Default Help - washing machine won't drain!

Andy Evans wrote:

My washing machine won't drain - where do I look first? There's a filter at the
bottom. If it isn't that, is it internal, or just the exit pipe is clogged? Can
I pour that fould drain cleaning fluid in to it or should I - groan - pull the
damn thing out (it's heavy) and look round the back? What's the basic
fault-finding process?
Thank you for helping me avoid BO! Andy

First pull the drain hose and put it lower than the drum, if it runs
freely the pumps stuck, if slowly the interceptor/filter has something
in it, either way you will end up having to drain it and/or flood the
floor. Thats why ours is right next to the conservatory door, easy to
drain outside! Oh yeas look for a new one pence piece stuck where the
hose fits to a spigot if its fully plumbed in, BTDT!#

Niel.

Andy Evans

My washing machine won't drain - where do I look first? There's a filter at the
bottom. If it isn't that, is it internal, or just the exit pipe is clogged? Can
I pour that fould drain cleaning fluid in to it or should I - groan - pull the
damn thing out (it's heavy) and look round the back? What's the basic
fault-finding process?
Thank you for helping me avoid BO! Andy

=== Andy Evans ===
Visit our Website:- http://www.artsandmedia.com
Audio, music and health pages and interesting links.

R P McMurphy

"Andy Evans" wrote in message
My washing machine won't drain - where do I look first? There's a filter

at the
bottom. If it isn't that, is it internal, or just the exit pipe is

clogged? Can
I pour that fould drain cleaning fluid in to it or should I - groan - pull

the
damn thing out (it's heavy) and look round the back? What's the basic
fault-finding process?
Thank you for helping me avoid BO! Andy

=== Andy Evans ===

Check for missing sox, undies ect in the pump or the sump under neathe the
machine if no luck with the pre pump filter that is proberbly on the front
of the machine.

steve

Bob Minchin

Andy Evans wrote:
My washing machine won't drain - where do I look first? There's a filter at the
bottom. If it isn't that, is it internal, or just the exit pipe is clogged? Can
I pour that fould drain cleaning fluid in to it or should I - groan - pull the
damn thing out (it's heavy) and look round the back? What's the basic
fault-finding process?
Thank you for helping me avoid BO! Andy

=== Andy Evans ===
Visit our Website:- http://www.artsandmedia.com
Audio, music and health pages and interesting links.

The first approach depends on whether you like playing with water or
electricity!
Taking the filter cover off will dump all the water on the floor.
It is possible that the pump is jammed. Turen off the power and water
Pull out the machine, take off the back and turn the pump by hand (there
is usually a fan to get hold of.
Assuming this is free to turn, disconnect the wiresfrom the pump and
make up a lead with a plug on on end and and connect the other end to
the pump. This should make the pump run. If it does not turn, then get
ready for the big puddle on the floor method.
If it pumps out then - fine.
If the pump runs but it does not pump out then you could have a blocked
drain pipe. With care and being prepared for the flood, remove the
outlet hose and unblock it.
Having got the water out and the washing out too. you can then
investigate why the pump is not being powered by the controller.
Pumps are relatively unversal with the main coice being the relative
position of the inlet, outlet and mounting holes. Your local repair shop
will possibly sell you a genereic model much cheaper than the
manufacturer's spare part.

Good luck

Bob

--
To Reply directly to my mailbox, change myisp to ntlworld

Harry Bloomfield

On 28/12/2003 "Andy Evans" opined:-
My washing machine won't drain - where do I look first? There's a filter at
the bottom. If it isn't that, is it internal, or just the exit pipe is
clogged? Can I pour that fould drain cleaning fluid in to it or should I -
groan - pull the damn thing out (it's heavy) and look round the back? What's
the basic fault-finding process?

1. Check the drain pipe is not kinked.
2. Check it is not blocked.

Then pull it out, remove the cover and see if there is rotation of the
pump. There is often a small cooling fan on the end of the pump shaft,
which will give a clue. If there is no rotation, it could be jammed,
burnt out, seized or perhaps no supply to the pump.

You can drain it by lowering the pump outlet pipe into a bowl or
similar.

Our machines pump stopped working a few months back, it turned out to
be some coins simply jamming the pump impellor. The cooling fan fins
could be moved a little way, which proved it wasn't seized.

I removed both rubber hoses and got the coins out with a pair of long
nosed pliers. Enough for a pint down the pub, in there ;-)

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (Lap)

Harry Bloomfield

"Andy Evans" wrote on Sunday (28/12/2003) :
Can
I pour that fould drain cleaning fluid in to it

No, don't do that....!

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (Lap)
http://www.ukradioamateur.org

Andy Evans

This is all very helpful. Now, the machine is currently empty - I've done the
'draining through the front' theatre. Conveniently I live on the 2nd floor. So
given that the machine's empty, can I try some other method?

It's looking like the machine needs to come out. I'm fine with electrics, so
after I check that the pipe's not blocked, I'll look at the pump. No cute
diagnostic tricks I can use before I pull the bloody thing out?

=== Andy Evans ===
Visit our Website:- http://www.artsandmedia.com
Audio, music and health pages and interesting links.
Red Herring

"Tom" wrote in message
.. .
Water pump failed?

If it is a faulty pump, in my experience, the impeller free's itself from
the knurled shaft. Drill through the impeller & shaft and insert a piece of
stainless rod, 1/16" maybe. Seems to last forever after that.

Phil

Harry Bloomfield wrote in message .uk...
"Andy Evans" wrote on Sunday (28/12/2003) :
Can
I pour that fould drain cleaning fluid in to it

No, don't do that....!

Smell Lad Smell
It is often a good idea to give a pump or any motor a quick sniff for
burning odour as this may stop you wasting a lot of time with messing
around
HTH Phil
Chippy

PoP wrote in message . ..

Make sure you disconnect from the electrical supply before you start
diving in (pun not intended).

The pump is a fairly common thing to go wrong. Your mission in
removing the back cover will be to locate the pump (shouldn't be hard,
it'll be at the bottom), then try spinning the rotor by hand if
possible.

Before removing anything, and before disconnecting the electricity, if
the machine has a rotary electro-mechanical control knob this should
be rotated while listening for the pump cutting in.

It also might help if the OP stated make and model.
Andy Evans

Before removing anything, and before disconnecting the electricity, if
the machine has a rotary electro-mechanical control knob this should be rotated
while listening for the pump cutting in. It also might help if the OP stated
make and model.

Ah! helpful. But can I do this without water, i.e. by shutting the taps going
into the machine? It's a Whirlpool W100 also says "1000" on it.

=== Andy Evans ===
Visit our Website:- http://www.artsandmedia.com
Audio, music and health pages and interesting links.
John Rouse

In article , Andy Evans
writes
This is all very helpful. Now, the machine is currently empty - I've done the
'draining through the front' theatre. Conveniently I live on the 2nd floor. So
given that the machine's empty, can I try some other method?

It's looking like the machine needs to come out. I'm fine with electrics, so
after I check that the pipe's not blocked, I'll look at the pump. No cute
diagnostic tricks I can use before I pull the bloody thing out?

I found after I drained the thing a trayful at a time that there is a
little hose tucked away next to the fluff filter that allows you to
drain the pump completely. I bought a replacement pump from one of the
internet sites, and the hose connector was fractionally smaller than on
the original, which meant a lot of creative tie-wrapping to get it to
fit.

John
--
John Rouse