Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected][_2_] norminn@earthlink.net[_2_] is offline

Default Help me get a lawn

wrote:
Ok, this is the year. Built this house 3 years ago and I need a
lawn. The front lawn is almost 90% crabgrass. Wife thinks I am
wasting my time since "grass" already grows there ! Staring out my
front window looking at brown dead crabgrass and I have finally
snapped.

In the Northeast, can someone give me so ideas about how to get
started on getting a lawn growing instead of this mess. The goal here
is grass, any kind, I don't need a football field or a golf course
just grass. Goal is do it on the cheap if I can. Front lawn is
maybe 100x150 and including the back lawn is about 3/4 acre.

First thought is to get something to enrich the soil and discourages
crabgrass. Then get one of those slice-seeders and overseed the heck
out of it. Not much of a green thumb though can anyone give me some
advice?

Thanks!

What did you start with when the home was built - sod in front, seed
thrown down by builder, no lawn? Shady? Sunny? Top soil depth?
Sprinklers? Nobody can give you good advice for your lawn without
knowing the conditions, other than to "consult your local extension
service". Soil test is good idea. Pre-emergent crabgrass herbicide is
good idea - if you want to plant a lawn this spring or this fall, having
less crabgrass seed to compete with will help either way. Get out as
much rock as possible - yeh, crawl around your 3/4 acre or hire
neighborhood kids to do it. Get advice from ex. serv. for seed to plant
- might as well make the right initial investment that you can build on.
If you kill the crabgrass, something else will take it's place and it
might as well be desirable grass, rather than more weeds.

Steer clear of weed-and-feed mixes - slow-release nitrogen is better for
the lawn and better for environment. Herbicides, esp. broadleaf, work
better on ACTIVELY GROWING WEEDS and the lawn grass has a better chance
of withstanding damaging effects if it isn't stressed - so feed first,
get both going, then kill weeds. Don't use either in hot, dry weather.
Broadleaf herbicides are rarely needed as regular, all-over treatment;
get most of the weeds first or second application, then spot-treat or
pull as the lawn grass fills in.

This is all assuming your diagnosis is right and you do have crabgrass -
dig up a plug to take to your extension service to ID and get advice.
Proper watering and mowing have everything to do with how much work your
lawn will need to keep it decent. If you think you might install or
alter a sprinkler system, plan your landscaping beforehand, so you don't
need to cut tree roots or have dead zones where sprinklers are blocked
by trees. Got a riding mower? Want all grass, or "islands" of other
plants that save you mowing and trimming? See the ext. service info for
ideas and guidance in choosing plants. Once you get weeds under
control, whatever your final plan is, proper mowing and weeding will
save trouble - just pulling one weed might keep a few hundred or a few
thousand more from growing from seed. Healthy, thick, properly cut
grass helps discourage weeds. Have fun!