Posted to alt.home.repair

Default any advice on a fridge?

OK, I think it's time for a new fridge... before I subject myself to the
slick talking salesmen at the local appliance emporium, can anyone
recommend any particular brands/models that are particularly good or
bad? I *tried* a web search... dear God are there a lot of fridges on
the market. Complete and total info overload...

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

If I were looking for a fridge, I would look at the Consumer Reports.

Good Luck

James

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 21:29:26 -0400, against all advice, something
compelled Nate Nagel , to say:

OK, I think it's time for a new fridge... before I subject myself to the
slick talking salesmen at the local appliance emporium, can anyone
recommend any particular brands/models that are particularly good or
bad? I *tried* a web search... dear God are there a lot of fridges on
the market. Complete and total info overload...

Hotpoint sucks. So far, I've been happy with my Maytag.

nate

--

Real men don't text.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
OK, I think it's time for a new fridge... before I subject myself to the
slick talking salesmen at the local appliance emporium, can anyone
recommend any particular brands/models that are particularly good or bad?
I *tried* a web search... dear God are there a lot of fridges on the
market. Complete and total info overload...

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

While I will defer to Consumer Reports as James suggested, I have had really
good service life from Whirpool products over the last 35 years.

Roper, Amana and GE installed in rental units have not faired as well.

I suggest you go and take a look at the different models and decide what
features are important to you.

The good news is they all cost less than 15 years ago and use less energy.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:

OK, I think it's time for a new fridge... before I subject myself to the
slick talking salesmen at the local appliance emporium, can anyone
recommend any particular brands/models that are particularly good or
bad? I *tried* a web search... dear God are there a lot of fridges on
the market. Complete and total info overload...

Get something made by Whirlpool, which includes Costco Kirkland,
Roper, Estate, and most but not all Sears Kenmores. And even though
Whirlpool has taken over Maytag, don't get one of the Maytag designs
or brands (Jenn-Air, Magic Chef, Amana), at least now yet. Also
Whirlpool parts tend to cost less than those for Maytag and GE
appliances.

Avoid anything made by Haier, including products sold under other
brands, like GE. A couple of years ago, when Consumer Reports tested
chest freezers, they found that a couple of Haier models let the
temperature exceed 40-45F, although the GE-branded ones were OK.

Notice that the failure rate for refrigerators roughly doubles when an
ice maker is included.

www.ApplianceAid.com and www.FixItNow.com have lots of info and
forums.

Posted to alt.home.repair
KC KC is offline

On Mar 17, 8:59*pm, Steve Daniels wrote:

Hotpoint sucks. *So far, I've been happy with my Maytag.

I agree about Hotpoint. Doesn't Maytag have a recall because some
units catching on fire?
IIRC, there are only 3 manufacturers with 4-5 brands from each.

KC
Posted to alt.home.repair

KC wrote:
On Mar 17, 8:59 pm, Steve Daniels wrote:

Hotpoint sucks. So far, I've been happy with my Maytag.

I agree about Hotpoint. Doesn't Maytag have a recall because some
units catching on fire?
IIRC, there are only 3 manufacturers with 4-5 brands from each.

KC

Hmmm,
Only thing good Maytag was washer. Now it is only name.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:

OK, I think it's time for a new fridge... before I subject myself to the
slick talking salesmen at the local appliance emporium, can anyone
recommend any particular brands/models that are particularly good or
bad? I *tried* a web search... dear God are there a lot of fridges on
the market. Complete and total info overload...

I think all the old "wisdom" is obsolete and you really need to inspect
each potential unit to get an idea of how well it is really engineered
and constructed.

My GE Profile Arctica fridge has been pretty much fine, other than
having to replace a broken plastic damper door. The door was not
available as a separate part, so I just fabricated a replacement. It's
been like 5 years since that repair and is still doing fine.

If I were shopping for a new fridge now, I'd look at GE, LG and a few
others and make my decision based on a thorough inspection.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 17, 10:29*pm, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:
"Colbyt" wrote in message

m...

While I will defer to Consumer Reports as James suggested, I have had
really good service life from Whirpool products over the last 35 years.

Roper, Amana and GE installed in rental units have not faired as well.

I usually buy Whirpool.

