Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Help me get a lawn

Ok, this is the year. Built this house 3 years ago and I need a
lawn. The front lawn is almost 90% crabgrass. Wife thinks I am
wasting my time since "grass" already grows there ! Staring out my
front window looking at brown dead crabgrass and I have finally
snapped.

In the Northeast, can someone give me so ideas about how to get
started on getting a lawn growing instead of this mess. The goal here
is grass, any kind, I don't need a football field or a golf course
just grass. Goal is do it on the cheap if I can. Front lawn is
maybe 100x150 and including the back lawn is about 3/4 acre.

First thought is to get something to enrich the soil and discourages
crabgrass. Then get one of those slice-seeders and overseed the heck
out of it. Not much of a green thumb though can anyone give me some
advice?

Thanks!
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Ok, this is the year. Built this house 3 years ago and I need a
lawn. The front lawn is almost 90% crabgrass. Wife thinks I am
wasting my time since "grass" already grows there ! Staring out my
front window looking at brown dead crabgrass and I have finally
snapped.

In the Northeast, can someone give me so ideas about how to get
started on getting a lawn growing instead of this mess. The goal here
is grass, any kind, I don't need a football field or a golf course
just grass. Goal is do it on the cheap if I can. Front lawn is
maybe 100x150 and including the back lawn is about 3/4 acre.

First thought is to get something to enrich the soil and discourages
crabgrass. Then get one of those slice-seeders and overseed the heck
out of it. Not much of a green thumb though can anyone give me some
advice?

Since there has recently been construction, I'm guessing that the soil will
be compacted in places. The first thing that I would do is to rotovate the
soil to try and get a good tilth.

How do you know that the soil will need fertiliser? Was the plot a verdent
green before construction? If so, then fertiliser is likely not needed, or
could be surface sprinkled later.

The fastest and most expensive way to get a lawn this side of The Pond is to
buy in turf sods and lay them after rotovating and leveling.

If you are intending to go the seed route, after leveling you will need to
roll and then rake the seed in. Gentle hose after - not a downpour. Spend
time watching out the window as the birds come and collect the seed you have
put down.

As to type of grass seed, I cannot advise from here.

I dare say that someone more local will come along soon.

Have fun and stick with it!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 11:14:25 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

[...]

Crabgrass seeds can remain dormant for 20 years. Crabgrass growing
in a lawn will usually have sunny bare or sparsley planted areas.
Crabgrass has a hard time growing in thick grass, so until that time
you will need to apply a pre-emergent (I would guess immediately for
your area), and apply it again in 90 days. The cheapest method to
get a lawn is with the highest-quality seed you can find. Using cheap
or seed with a high weed content will result in more work, or even
disappointing results. Do not sow seed until the pre-emergent period
is over. Find out the best time to plant and the best kind of grass
for your area. Crabgrass is an annual, so are you saying you have a
10% grass lawn during winter?

It may be a better idea to contract for 12 months with no
experience/equipment to do the job, then start doing regular
maintenance yourself. A nice lawns needs work and patience.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote

Ok, this is the year. Built this house 3 years ago and I need a
lawn. The front lawn is almost 90% crabgrass. Wife thinks I am
wasting my time since "grass" already grows there ! Staring out my
front window looking at brown dead crabgrass and I have finally
snapped.

Grin, not in the same situation but I know the feeling. Our lovely well
tended grass was a mess after 7 years away in Japan (rented out).

Even crabgrass where you are goes brown in that cold. If you cant use the
advice others posted here (resodd, wait til fall etc), you can slowly beat
it down and have some better greenery this year. Next year will be better.

Go to a local garden store. Preferably not a 'HQ/LOwes' sort but that will
work if you can not find better. The local most selling grass seed is
probably what you want and will do well enough. You dont need soil testing
as you said you didnt want a fancy golf green, just normal grass. You may
need to run an airator well over the whole mess a bunch of times (that
spikey thing that looks like a rake and rolls along poking holes).

They sell crabgrass killer here. I bet they do where you are too. It takes
time to work (2 seasons to really work). If zoning allows, do not cut the
grass too close. Let it be 4-5 inches at least normally and up to 6 before
cutting for just this spring. The real grass will take over in conditions
like that.

Yes, seeding works best in fall, but you can seed now and get quite a bit of
effect back.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 14, 2:26*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
wrote:
[...]

What a friend of mine did, when he moved into a property that had been
somewhat neglected, was to roll black plastic out over the back yard and
leave it there for a whole year. *Then he tilled it and planted new
grass. *Actually worked OK.

Alternately you could shave the top inch or so off with a Bobcat and
just have sod installed.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel- Hide quoted text -

I had a lot of trouble getting my lawn started until someone told me
to seed and fertilize my lawn just before a snow. It didnt make sense
to me but my grass really came in.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Don't go there. They don't like lawns, fertilizers, pre-emergents, or
anything else a monk would not do.

