Posted to alt.home.repair
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default Help me get a lawn

wrote

Ok, this is the year. Built this house 3 years ago and I need a
lawn. The front lawn is almost 90% crabgrass. Wife thinks I am
wasting my time since "grass" already grows there ! Staring out my
front window looking at brown dead crabgrass and I have finally
snapped.

Grin, not in the same situation but I know the feeling. Our lovely well
tended grass was a mess after 7 years away in Japan (rented out).

Even crabgrass where you are goes brown in that cold. If you cant use the
advice others posted here (resodd, wait til fall etc), you can slowly beat
it down and have some better greenery this year. Next year will be better.

Go to a local garden store. Preferably not a 'HQ/LOwes' sort but that will
work if you can not find better. The local most selling grass seed is
probably what you want and will do well enough. You dont need soil testing
as you said you didnt want a fancy golf green, just normal grass. You may
need to run an airator well over the whole mess a bunch of times (that
spikey thing that looks like a rake and rolls along poking holes).

They sell crabgrass killer here. I bet they do where you are too. It takes
time to work (2 seasons to really work). If zoning allows, do not cut the
grass too close. Let it be 4-5 inches at least normally and up to 6 before
cutting for just this spring. The real grass will take over in conditions
like that.

Yes, seeding works best in fall, but you can seed now and get quite a bit of
effect back.