*Also unless they have changed Roper is made by Whirpool. *They usually
leave out the sound deading and a few other things to make them cheeper, but
I think the function is about the same.

Maytag was bought by Whirpool, but I would not buy one. *They used to be
very good, but that was many years ago and later they did not hold up very
well.

I don't think there's any one best brand out there. They all have
some problems eventually. But I was not happy with my Whirlpool top
freezer which had a blown compressor starter after only about 4 years
old. Thanks to some people on here who helped me trouble shoot the
problem, I got it fixed myself after about $40 for a new module.
Sounds like that is a very common problem with Whirlpool fridges.
Also, I do not like the configuration of the compressor coils
underneath the fridge. They are difficult to access to do a good job
of cleaning. Just my 2 cents.
Steve
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:
OK, I think it's time for a new fridge... before I subject myself to the
slick talking salesmen at the local appliance emporium, can anyone
recommend any particular brands/models that are particularly good or
bad? I *tried* a web search... dear God are there a lot of fridges on
the market. Complete and total info overload...

There aren't as many as it appears. Sometimes it's just the manufacturer
putting the different names on the same (or nearly the same) units. You
can see this when the recalls come out. Example:

Maytag Recalls Refrigerators Due to Fire Hazard.

Name of Product: Maytag®, Jenn-Air®, Amana®, Admiral®, Magic Chef®,
Performa by Maytag® and Crosley® brand refrigerators

Units: About 1.6 million

Manufacturer: Maytag Corp., of Newton, Iowa*

===

I'd check Consumer reports to get a short list, then check prices and
not spend too much time thinking about it.**

* And Maytag is owned by Whirlpool. There must be an appliance family
tree out there somewhere.

** That's not true. I would spend too much time thinking about it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"larry moe 'n curly" wrote in message

Get something made by Whirlpool, which includes Costco Kirkland,
Roper, Estate, and most but not all Sears Kenmores. And even though
Whirlpool has taken over Maytag, don't get one of the Maytag designs
or brands (Jenn-Air, Magic Chef, Amana), at least now yet. Also
Whirlpool parts tend to cost less than those for Maytag and GE
appliances.

Kitchen Aid is also made by Whirlpool. I've had god luck with mine.
Frigidare is another big supplier to Sears. I'd rate there stuff a notch or
two down.

Notice that the failure rate for refrigerators roughly doubles when an
ice maker is included.

Yes, I've repaired mine twice but I certainly like having it. Always plenty
of ice available. I'd not buy a fridge without that and a water dispenser.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 17, 10:35*pm, "Pete C." wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:

[...]

Two other things to consider. I recently bought a cabinet depth
model. They are designed to fit either totally flush or with only
the door sticking out if you have standard depth cabinets around
them. I think that is a huge plus. You get a built-in look and
don't have several inches of the fridge sticking out. They are about
the same storage capacity as a regular model, but do cost more.

The other is there is considerable variation in how they do ice
makers. Some are a lot more intrusive and take up more of the
convenient usable space. I bought a Kitchenaid for these two reasons.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Nate Nagel wrote:
OK, I think it's time for a new fridge... before I subject myself to the
slick talking salesmen at the local appliance emporium, can anyone
recommend any particular brands/models that are particularly good or
bad? I *tried* a web search... dear God are there a lot of fridges on
the market. Complete and total info overload...

I've found Whirlpool to be very reliable, and likewise the Kenmore brand from
Sears -- not surprising, since it's made by Whirlpool.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 17, 8:29*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
OK, I think it's time for a new fridge... before I subject myself to the
slick talking salesmen at the local appliance emporium, can anyone
recommend any particular brands/models that are particularly good or
bad? *I *tried* a web search... dear God are there a lot of fridges on
the market. *Complete and total info overload...

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Look at Consumers Reports reliability rating, it will help a bit, but
since all are probably made in China reliability ratings dont tell you
how its made today, and it changes every year. www.energystar.gov will
show you all efficency ratings, they are different. On reliability I
bought one companys humidifier, the next year I bought another, the
second one was junk and the company said they had alot of issues, i
could see they were totaly different. Reliability ratings will help a
bit and efficency ratings will save you money. Nothing is made like it
used to be.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 17, 9:29*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
OK, I think it's time for a new fridge... before I subject myself to the
slick talking salesmen at the local appliance emporium, can anyone
recommend any particular brands/models that are particularly good or
bad? *I *tried* a web search... dear God are there a lot of fridges on
the market. *Complete and total info overload...