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

What did you start with when the home was built - sod in front, seed
thrown down by builder, no lawn? Shady? Sunny? Top soil depth?
Sprinklers? Nobody can give you good advice for your lawn without
knowing the conditions, other than to "consult your local extension
service". Soil test is good idea. Pre-emergent crabgrass herbicide is
good idea - if you want to plant a lawn this spring or this fall, having
less crabgrass seed to compete with will help either way. Get out as
much rock as possible - yeh, crawl around your 3/4 acre or hire
neighborhood kids to do it. Get advice from ex. serv. for seed to plant
- might as well make the right initial investment that you can build on.
If you kill the crabgrass, something else will take it's place and it
might as well be desirable grass, rather than more weeds.

Steer clear of weed-and-feed mixes - slow-release nitrogen is better for
the lawn and better for environment. Herbicides, esp. broadleaf, work
better on ACTIVELY GROWING WEEDS and the lawn grass has a better chance
of withstanding damaging effects if it isn't stressed - so feed first,
get both going, then kill weeds. Don't use either in hot, dry weather.
Broadleaf herbicides are rarely needed as regular, all-over treatment;
get most of the weeds first or second application, then spot-treat or
pull as the lawn grass fills in.

This is all assuming your diagnosis is right and you do have crabgrass -
dig up a plug to take to your extension service to ID and get advice.
Proper watering and mowing have everything to do with how much work your
lawn will need to keep it decent. If you think you might install or
alter a sprinkler system, plan your landscaping beforehand, so you don't
need to cut tree roots or have dead zones where sprinklers are blocked
by trees. Got a riding mower? Want all grass, or "islands" of other
plants that save you mowing and trimming? See the ext. service info for
ideas and guidance in choosing plants. Once you get weeds under
control, whatever your final plan is, proper mowing and weeding will
save trouble - just pulling one weed might keep a few hundred or a few
thousand more from growing from seed. Healthy, thick, properly cut
grass helps discourage weeds. Have fun!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Phisherman wrote:
Don't go there. They don't like lawns, fertilizers, pre-emergents, or
anything else a monk would not do.

You got that right

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

I will admit to reading not all of the replies.

You CAN NOT use crab grass control and seed within 6 months.

Your best option at this point in time is to control crab grass and kill
weeds.

Seed in the early fall and next year with a little luck you will have a nice
lawn.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

Colbyt wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

It varies - gotta read the label.

Your best option at this point in time is to control crab grass and kill
weeds.

And leave bare soil? Pointless!

Seed in the early fall and next year with a little luck you will have a nice
lawn.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 15, 7:47*pm, "Colbyt" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

Not true. There are pre-emergent products that you can use with new
seeding, Tupersan being one.

Your best option at this point in time is to control crab grass and kill
weeds.

Seed in the early fall and next year with a little luck you will have a nice
lawn.

That I 100% agree with.

Colbyt- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Hi,
Negligence? How coyuld crab grass take over the yard? If I were you I'd
rip out the whole yard and start from scratch. Till, use good top soil
seed or sod with some slow acting feretilizer. Water well and baby it
until grass took over. Overseeding will not give healthy lawn. You need
lots of manual laobor to do it right.

A good scolding ) It isn't difficult to realize how crabgrass takes
over a whole lawn - the nasty stuff can have very tough runners 20' long
or longer. Ripping out a whole lawn isn't the best advice, without
knowing whether there is decent topsoil, a sprinkler, etc. The OP
didn't offer enough info to really get a good formula for dealing with
the "crabgrass". If he wants a low maintenance lawn, then overseeding
and treating weeds gradually may be just the ticket. Photos would help.
Also to deal with before spending a lot of money on solutions is to
consider, first, whether the lot is properly graded and drained - can be
big problems and horribly wasteful to deal with after putting in a lawn.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote

started on getting a lawn growing instead of this mess. The goal here
is grass, any kind, I don't need a football field or a golf course
just grass. Goal is do it on the cheap if I can. Front lawn is

or longer. Ripping out a whole lawn isn't the best advice, without
knowing whether there is decent topsoil, a sprinkler, etc. The OP didn't
offer enough info to really get a good formula for dealing with the
"crabgrass". If he wants a low maintenance lawn, then overseeding and
treating weeds gradually may be just the ticket. Photos would help.

Correct and I think the critical part many missed, is he's not looking for
'fantasmagorically' perfect, just an average lawn. Assuming he has topsoil,
I'd over seed with a weed-n-feed crabgrass killer for now. Bound to look
better than what he has this year and he can do the proper stuff in fall to
make it more perfect.

Craftsman lawn mower scalps lawn- need advice George Abbot Home Repair 14 May 31st 08 01:27 PM
Lawn Help [email protected] Home Repair 9 April 9th 08 02:55 AM
fall lawn care for "newly" seeded lawn jIM Home Repair 5 September 23rd 06 04:12 AM
Lawn Jen Home Repair 7 May 11th 05 02:29 PM
Can my Craftsman 15.5 hp, 42 in. Deck Lawn Tractor use Craftsman 42 in. Deluxe Lawn Tractor Snow Thrower B52 Home Ownership 1 January 14th 04 04:31 PM