Posted to alt.home.repair
clot clot is offline

Default Help me get a lawn

wrote:
Ok, this is the year. Built this house 3 years ago and I need a
lawn. The front lawn is almost 90% crabgrass. Wife thinks I am
wasting my time since "grass" already grows there ! Staring out my
front window looking at brown dead crabgrass and I have finally
snapped.

In the Northeast, can someone give me so ideas about how to get
started on getting a lawn growing instead of this mess. The goal here
is grass, any kind, I don't need a football field or a golf course
just grass. Goal is do it on the cheap if I can. Front lawn is
maybe 100x150 and including the back lawn is about 3/4 acre.

First thought is to get something to enrich the soil and discourages
crabgrass. Then get one of those slice-seeders and overseed the heck
out of it. Not much of a green thumb though can anyone give me some
advice?

Since there has recently been construction, I'm guessing that the soil will
be compacted in places. The first thing that I would do is to rotovate the
soil to try and get a good tilth.

How do you know that the soil will need fertiliser? Was the plot a verdent
green before construction? If so, then fertiliser is likely not needed, or
could be surface sprinkled later.

The fastest and most expensive way to get a lawn this side of The Pond is to
buy in turf sods and lay them after rotovating and leveling.

If you are intending to go the seed route, after leveling you will need to
roll and then rake the seed in. Gentle hose after - not a downpour. Spend
time watching out the window as the birds come and collect the seed you have
put down.

As to type of grass seed, I cannot advise from here.

I dare say that someone more local will come along soon.

Have fun and stick with it!