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Just a note about reliability. We have a refrige in our breakroom at
work. It was bought in 1938,
and has probably in many homes. It was made by Westinghouse, tiny
little freezer compartment,
and ample room for food stuffs. It stills works, pop and milk are ice
cold. You can hardly hear the
compressor run and start. It was starting to freeze up liquids, so we
determined that the thermostat
was bad. We we going to toss it. Icalled Westinghouse, and asked the
parts man, if by some chance
he might haave a replacement. He poked fun, but he came back, and said
he actually had one,
and was in his hand. 15.00, and she is working again!! Talk about
the old days!
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Mar 18, 8:53*am, wrote:
[...]

I would be happy to buy your fridge if it is for sale

My grandparents had an old Servel gas-powered fridge in their
basement, it's probably still working for the new owners of the
house. Only downside was the tiny freezer and having to defrost it
every year.

nate

Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:
OK, I think it's time for a new fridge... before I subject myself to the
slick talking salesmen at the local appliance emporium, can anyone
recommend any particular brands/models that are particularly good or
bad? I *tried* a web search... dear God are there a lot of fridges on
the market. Complete and total info overload...

nate

Regardless of brand do NOT get a side by side.
Then decide on features you want like ice or water thru the door.
Top or bottom freezer?
Any good salesperson can help you but YOU must learn to listen.
Go to a place where sales people are NOT paid on commission.
A little homework, like reading Consumer Reports article should help.

Lou

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Mar 18, 10:42*am, LouB wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
OK, I think it's time for a new fridge... before I subject myself to the
slick talking salesmen at the local appliance emporium, can anyone
recommend any particular brands/models that are particularly good or
bad? *I *tried* a web search... dear God are there a lot of fridges on
the market. *Complete and total info overload...

nate

Regardless of brand do NOT get a side by side.
Then decide on features you want like ice or water thru the door.
Top or bottom freezer?
Any good salesperson can help you but YOU must learn to listen.
Go to a place where sales people are NOT paid on commission.
A little homework, like reading Consumer Reports article should help.

Lou

Why do you say not a side by side? I have a really badly laid out
kitchen and was thinking that that might be an easy way to make it
less obtrusive (fridge is in a niche that's right next to a doorway,
so if someone is looking for something in the fridge, it's impossible
to enter the kitchen.) SWMBO actually specifically stated that she
thought she'd prefer a side by side or else a french door bottom
freezer type.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

I've liked Whirlpool over the years. GE is too complicated.
They went to some circuit board that's two hundred bucks.
Heck with that. I'm still back in thermostat and defrost
timer days.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
OK, I think it's time for a new fridge... before I subject
myself to the
slick talking salesmen at the local appliance emporium, can
anyone
recommend any particular brands/models that are particularly
good or
bad? I *tried* a web search... dear God are there a lot of
fridges on
the market. Complete and total info overload...

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm not favoring GE, or LG, too complicated.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Pete C." wrote in message
ter.com...

If I were shopping for a new fridge now, I'd look at GE, LG
and a few
others and make my decision based on a thorough inspection.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Did you know what the rabbit in the refrigerator said?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Servel sent me a post card, couple years back. There was a
recall, monoxide getting into the homes. Please contact the
company. Have the model and serial copied down, they will
likely ask.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"N8N" wrote in message

My grandparents had an old Servel gas-powered fridge in
their
basement, it's probably still working for the new owners of
the
house. Only downside was the tiny freezer and having to
defrost it
every year.

nate

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sides are a royal pain to service. Also the freezer
compartment is about as wide as a paper back book standing
up. Can't fit much in there. Holday turkey? Forget it.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"LouB" wrote in message

Regardless of brand do NOT get a side by side.
Then decide on features you want like ice or water thru the
door.
Top or bottom freezer?
Any good salesperson can help you but YOU must learn to
listen.
Go to a place where sales people are NOT paid on commission.
A little homework, like reading Consumer Reports article
should help.

