factory authorized retrofit of a
different door gasket, are major mildew breeders because they never
drain and dry the door gaskets completely. I mean, really repulsive,
even with periodic bleaching and all. So dont believe your salescritter.

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Just pour in a gallon of bleach and run an empty load at minimum water
setting, it will kill the mold.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Does your machine have a lint filter ring at the top of the machine ?

If so are you cleaning it after every wash ?

Since you seem to have had a series of problems with the machine I
would contact the manufacturer and get a different service person to
have a look at it.

I would also write to the store and let them know of the problems with
their service person.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art

We have the fix and there is no mildew whatsoever after it. By the way, I
examined the removed components when the fixed were done and the mildew
problem was pretty much all up front and easily cleaned. We never
considered it much of a problem.... we just kept the low part of the rubber
seal clean and dry after laundry.

"z" wrote in message
oups.com...

Ron G wrote:

She advises us (again) to buy a front loading washer, as they never
build up fibers that stink and rot. Plus she ads that no one sells top
think.

don't know about the current batch, but the original Maytag
front-loader Neptunes, even after the factory authorized retrofit of a
different door gasket, are major mildew breeders because they never
drain and dry the door gaskets completely. I mean, really repulsive,
even with periodic bleaching and all. So dont believe your salescritter.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 00:48:16 GMT, "Art"
wrote:

We have the fix and there is no mildew whatsoever after it. By the way, I
examined the removed components when the fixed were done and the mildew
problem was pretty much all up front and easily cleaned. We never
considered it much of a problem.... we just kept the low part of the rubber
seal clean and dry after laundry.

Did people who had this problem leave the door ajar when the washer
wasn't in use?

I don't do that for my top loader or for my dishwasher, but would have
made a difference in this case, without doing the fix?

"z" wrote in message
roups.com...

Ron G wrote:

She advises us (again) to buy a front loading washer, as they never
build up fibers that stink and rot. Plus she ads that no one sells top
think.

don't know about the current batch, but the original Maytag
front-loader Neptunes, even after the factory authorized retrofit of a
different door gasket, are major mildew breeders because they never
drain and dry the door gaskets completely. I mean, really repulsive,
even with periodic bleaching and all. So dont believe your salescritter.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Art

The Maytag front loader had a lite so you really couldn't leave the door
ajar unless you removed the bulb.

wrote:

We have the fix and there is no mildew whatsoever after it. By the way, I
examined the removed components when the fixed were done and the mildew
problem was pretty much all up front and easily cleaned. We never
considered it much of a problem.... we just kept the low part of the
rubber
seal clean and dry after laundry.

Did people who had this problem leave the door ajar when the washer
wasn't in use?

I don't do that for my top loader or for my dishwasher, but would have
made a difference in this case, without doing the fix?

"z" wrote in message
groups.com...