Posted to alt.home.repair

Default any advice on a fridge?

"LouB" wrote in message
Forget turkeys what about frozen pizzas in a side by side?

The big one we had ( think it was 25 foot or larger) would hold them.
Moved and could only fit in a smaller one due to the built in cabinets. I
don't under stand why the space was so small as the house has 4 bedrooms and
the kitchen is large enough the space could have been made a few inches
wider. AS there are just two of us now that is ok. Only the pizzas will not
fit unless we take out a shelf in the freezer section. We can cram in a
round Tomestone or two, but not the large boxed kind. This is a Whirlpool
side by side with icemaker. If we had children still here or stored a lot
of frozen food we would have a small freezer in the basement. I have often
though about getting one just for the pizzas :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue 17 Mar 2009 06:29:26p, Nate Nagel told us...

OK, I think it's time for a new fridge... before I subject myself to the
slick talking salesmen at the local appliance emporium, can anyone
recommend any particular brands/models that are particularly good or
bad? I *tried* a web search... dear God are there a lot of fridges on
the market. Complete and total info overload...

nate

We have a two year old top-freezer Whirlpool that were very happy with. Of
all the refrigerators we've had over the past two decades (numerous moves),
this Whirpool has had the most consistent temperature distribution, even with
frequent opening and closing.

--
Wayne Boatwright

"One man's meat is another man's poison"
- Oswald Dykes, English writer, 1709.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
On Tue 17 Mar 2009 06:29:26p, Nate Nagel told us...

OK, I think it's time for a new fridge... before I subject myself to the
slick talking salesmen at the local appliance emporium, can anyone
recommend any particular brands/models that are particularly good or
bad? I *tried* a web search... dear God are there a lot of fridges on
the market. Complete and total info overload...

nate

We have a two year old top-freezer Whirlpool that were very happy with. Of
all the refrigerators we've had over the past two decades (numerous moves),
this Whirpool has had the most consistent temperature distribution, even with
frequent opening and closing.

Thanks for all the replies. the above is esp. helpful as that is the
real problem that I'm having - poor temperature regulation, as well as
running constantly. I guess I'll have to get SWMBO involved now for
style/size/color input, but will give extra weight to Whirlpool products.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat 21 Mar 2009 04:36:29a, Nate Nagel told us...

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
[...]

Nate, FYI, this is the model we have. This one has a 22 cu. ft. capacity,
but is also available in two smaller sizes. The cabinet inself is black,
but the finish is listed as "Satina". It looks like stainless steel, but
is actual brushed aluminum under a tough polymer coating. It doesn't
smudge or have the cleaning challenges of stainless steel.

http://tinyurl.com/cqgrd8

--
Wayne Boatwright

"One man's meat is another man's poison"
- Oswald Dykes, English writer, 1709.
Posted to alt.home.repair
KLS KLS is offline

On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 22:35:34 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

"KLS" wrote in message
The most reliable fridges are the ones with the top freezer and no ice
maker or water dispenser. Less stuff to break. But I know what you
mean about having a small kitchen: the narrower doors of the side by
sides do use less space for opening/closing. If you go that route,
avoid the ice maker and water dispenser for better reliability. The
drawback is the narrowness of the freezer side as someone else said:
can't get the on-sale holiday bird in there.

Avoid the automobile as they are not as reliable as the bicycle too. If the
icemaker craps out (and eventually it will), the refrigerator functions as
always, just no ice. At some points in life, you have to decide if the
convenience of automatic ice outweighs the eventual failure of the mechanism
and a $100 or so repair. I'm willing to pay. Make the choice as you see fit
for your needs.

You like automatic ice. I don't. I'm not willing to pay for the
icemaker, and the reality is that not having an appliance does avoid
problems associated with said appliance. I use the trays, and life is
very simple in that area.

Ironic you're making this comment as you bought your range
specifically to avoid the fancy electronics that go bad and are
expensive to repair and went for a mechanical system. My pov on
icemakers is similar; they're more high tech than the plastic trays,
which suit my needs a lot better and for less cost.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun 22 Mar 2009 09:47:39a, KLS told us...

wrote:

"KLS" wrote in message
[...]

As with most everything else, it comes down to preferences, needs, and
choices. We use a *lot* of ice, and I wouldn't be without an icemaker.
When we were in a rental for a couple of years and without an icemker, I
think I used the trays twice, and from then on bought 20 pound bags of ice
to go into the freezer. I'm not an advocate of side-by-side units nor
those with ice and water through the door because I would agree that much
can go wrong with them. However, a simple icemker is basically a "plug n
play" module that any fool can replace for under $100. It's worth it to me.

--
Wayne Boatwright

"One man's meat is another man's poison"
- Oswald Dykes, English writer, 1709.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun 22 Mar 2009 09:47:39a, KLS told us...

You like automatic ice. I don't. I'm not willing to pay for the
icemaker, and the reality is that not having an appliance does avoid
problems associated with said appliance. I use the trays, and life is
very simple in that area.

Ironic you're making this comment as you bought your range
specifically to avoid the fancy electronics that go bad and are
expensive to repair and went for a mechanical system. My pov on
icemakers is similar; they're more high tech than the plastic trays,
which suit my needs a lot better and for less cost.

I don't think it is all that ironic. Having raised my kids and having
grandkids here a lot, the ice maker solved a problem. Our old fridge did
not have one and it was a PITA trying to get a cube. Getting kids to fill
ice trays is harder than getting them through school.

You are right about the range with no electronics. Like the icemaker,
everything is mechanical. I don't want a $300 circuit board holding me
hostage to use the oven or to boil water An icemaker may stop working, but
it does not render the rest of the refrigerator useless. I knew going in
that icemakers will eventually fail and mine did. I paid $50 and some time
to get back to having ice again.