Lou

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 18, 1:25*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
I've liked Whirlpool over the years. GE is too complicated.
They went to some circuit board that's two hundred bucks.

Already had one of those replaced. It would go nuts and the
temperatures would jump up and down all over the place.

Jerry
Posted to alt.home.repair

N8N wrote:
On Mar 18, 10:42 am, LouB wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
[...]

French door bottom freezer makes all the sense.
Freezers in Side by sides suck.

Lou
Posted to alt.home.repair

That's not good. Fridges are supposed to be more stable. I
got visions of city people jumping up and down to rap music,
when I read that.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote:
I've liked Whirlpool over the years. GE is too
complicated.
They went to some circuit board that's two hundred bucks.

Already had one of those replaced. It would go nuts and the
temperatures would jump up and down all over the place.

Jerry

Posted to alt.home.repair

.

"LouB" wrote in message

Regardless of brand do NOT get a side by side.
Then decide on features you want like ice or water thru the
door.
Top or bottom freezer?
Any good salesperson can help you but YOU must learn to
listen.
Go to a place where sales people are NOT paid on commission.
A little homework, like reading Consumer Reports article
should help.

Lou

It's all just a matter of personal preference, and what features you
value. I had a side by side and just replaced it with a new one and
am very happy. Some of the comments here make no sense, like that
side by sides are a pain to service. First, I don't see why that
would be true. The main components of my side by side are readily
accessible. And even if they are more difficult to service, who
cares? If you get it fixed once in 10 years, big deal. Why should
I put my convenience secondary to a service mans? If it costs an
extra hour in labor, no big deal. In 30+ years, I have yet to have
to have a fridge serviced.

If you want ice/water available at the outside of the door, that
strongly pushes you to a side by side. Some of the other types have
them too, but then they have a seperate ice maker up top in the fridge
section that takes up space in a way that I think is more intrusive
than in a good side by side.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm one of those service guys. Replacing defrost heater
elements is a PIA in side by sides.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
Some of the comments here make no sense, like that
side by sides are a pain to service. First, I don't see
why that
would be true. The main components of my side by side are
readily
accessible. And even if they are more difficult to
service, who
cares? If you get it fixed once in 10 years, big deal.
Why should
I put my convenience secondary to a service mans? If it
costs an
extra hour in labor, no big deal. In 30+ years, I have
yet to have
to have a fridge serviced.

Posted to alt.home.repair
KLS KLS is offline

On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 21:29:26 -0400, Nate Nagel
wrote:

OK, I think it's time for a new fridge... before I subject myself to the
slick talking salesmen at the local appliance emporium, can anyone
recommend any particular brands/models that are particularly good or
bad?

The most reliable fridges are the ones with the top freezer and no ice
maker or water dispenser. Less stuff to break. But I know what you
mean about having a small kitchen: the narrower doors of the side by
sides do use less space for opening/closing. If you go that route,
avoid the ice maker and water dispenser for better reliability. The
can't get the on-sale holiday bird in there.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"KLS" wrote in message
The most reliable fridges are the ones with the top freezer and no ice
maker or water dispenser. Less stuff to break. But I know what you
mean about having a small kitchen: the narrower doors of the side by
sides do use less space for opening/closing. If you go that route,
avoid the ice maker and water dispenser for better reliability. The
drawback is the narrowness of the freezer side as someone else said:
can't get the on-sale holiday bird in there.

Avoid the automobile as they are not as reliable as the bicycle too. If the
icemaker craps out (and eventually it will), the refrigerator functions as
always, just no ice. At some points in life, you have to decide if the
convenience of automatic ice outweighs the eventual failure of the mechanism
and a $100 or so repair. I'm willing to pay. Make the choice as you see fit
for your needs.

