dave @ stejonda

Default blocks of stuff in drain out of washing machine

In message , j west +++
writes
hi, whilst renewing the bath outlet pipe, i noticed in the drain (used by
the washing machine) a very large congealed chunk of white crumbley powdery
stuff. i'm pretty sure it is formed from unused washing powder that has
passed through our washing machine (AEG oko-lavamat 610). Since it has the
same texture and appearance as the lumps you find in the washing powder
packet. ie persil colour care. the powder is put in a plastic ball and
placed in the machine. but large chunks of stuff in the drain, cannot be
right?

anyone any idea what's going on here please?

or could it be Calgon? Before fitting an ion-exchange water softener I
used to find adding Calgon tabs to the drum of our Bosch machine often
left lumps of goo at the end.

--
dave @ stejonda
Dave Liquorice

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 10:55:23 GMT, j west +++ wrote:

anyone any idea what's going on here please?

Most of the volume of washing powder is a "filler" the actual active
ingredients (the surficants) are normally less than 15%. It's this
filler that forms the white crumble in your drains. I guess the filler
is there to increase the accuracy of doseing the active ingredients
for the wash, I can't think of nay other valid reason.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

John Laird

wrote:

hi, whilst renewing the bath outlet pipe, i noticed in the drain (used by
the washing machine) a very large congealed chunk of white crumbley powdery
stuff. i'm pretty sure it is formed from unused washing powder that has
passed through our washing machine (AEG oko-lavamat 610). Since it has the
same texture and appearance as the lumps you find in the washing powder
packet. ie persil colour care. the powder is put in a plastic ball and
placed in the machine. but large chunks of stuff in the drain, cannot be
right?

anyone any idea what's going on here please?

I find it hard to believe a lump of washing powder could have survived a
journey around the inner drum, through the small gaps between that and the
outer drum, past the pump impellor and filter trap, and out the outlet hose.

Otoh, small particles could do so and then coalesce into a larger lump. I
prefer to use tablets in the drawer - no measuring or thinking required,
which suits thickies like me.

--
Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Mail john rather than nospam...
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
dave @ stejonda wrote:
or could it be Calgon? Before fitting an ion-exchange water softener I
used to find adding Calgon tabs to the drum of our Bosch machine often
left lumps of goo at the end.

Another reason for not using perhaps one of the biggest legal cons, then.

--
*Marathon runners with bad footwear suffer the agony of defeat.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

John Laird

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 14:22:18 GMT, "Doctor D." wrote:

I prefer to use tablets in the drawer - no measuring or thinking required,
which suits thickies like me.

Agree! We stopped using powder and now use tablets. This has stopped the
clogging we used to get in the waste of the machine, and the trap.
Clothes also wash better as we no longer end up with half the powder left in
the drawer!

I reckon I'm getting through not much more than half the amount of powder as
well. Cue the imminent withdrawal of tablets from supermarket shelves...

--
Life is complex: It consists of real and imaginary parts.

Mail john rather than nospam...

Rick Dipper

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 14:30:45 +0100, John Laird
wrote:

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 14:22:18 GMT, "Doctor D." wrote:

I prefer to use tablets in the drawer - no measuring or thinking required,
which suits thickies like me.

Agree! We stopped using powder and now use tablets. This has stopped the
clogging we used to get in the waste of the machine, and the trap.
Clothes also wash better as we no longer end up with half the powder left in
the drawer!

I reckon I'm getting through not much more than half the amount of powder as
well. Cue the imminent withdrawal of tablets from supermarket shelves...

The tables *SHOULD* stop you overdosing, overdosing is the biggest
reason the washing does not meet your expetations.

My offies used to be next to a room of washers where people in white
coats spent their lives trying to figure out how to stop people using
too much powder .............

Rick