Posted to alt.home.repair
JIMMIE JIMMIE is offline

Default Help me get a lawn

On Mar 14, 2:26*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
wrote:
Ok, this is the year. *Built this house 3 years ago and I need a
lawn. *The front lawn is almost 90% crabgrass. *Wife thinks I am
wasting my time since "grass" already grows there ! * Staring out my
front window looking at brown dead crabgrass and I have finally
snapped.

In the Northeast, can someone give me so ideas about how to get
started on getting a lawn growing instead of this mess. *The goal here
is grass, any kind, I don't need a football field or a golf course
just grass. *Goal is do it on the cheap if I can. * Front lawn is
maybe 100x150 and including the back lawn is about 3/4 acre.

First thought is to get something to enrich the soil and discourages
crabgrass. *Then get one of those slice-seeders and overseed the heck
out of it. *Not much of a green thumb though can anyone give me some
advice?

Thanks!

What a friend of mine did, when he moved into a property that had been
somewhat neglected, was to roll black plastic out over the back yard and
leave it there for a whole year. *Then he tilled it and planted new
grass. *Actually worked OK.

Alternately you could shave the top inch or so off with a Bobcat and
just have sod installed.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel- Hide quoted text -

I had a lot of trouble getting my lawn started until someone told me
to seed and fertilize my lawn just before a snow. It didnt make sense
to me but my grass really came in.

Jimmie