As for the small freezer in a SbyS, it can take a smallish turkey, but not a
huge one. In my case, we have a big freezer too so it is not a problem
having a smaller one in the kitchen.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

OK, I think it's time for a new fridge... before I subject myself to the
slick talking salesmen at the local appliance emporium, can anyone
recommend any particular brands/models that are particularly good or
bad? I *tried* a web search... dear God are there a lot of fridges on
the market. Complete and total info overload...

nate

I've had good luck with Whirlpool and terrible with Maytag. Also good
luck with Kenmore, which usually is made by Whirlpool.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

OK, I think it's time for a new fridge... before I subject myself to the
slick talking salesmen at the local appliance emporium, can anyone
recommend any particular brands/models that are particularly good or
bad? *

The most reliable fridges are the ones with the top freezer and no ice
maker or water dispenser. *Less stuff to break. *But I know what you
mean about having a small kitchen: *the narrower doors of the side by
sides do use less space for opening/closing. *If you go that route,
avoid the ice maker and water dispenser for better reliability. *The
drawback is the narrowness of the freezer side as someone else said:
can't get the on-sale holiday bird in there.

I just measured my side by side. You have 13.5" wide by 15" deep to
work with, vertically 2X or more to work with. So, while you might
not be able to get the biggest turkey you can find in there, you can
get a reasonable size one in. I would say realistically, with ANY
fridge, you won't be able to fit a big bird because every fridge I've
seen is always full of other stuff to begin with.

Around here, NJ, the holiday turkeys are free if you buy $300 worth of
food in the previous 6 weeks. I just pick mine up a few days before
cooking. It's usually cold enough here, that I just put it in the
trunk of a car I have in the garage and let it thaw out. If
necessary, when it's partially thawed I can always put it in the
fridge section. Where, BTW, you could put a frozen turkey for a week
to thaw after bringing it home.

I only see putting it in the freezer as a means to keep it long
term. And IMO that'a not a very good use of fridge space, no matter
what the design. If you want to keep frozen turkey long term, better
to go with a frozen breast.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Forget turkeys what about frozen pizzas in a side by side?

Lou
All things in moderation EXCEPT hugs and humor.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Avoid the automobile as they are not as reliable as the bicycle too. If
the icemaker craps out (and eventually it will), the refrigerator
functions as always, just no ice. At some points in life, you have to
decide if the convenience of automatic ice outweighs the eventual failure
of the mechanism and a $100 or so repair. I'm willing to pay. Make the
choice as you see fit for your needs.

It if has tits or wheels, sooner or later, you got problems. I have had
fridges where the ice maker lasted longer than the fridge. And vice versa.
Ice makers aren't rocket surgery, particularly for anyone who listens to
alt.home.repair and who owns a pair of pliers, screwdriver, hammer, and
adjustable wrench.

If one can't install a new ice maker and save the $100 a repairman wants,
they need to UNSUBSCRIBE to this newsgroup, as they are too stupid to be
here.

In my life, there were up and down phases when an ice maker was important,
and when it turned into a solid block of ice that needed to be blasted out
every three months or so. Seemed to have some unexplainable link to
economic times in my life and whether there was cheap beer or single malt
scotch in the fridge.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"LouB" wrote in message
Forget turkeys what about frozen pizzas in a side by side?

Lou

They WILL freeze on edge standing up.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stay away from Magic Chef appliances. Their warrentes are worth less
than the paper they are written on. Of they have no parts in stock and
it can be over a month with no fridge to get the part to fix it.

--
Dymphna
Message Origin: TRAVEL.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message

"LouB" wrote in message
Forget turkeys what about frozen pizzas in a side by side?

The big one we had ( think it was 25 foot or larger) would hold them.
Moved and could only fit in a smaller one due to the built in cabinets. I
don't under stand why the space was so small as the house has 4 bedrooms
and the kitchen is large enough the space could have been made a few
inches wider. AS there are just two of us now that is ok. Only the pizzas
will not fit unless we take out a shelf in the freezer section. We can
cram in a round Tomestone or two, but not the large boxed kind. This is a
Whirlpool side by side with icemaker. If we had children still here or
stored a lot of frozen food we would have a small freezer in the
basement. I have often though about getting one just for the pizzas :-)

I have an old upright freezer in the garage that has to be thirty years old.
It won't die, and I can't kill it despite several attempts. It does have
the big flat shelves, but also has the wavy coils under the shelves that
need to be defrosted every year or so. Sometimes the frost and frozen
blocks get to a point where I just have to defrost enough to find out what
food is in there. Long as it's running, tho, it stays. IIRC, I paid $50
used when I bought it. If it's a garage or pantry hidden unit, what's the
difference? About $500 by my reckoning.

Steve