Posted to alt.home.repair
KLS KLS is offline

Default any advice on a fridge?

On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 22:35:34 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

"KLS" wrote in message
The most reliable fridges are the ones with the top freezer and no ice
maker or water dispenser. Less stuff to break. But I know what you
mean about having a small kitchen: the narrower doors of the side by
sides do use less space for opening/closing. If you go that route,
avoid the ice maker and water dispenser for better reliability. The
drawback is the narrowness of the freezer side as someone else said:
can't get the on-sale holiday bird in there.

Avoid the automobile as they are not as reliable as the bicycle too. If the
icemaker craps out (and eventually it will), the refrigerator functions as
always, just no ice. At some points in life, you have to decide if the
convenience of automatic ice outweighs the eventual failure of the mechanism
and a $100 or so repair. I'm willing to pay. Make the choice as you see fit
for your needs.

You like automatic ice. I don't. I'm not willing to pay for the
icemaker, and the reality is that not having an appliance does avoid
problems associated with said appliance. I use the trays, and life is
very simple in that area.

Ironic you're making this comment as you bought your range
specifically to avoid the fancy electronics that go bad and are
expensive to repair and went for a mechanical system. My pov on
icemakers is similar; they're more high tech than the plastic trays,
which suit my needs a lot better and for less cost.