Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default any advice on a fridge?

Nate Nagel wrote:

OK, I think it's time for a new fridge... before I subject myself to the
slick talking salesmen at the local appliance emporium, can anyone
recommend any particular brands/models that are particularly good or
bad? I *tried* a web search... dear God are there a lot of fridges on
the market. Complete and total info overload...

I think all the old "wisdom" is obsolete and you really need to inspect
each potential unit to get an idea of how well it is really engineered
and constructed.

My GE Profile Arctica fridge has been pretty much fine, other than
having to replace a broken plastic damper door. The door was not
available as a separate part, so I just fabricated a replacement. It's
been like 5 years since that repair and is still doing fine.

If I were shopping for a new fridge now, I'd look at GE, LG and a few
others and make my decision based on a thorough inspection.